Funded by a QEII Fellowship (DP0881019) to S. C. G. from the Australian Research Council, and a Postdoctoral Fellowship to Nina Svedin from the Research Council FORMAS.
The role of the Ord Arid Intrusion in the historical and contemporary genetic division of long-tailed finch subspecies in northern Australia
Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 1208–1219, June 2012
How to Cite
Rollins, L. A., Svedin, N., Pryke, S. R. and Griffith, S. C. (2012), The role of the Ord Arid Intrusion in the historical and contemporary genetic division of long-tailed finch subspecies in northern Australia. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1208–1219. doi: 10.1002/ece3.259
- Issue online: 12 JUN 2012
- Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2012
- Received: 15 January 2012; Revised: 15 March 2012; Accepted: 16 March 2012
- 2000. Phylogeography: the history and formation of species. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge , MA .
- 1999. Median-joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Mol. Biol. Evol. 16:37–48. , , and .
- 2011. Missing the forest for the gene trees: conservation genetics is more than the identification of distinct population segments. Auk 128:792–794. , , , , , , and .
- 1989. Organelle gene diversity under migration, mutation, and drift: equilibrium expectations, approach to equilibrium, effects of heteroplasmic cells, and comparison to nuclear genes. Genetics 121:613–627. , , and .
- 1988. Comments on the subspecies of Australian native and introduced finches. Emu 88:20–24.
- 2010. Biogeography of the Australian monsoon tropics. J. Biogeogr. 37:201–216. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2011. Challenges to assessing connectivity between massive populations of the Australian plague locust. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 278:3152–3160. , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Finches and sparrows: an identification guide. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 1991. Patterns of diversification within continental biotas: hierarchical congruence among the areas of endemism of Australian vertebrates. Aust. Syst. Bot. 4:211–227.
- 2010. New methods to identify conserved microsatellite loci and develop primer sets of high utility—as demonstrated for birds. Mol. Ecol. Res.10:475–494. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Late Quaternary cyclic aridity in tropical Australia. Palaeogeogr. Palaeoclimatol. Palaeoecol. 170:1–9.
- 2005. Speciation in birds: genes, geography, and sexual selection. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:6550–6557. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software structure: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 2011. Mitochondrial and microsatellite assessment of population structure of South American sea lion (Otaria flavescens) in the Southwestern Atlantic Ocean. Mar. Biol. 158:1857–1867. , , , and .
- 2011. The complimentary role of genetic and ecological data in understanding population structure: a case study using moose (Alces alces). Eur. J. Wildl. Res.58:415–423. , , , , , , and .
- 1978. Geographical isolation and morphological and habitat differentiation between birds of the Kimberley and the Northern Territory. Emu 78:25–35.
- 2007. Development of polymorphic microsatellite markers for the zebra finch (Taeniopygia guttata). Mol. Ecol. Notes 7:1026–1028. , , , and .
- 1999. A simple and universal method for molecular sexing of non-ratite birds. J. Avian Biol. 30:116–121. , and .
- 2011. Parental care in wild and captive zebra finches: measuring food delivery to quantify parental effort. Anim. Behav. 81:289–295. , , , and .
- 1995. FSTAT (version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. J. Hered. 86:485–486.
- 2001. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3). Lausanne, Switzerland. Available at: http://www2.unil.ch/popgen/softwares/fstat.htm
- 2002. Tests for sex-biased dispersal using bi-parentally inherited genetic markers. Mol. Ecol. 11:1103–1114. , , and .
- 1980. Mating systems, philopatry and dispersal in birds and mammals. Anim. Behav. 28:1140–1162.
- 2000. Discrepancies in population differentiation at microsatellites, mitochondrial DNA and plumage colour in the pied flycatcher—inferring evolutionary processes. Mol. Ecol. 9:1137–1148. , , and .
- 1922. Sex ratio and unisexual sterility in hybrid animals. J. Genet. 12:101–109.
- 1974. Estrildidae. Pp.319–327 in B. P. Hall, ed. Birds of the Harold Hall Australian expeditions 1962–1970. British Museum (Natural History), London .
- 1999. Highly variable loci and their interpretation in evolution and conservation. Evolution 53:313–318.
- 2004. Genetic consequences of climatic oscillations in the Quaternary. Philos. Transac. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 359:183–195.
- Higgins, P. J., J. M. Peter, and S. J. Cowling, eds. 2006. Handbook of Australian, New Zealand & Antarctic birds. Vol. 7: boatbills to starlings. Oxford Univ. Press, Melbourne .
- 1982. Australian finches in bush and aviary. Angus & Robertson, Sydney .
- 2005. Speciational history of Australian grass finches (Poephila) inferred from thirty gene trees. Evolution 59:2033–2047. , and .
- 2005. Population genetic structure in migratory sandhill cranes and the role of Pleistocene glaciations. Mol. Ecol. 14:2645–2657. , , , and .
- 2010. The impact of Pleistocene changes of climate and landscape on Australian birds: a test using the Pied Butcherbird (Cracticus nigrogularis). Emu 110:285–295. , , and .
- 1958. Infraspecific variation in the Australian finches. Emu 58:219–246.
- 1961. Bird speciation on the Australian continent. Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. Harvard 123:305–495.
- 2008. Divergence across Australia's Carpentarian barrier: statistical phylogeography of the red-backed fairy wren (Malurus melanocephalus). Evolution 62:3117–3134. , and .
- 1969. Notes on the taxonomy of Neositta (Results of the Harold Hall Australian Expedition, No.18). Emu 69:169–174.
- 1968. Family Estrildidae. Pp. 306–390 in J. R. A. Paynter, ed. Check-list of birds of the world, vol. 14. Museum of Comparative Zoology, Cambridge , MA . , , and .
- 1996. The one-migrant-per-generation rule in conservation and management. Conserv. Biol. 10:1509–1518. , and .
- 1996. High level of genetic differentiation for allelic richness among populations of the argan tree [Argania spinosa (L.) Skeels] endemic to Morocco. Theor. Appl. Genet. 92:832–839. , and .
- 2009. Gene flow and species delimitation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:386–393. , and .
- 1998. Identifying populations for conservation on the basis of genetic markers. Conserv. Biol. 12:844–855. , , and .
- 2002. Phylogeographic history of the land snail Candidula unifasciata (Helicellinae, Stylommatophora): fragmentation, corridor migration, and secondary contact. Evolution 56:1776–1788. , and .
- 2004. GeneClass2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. J. Hered. 95:536–539. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2007. Documentation for structure software: version 2.2. Available at: http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/software , , and .
- 2011. Panmixia on a continental scale in a widely distributed colonial waterbird. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 102:583–592. , , , , , and .
- 2008. genepop’007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for Windows and Linux. Mol. Ecol. Res. 8:103–106.
- 2000. Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. Pp. 365–386 in S. Krawetz and S. Misener, eds.Bioinformatics methods and protocols: methods in molecular biology. Humana Press, Totowa , NJ . , and .
- 1999. The directory of Australian birds. CSIRO Publishing, Canberra . , and .
- 2001. Characterization of microsatellite loci in village indigobirds Vidua chalybeata and cross-species amplification in estrildid and ploceid finches. Mol. Ecol. Notes 1:252–254. , , and .
- 1995. A measure of population subdivision based on microsatellite allele frequencies. Genetics 139:457–462.
- 1991. Pairwise comparisons of mitochondrial DNA sequences in stable and exponentially growing populations. Genetics 129:555–562. , and .
- 2011. Could specialization to cold-water upwelling systems influence gene flow and population differentiation in marine organisms? A case study using the blue-footed booby, Sula nebouxii. J. Biogeogr. 38:883–893. , , , and .
- 1997. The CLUSTAL_X windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:4876–4882. , , , , and .
- 2004. Mitochondrial DNA and microsatellite variation in the eider duck (Somateria mollissima) indicate stepwise postglacial colonization of Europe and limited current long-distance dispersal. Mol. Ecol. 13:1481–1494. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Multilocus analysis of honeyeaters (Aves: Meliphagidae) highlights spatio-temporal heterogeneity in the influence of biogeographic barriers in the Australian monsoonal zone. Mol. Ecol. 19:2980–2994. , , and .
- 2007. Complex hybridization dynamics between golden-winged and blue-winged warblers (Vermivora chrysoptera and Vermivora pinus) revealed by AFLP, microsatellite, intron and mtDNA markers. Mol. Ecol. 16:2017–2029. , , , and .
- 2011. Breeding ecology of an Australian estrildid, the Long-tailed Finch (Poephila acuticauda). Emu 111:297–303. , and .
- 2005. Isolation and characterization of 12 tetranucleotide repeat microsatellite loci from the green-backed tit (Parus monticolus). Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:439–442. , , , and .
- 2006. INVITED REVIEW: what is a population? An empirical evaluation of some genetic methods for identifying the number of gene pools and their degree of connectivity. Mol. Ecol. 15:1419–1439. , and .
- 2003. Bayesian inference of recent migration rates using multilocus genotypes. Genetics 163:1177–1191. , and .
- 1969. Evolution and genetics of populations. Vol 2. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago , IL .
- 2005. Vocal dialects, sex-biased dispersal, and microsatellite population structure in the parrot Amazona auropalliata. Mol. Ecol. 14:1197–1205. , , and .
- 2008. The Bassian Isthmus and the major ocean currents of southeast Australia influence the phylogeography and population structure of a southern Australian intertidal barnacle Catomerus polymerus (Darwin). Mol. Ecol. 17:1948–1961. , , and .
- 1976. Variation in the songs of three species of Estrildine grassfinches. Emu 76:97–108.
- 2011. Discordant patterns of geographic variation between mitochondrial and microsatellite markers in the Mexican black iguana (Ctenosaura pectinata) in a contact zone. J. Biogeogr. 38:1394–1405. , , and .
- 2010. Drawbacks with the use of microsatellites in phylogeography: the song sparrow Melospiza melodia as a case study. J. Avian Biol. 41:1–7.
- 2008. Mitochondrial DNA under siege in avian phylogeography. Mol. Ecol. 17:2107–2121. , and .
- 2010. Comparison of molecular markers in the endangered black-capped Vireo (Vireo atricapilla) and their interpretation in conservation. Auk 127:797–806. , , , , and .
- 2011. Endangered species management and the role of conservation genetics: a response to Barr et al. Auk 128:794–797. , , , , and .