Evidence of stable genetic structure across a remote island archipelago through self-recruitment in a widely dispersed coral reef fish
Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 3195–3213, December 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(12): 3195–3213
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2012
- Received: 26 January 2012; Revised: 13 March 2012; Accepted: 15 March 2012
- Natural History Museum
- 2007. Local replenishment of coral reef fish populations in a marine reserve. Science316:742–744. , , , , and .
- 2001. A new method for non-parametric multivariate analysis of variance. Austral Ecol.26:32–46.
- 2002. Larval reef fish could use odour for detection, retention and orientation to reefs. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser.241:151–160. , , and .
- 2002. The estimation of population differentiation with microsatellite markers. Mol. Ecol.11:155–165. , and .
- 2006. Guam Comprehensive Wildlife Conservation Strategy (GCWCS). Government of Guam, Department of Agriculture, Division of Aquatic and Wildlife Resources, pp. 68–69. , and .
- 2004. High genetic diversities and complex genetic structure in an Indo-Pacific tropical reef fish (Chlorurus sordidus): evidence of an unstable evolutionary past?Mar. Biol.144:757–767. , , , and .
- 2006. The relationship between population genetic structure and pelagic larval duration in coral reef fishes on the Great Barrier Reef. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser.149(5):1247–1256. , , and .
- 1996. Recruitment and the local dynamics of open marine populations. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst.27:477–500. , , , et al.
- 2007. Microsatellite null alleles and estimation of population differentiation. Mol. Biol. Evol.24:621–631. , and .
- 1996. Otolith increment analysis in the rabbitfish Siganus spinus: validation of the daily increment deposition and patterns of larval and otolith growth. MSc diss., University of Guam , pp. 1–26.
- 2010. Parentage in natural populations: novel methods to detect parent-offspring pairs in large data sets. Mol. Ecol. Res.10:115–128.
- 2010. Self-recruitment and sweepstakes reproduction amid extensive gene flow in a coral-reef fish. Mol. Ecol.19:1042–1057. , , , and .
- 2006. primer v6. User manual/tutorial. Plymouth routine in mulitvariate ecological research. Plymouth Marine Laboratory . 192pp , and .
- 2009. Larval dispersal and marine population connectivity. Annu. Rev. Mar. Sci.1:443–466. , and .
- 2000. Connectivity of marine populations: open or closed?Science287:857–859. , , , , and .
- 2007. High genetic connectivity across the Indian and Pacific Oceans in the reef fish Myripristis berndti (Holocentridae). Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser.334:245–254. , , , and .
- 2011. structure harvester: a website and program for visualizing structure output and implementing the Evanno method. Conserv. Genet. Res.4(2):359–361. DOI:10.1007/s12686-011-9548-7. , and .
- 1997. Microsatellite evolution—a reciprocal study of repeat lengths at homologous loci in cattle and sheep. Mol. Biol. Evol.14:854–860. , , , et al.
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol.14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online1:47–50. , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics131:479–491. , , and .
- 2007. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: dominant markers and null alleles. Mol. Ecol. Notes7:574–578. , , and .
- 2005. Swimming speeds of larval coral reef fishes: impacts on self-recruitment and dispersal. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser.285:223–232.
- 2007. Connecting places: the ecological consequences of dispersal in the sea. Oceanography20:90–99. , , , , and .
- 2010. Genetic evaluation of marine biogeographical barriers: perspectives from two widespread Indo-Pacific snappers (Lutjanus kasmira and Lutjanus fulvus). J. Biogeogr.37:133–147. , , , , and .
- 2009. The influence of oceanographic fronts and early-life-history traits on connectivity among littoral fish species. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.106:1473–1478. , , , et al.
- 2006. Seascape genetics: a coupled oceanographic-genetic model predicts population structure of Caribbean corals. Curr. Biol.16:1622–1626. , , and .
- 2007. Smelling home can prevent dispersal of reef fish larvae. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.104:858–863. , , , , and .
- 2003. The geography of marine larval dispersal: coupling genetics with fine-scale physical oceanography. Ecology84:2989–2998. , and .
- 2001. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3). Available from http://www2.unil.ch/popgen/softwares/fstat.htm. Updated from Goudet (1995)
- 2007. Population biology and assessment of the white-spotted spinefoot, Siganus canaliculatus (Park, 1797), in the southern Arabian Gulf. J. Appl. Ichthyol.23:53–59. , , , and .
- 2005. A spatial statistical model for landscape genetics. Genetics170:1261–1280. , , , and .
- 2008. Analysing georeferenced population genetics data with Geneland: a new algorithm to deal with null alleles and a friendly graphical user interface. Bioinformatics24:1406–1407. , , and .
- 2007. Genetic approaches to measuring connectivity. Oceanography20:70–79. , , and .
- 2010. Determining parentage and relatedness from genetic markers sheds light on patterns of marine larval dispersal. Mol. Ecol.19:845–847.
- 2007. Footprints on water: the genetic wake of dispersal among reefs. Coral Reefs26:463–473.
- 2009. Genetic structure of juvenile cohorts of bicolor damselfish (Stegastes partitus) along the Mesoamerican barrier reef: chaos through time. Coral Reefs28:277–288. , , , and .
- 2002. Population regulation: historical context and contemporary challenges of open vs. closed systems. Ecology83:1490–1508. , , and .
- 2008. High population connectivity across the Indo-Pacific: congruent lack of phylogeographic structure in three reef fish congeners. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol.49:629–638. , , , and .
- 2010. Constraints on the diversity and distribution of coral-reef assemblages in the volcanic Northern Mariana Islands. Coral Reefs29(1):59–70. , and .
- 2009. Inferring weak population structure with the assistance of sample group information. Mol. Ecol. Res.9:1322–1332. , , , and .
- 2009. Molecular ecological study of Siganus spinus and S. guttatus from Okinawan waters based on mitochondrial DNA control region sequences. J. Oceanogr.65:103–112. , , , and .
- 2010. The population genetic structure of a common tropical damselfish on the Great Barrier Reef and eastern Papua New Guinea. Coral Reefs29:455–467. , , , and .
- 2009. Larval retention and connectivity among populations of corals and reef fishes: history, advances and challenges. Coral Reefs28:307–325. , , , et al.
- 1999. Self-recruitment in a coral reef fish population. Nature402:802–804. , , , and .
- 2005. Coral reef fish larvae settle close to home. Curr. Biol.15:1314–1318. , , and .
- 2002. How many alleles per locus should be used to estimate genetic distances?Heredity88:62–65.
- 1976. Notes on the annual juvenile siganid harvest in Guam. Micronesia12:323–325. , and .
- 2004. Metapopulation ecology in the sea: from Levins’ model to marine ecology and fisheries science. Fish Fish.5:131–140. , and .
- 2005. Experimental assessment of sensory modalities of coral-reef fish larvae in the recognition of their settlement habitat. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol.58:18–26. , , and .
- 2002. Sound detection in situ by the larvae of a coral-reef damselfish (Pomacentridae). Mar. Ecol.232:259–268. , , and .
- 1991. The pelagic phase of coal reef fishes: larval biology of coral reef fishes. In: Sale P. F., Eds. The ecology of fishes on coral reefs. San Diego , CA, USA : Academic Press, 183–230.
- 2007. Cytochrome b barcoding, molecular systematics and geographic differentiation in rabbitfishes (Siganidae). C. R. Biol.330:86–94. , , , , and .
- 1998. Genetic heterogeneity, detected by PCR-SSCP, among samples of larval Pacific oysters (Crassostrea gigas) supports the hypothesis of large variance in reproductive success. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci.55(4):1025–1033. , and .
- 2008. The influence of contrasting life history traits and oceanic processes on genetic structuring of rabbitfish populations Siganus argenteus and Siganus fuscescens along the eastern Philippine coasts. Mar. Biol.154:519–532. , and .
- 1995. Role of marine reserves in recruitment to reef fisheries: A metapopulation model. Biol. Conserv.71:197–204. , , and .
- 2005. Assignment methods: matching biological questions with appropriate techniques. Trends Ecol. Evol.20:136–142. , , and .
- 2001. Fitting multivariate models to community data: a comment on distance-based redundancy analysis. Ecology82:290–297. , and .
- 1996. The one-migrant-per-gerneration rule in conservation and management. Conserv. Biol.10: 1509–1518. , and .
- 2002. Are populations of coral reef fish open or closed?Trends Ecol. Evol.17:422–428. , and .
- 2001. Microsatellite evolution in vertebrates: inference from AC dinucleotide repeats. Evolution55:1717–1733. , and .
- 1997. A comparison of alternative strategies for estimating gene flow from genetic markers. Annual Rev. Ecol. Syst.28:105–128.
- 2007. Current and Future Sustainability of Island Coral Reef Fisheries. Curr. Biol.17(7):655–658. , , , , and .
- 1988. Age and growth parameters of Siganus sutor in Kenyan marine inshore water, derived from numbers of otolith microbands and fish lengths. J. Fish Biol.33:465–470. , and .
- 1998. Fishing Down Marine Food Webs. Science, 279(5352), 860–863. , , , , and
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes6:288–295. , and .
- 2004. Beyond F-ST: analysis of population genetic data for conservation. Conserv. Genet.5:585–602. , and .
- 2004. Genetic assignment methods for the direct, real-time estimation of migration rate: a simulation-based exploration of accuracy and power. Mol. Ecol.13(1):55–65. , , , and .
- 2004. GENECLASS2: A Software for Genetic Assignment and First-Generation Migrant Detection. J. Hered95(6):536–539. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Isolation by distance and vicariance drive genetic structure of a coral reef fish in the Pacific Ocean. Evolution56:378–399. , and .
- 2002. Temporal change in the genetic structure between and within cohorts of a marine fish, Diplodus sargus, induced by a large variance in individual reproductive success. Mol. Ecol.11:1515–1524. , and .
- 2009. Larval dispersal connects fish populations in a network of marine protected areas. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.106:5693–5697. , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics155:945–959. , , and .
- 2006. Weak genetic structure indicates strong dispersal limits: a tale of two coral reef fish. Proc. R. Soc. B273:1483–1490. , , , and .
- 1989. Estimating relatedness using genetic markers. Evolution43(2):258–275. , and .
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.94(17):9197–9201. , and .
- 2010. Isolation and characterization of thirteen microsatellite markers for the rabbitfish, Siganus fuscescens. Conserv. Genet. Res.2(Suppl. 1):225–227. , , and .
- 1995. genepop (version 3.4): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered.86:248–249. , and .
- 2003. Genetic structure of camouflage grouper, Epinephelus polyphekadion (Pisces: Serranidae), in the western central Pacific. Mar. Biol.142:771–776. , , , and .
- 2001. Larval spatial distributions and other early life-history characteristics predict genetic differentiation in eastern Pacific blennioid fishes. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B268:1931–1936. , and .
- 1985. Demographic theory for an open marine population with space-limited recruitment. Ecology66:54–67. , , and .
- 2009. Estimating connectivity in marine populations: an empirical evaluation of assignment tests and parentage analysis under different gene flow scenarios. Mol. Ecol.18:1765–1776. , , , and .
- 2008. Seascape genetics and the spatial ecology of marine populations. Fish Fish.9:363–377. , , and .
- 2006. Current shifts and kin aggregation explain genetic patchiness in fish recruits. Ecology87:3082–3094. , , , and .
- 2005. Homeward sound. Science308:221–221. , , , , and .
- 1993. Isolation by distance in equilibrium and non-equilibrium populations. Evolution47:264–279.
- 1997. Sustained swimming abilities of the late pelagic stages of coral reef fishes. Mar. Ecol.149:35–41. , and .
- 2002. Evidence of self-recruitment in demersal marine populations. Bull. Mar. Sci.70:251–271. , , , et al.
- 2008. Modeling population connectivity by ocean currents, a graph-theoretic approach for marine conservation. Landscape Ecol.23:19–36. , , , and .
- 1973. Food preference of juvenile Siganus rostratus and S. spinus in Guam. Copeia3:604–606. , and .
- 2007. Multiple scales of genetic connectivity in a brooding coral on isolated reefs following catastrophic bleaching. Mol. Ecol.16:771–784. , , , and .
- 2003. Microsatellite variation and population genetic structure of the red throat emperor on the Great Barrier Reef. J. Fish Biol.62:987–999. , , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2000. Endemism and the pelagic larval duration of reef fishes in the eastern Pacific Ocean. Mar. Ecol.205:241–248. , and .
- 2006. What is a population? An empirical evaluation of some genetic methods for identifying the number of gene pools and their degree of connectivity. Mol. Ecol.15(6):1419–1439. , and .
- 2002. Local retention of production in marine populations: evidence, mechanisms, and consequences. Bull. Mar. Sci.70:245–249. , and .
- 2009. Population genetics, larval dispersal, and connectivity in marine systems. Mar. Ecol.393:1–12. , and .
- 2010. Ocean currents help explain population genetic structure. Proc. R. Soc. B277:1685–1694. , , , et al.
- 1999. Indirect measures of gene flow and migration: FST≠ 1/(4Nm+ 1). Heredity82:117–125. , and .
- 2003. Eddies around Guam, an island in the Mariana Islands group. Cont. Shelf Res.23:991–1003. , , , , and .
- 1990. Revision of the fish family Siganidae with descriptions of two new species and comments on distribution and biology. Indo-Pacific Fishes19:1–136.
- 2007. Re-estimation of small-scale fishery catches for US flag-associated island areas in the western Pacific: the last 50 years. Fish. Bull.105:266–277. , , , and .