Funded in part by a Queensland Government Smart State Ph.D. Scholarship and grants from the Wildlife Preservation Society of Australia, Project Aware, and the Australian Coral Reef Society to R. J. L.
Influence of dietary specialization and resource availability on geographical variation in abundance of butterflyfish
Version of Record online: 5 JUN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 7, pages 1347–1361, July 2012
How to Cite
Lawton, R. J. and Pratchett, M. S. (2012), Influence of dietary specialization and resource availability on geographical variation in abundance of butterflyfish. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1347–1361. doi: 10.1002/ece3.253
- Issue online: 6 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 5 JUN 2012
- Received: 29 January 2012; Revised: 5 March 2012; Accepted: 7 March 2012
- 1990. Habitat selection: an experimental field test with two gerbil species. Ecology 71:2358–2369. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Resource selection plasticity and community responses to experimental reduction of a critical resource. Ecology 89:971–980. , and .
- 1981. The community structure of coral reef fishes. Am. Nat. 117:476–495. , , , , , and .
- 1984. Influence of live coral cover on coral-reef fish communities. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 15:265–274. , and .
- 1985. Large scale spatial variation in abundance of butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae) on Polynesian reefs. Pp. 421–426 in Proceedings of the Fifth International Coral Reef Congress. 27 May–1 June 1985, Tahiti. , , and .
- 2001. Regional-scale assembly rules and biodiversity of coral reefs. Science 292:1532–1535. , and .
- 2006a. Effects of resource availability on the competitive behaviour of butterflyfishes (Chaetondontidae). In Proceedings of the 10th International Coral Reef Symposium, Okinawa , Japan . , and .
- 2006b. Recovery without resilience: persistent disturbance and long-term shifts in the structure of fish and coral communities at Tiahura Reef, Moorea. Coral Reefs 25:647–653. , and .
- 2005. Within-reef differences in diet and body condition of coral-feeding butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae). Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 287:217–227. , , and .
- 2009. Interactive effects of interspecific competition and microhabitat on early post-settlement survival in a coral reef fish. Coral Reefs 28:265–274. , , , and .
- 2002. Distribution changes after settlement in six species of damselfish (Pomacentridae) in One Tree Island lagoon, Great Barrier Reef. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 226:157–164.
- 1985. Impact of coral degradation on a Chaetodontid fish assemblage (Moorea, French Polynesia). Proc. 5th Int. Coral Reef Symp. 5:427–432. , , and .
- 2005. An analysis of fish-habitat associations on disturbed coral reefs: chaetodontid fishes in New Caledonia. J. Fish Biol. 66:966–982. , , and .
- 2002. Dietary niche breadth for Central European birds: correlations with species-specific traits. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4:643–657. , , , and .
- 1984. On the relationship between abundance and distribution of species. Am. Nat. 124:255–279.
- 1995. Spatial variation in abundance. Ecology 76:2028–2043. , , and .
- 1999. Spatial distribution of chaetodontid fish in coral reefs of the Ryukyu Islands, southern Japan. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 79:725–735. , , and .
- 1996. Recruitment and the local dynamics of open marine populations. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:477–500. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Effects of juvenile coral-feeding butterflyfishes on host corals. Coral Reefs 30:623–630. , and .
- 2008. Diversity and functional importance of coral-feeding fishes on tropical coral reefs. Fish Fish. 9:286–307. , , and .
- 1983. On the prevalence and relative importance of interspecific competition—evidence from field experiments. Am. Nat. 122:661–696. .
- 2005. Relationship of habitat stability and intra-specific population dynamics of an obligate corallivore butterflyfish. Aquat. Conserv. Mar. Freshwat. Ecosyst. 15:S13–S25. , and .
- 1991. Spatial and temporal patterns in recruitment. Pp. 261–293 in P. F. Sale, ed. The ecology of fishes on coral reefs. Academic Press, San Diego , CA .
- 2002. Variable replenishment and the dynamics of reef fish populations. Pp. 327–358 in P. F. Sale, ed. Coral reef fishes: dynamics and diversity in a complex ecosystem. Academic Press, San Diego , CA .
- 1996. The importance of sampling scale in ecology: kilometer-wide variation in coral reef communities. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 143:165–171. , and .
- 2010. Great Barrier Reef butterflyfish community structure: the role of shelf position and benthic community type. Coral Reefs 29:705–715. , , , and .
- 2001. Global, regional, and local patterns in species richness and abundance of butterflyfishes. Ecol. Monogr. 71:69–91. , and .
- 1995. Strong density-dependent survival and recruitment regulate the abundance of a coral reef fish. Oecologia 103:275–282.
- 1990. Spatial and temporal patterns of distribution and abundance of chaetodontid fishes at One Tree Reef, southern GBR. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 64:39–53.
- 1997. Interspecific abundance range size relationships: an appraisal of mechanisms. J. Anim. Ecol. 66:579–601. , , and .
- 2007. Ecological versatility and the decline of coral feeding fishes following climate driven coral mortality. Mar. Biol. 153:119–127.
- 2000. Explanations of commonness and rarity in British breeding birds: separating resource use and resource availability. Oikos 88:515–526. , and .
- 2004. Resilience to large-scale disturbance in coral and fish assemblages on the Great Barrier Reef. Ecology 85:1892–1905. , , , and .
- 2002. Rarity, specialization and extinction in primates. J. Biogeogr. 29:445–456. , , and .
- 2000. Spatial patterns in abundance of a damselfish reflect availability of suitable habitat. Oecologia 122:109–120. , , and .
- 1999. Patterns of recruitment and abundance of corals along the Great Barrier Reef. Nature 397:59–63. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Rarity in coral reef fish communities. Pp. 549 in P. F. Sale, ed. Coral reef fishes: dynamics and diversity in a complex ecosystem. Academic Press, Sydney . , , and .
- 2004. Common birds facing global changes: what makes a species at risk? Glob. Change Biol. 10:148–154. , , and .
- 2003. Species decline—but why? Explanations of carabid beetle (Coleoptera, Carabidae) declines in Europe. Oecologia 135:138–148. , and .
- 1999. Ecological methodology, 2nd ed. Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park , CA .
- 2011. High gene flow across large geographic scales reduces extinction risk for a highly specialised coral feeding butterflyfish. Mol. Ecol. 20:3584–3598. , , , and .
- 2012. The use of specialisation indices to predict vulnerability of coral-feeding butterflyfishes to environmental change. Oikos 121:191–200. , , and .
- Geographic variation in resource use by specialist versus generalist butterflyfishes. Ecography. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0587.2011.07326.x. In press . , , , and .
- 2006. Ecological consequences of major hydrodynamic disturbances on coral reefs. Nature 444:477–480. , and .
- 2000. Bleaching of corals on the Great Barrier Reef: differential susceptibilities among taxa. Coral Reefs 19:155–163. , and .
- 2002. Effects of the 1998 coral morality event on Kenyan coral reefs and fisheries. Ambio 31:543–550. , , and .
- 2002. Does habitat availability determine geographical-scale abundances of coral-dwelling fishes? Coral Reefs 21:105–116.
- 2009. Responses of a specialist and a generalist seed predator to variation in their common resource. Oikos 118:1471–1476. , , and .
- 2010. Changes in coral assemblages during an outbreak of Acanthaster planci; at Lizard Island, northern Great Barrier Reef (1995–1999). Coral Reefs 29:717–725.
- 2008a. Habitat associations of juvenile versus adult butterflyfishes. Coral Reefs 27:541–551. , , , , and .
- 2005. Dietary overlap among coral-feeding butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae) at Lizard Island, northern Great Barrier Reef. Mar. Biol. 148:373–382.
- 2008. Interspecific variation in distributions and diets of coral reef butterflyfishes (Teleostei: Chaetodontidae). J. Fish Biol. 73:1730–1747. , and .
- 2006. Declines in the abundance of Chaetodon butterflyfishes following extensive coral depletion. J. Fish Biol. 69:1269–1280. , , and .
- 2008b. Effects of climate-induced coral bleaching on coral-reef fishes—ecological and economic consequences. Oceanography and marine biology: an annual review, Vol. 46, pp. 251–296. Crc Press-Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton . , , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Relationships between geographical range size, body size, local abundance, and habitat breadth in North American suckers and sunfishes. J. Biogeogr. 26:549–558.
- 1996. Interspecific competition controls abundance and habitat use of territorial caribbean damselfishes. Ecology 77:885–899.
- 2011. The role of resources and risks in regulating wild bee populations. Ann. Rev. Entomol. 56:293–312. , and .
- 1987. Long-term effects of destruction of hermatypic corals by Acanthaster planci infestation on reef fish communities at Iriomote Island, Japan. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 37:191–199. , , and .
- 1990. Population responses of surfperch released from competition. Ecology 71:1653–1665. , and .
- 1999. Mortality of juvenile damselfish: implications for assessing processes that determine abundance. Ecology 80:35–50. , and .
- 1982. Niche breadth, resource availability, and inference. Ecology 63:1675–1681.
- 2003. Responses of ‘resistant’ vertebrates to habitat loss and fragmentation: the importance of niche breadth and range boundaries. Divers. Distrib. 9:1–18. , , , and .
- 2003. Seasonal distribution of a migratory bird: effects of local and regional resource tracking. J. Biogeogr. 30:1583–1591. , and .
- 1996. Scales of spatial patterns of distribution of intertidal invertebrates. Oecologia 107:212–224. , and .
- 2000. Corals of the world. Australian Institute of Marine Science, Townsville .
- 1983. Recruitment and population dynamics of a coral reef fish. Science 219:419–420.
- 1986. Larval settlement and juvenile mortality in a recruitment-limited coral reef fish population. Ecol. Monogr. 56:145–160.
- 2006. Multiple disturbances and the global degradation of coral reefs: are reef fishes at risk or resilient? Glob. Change Biol. 12:2220–2234. , , , , and .
- 2006. Seasonal availability of abundant, energy-rich prey influences the abundance and diet of a marine predator, the Steller sea lion Eumetopias jubatus. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 325:281–293. , and .
- 2004. Asymmetric competition, habitat selection, and niche overlap in juvenile salmonids. Ecology 85:134–149.
- 1999. Biostatistical analysis, 4th ed. Prentice Hall, NJ .