Complex agro-ecosystems for food security in a changing climate
Version of Record online: 19 JUN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 7, pages 1696–1704, July 2012
How to Cite
Khumairoh, U., Groot, J. C.J. and Lantinga, E. A. (2012), Complex agro-ecosystems for food security in a changing climate. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1696–1704. doi: 10.1002/ece3.271
- Issue online: 6 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 19 JUN 2012
- Received: 25 October 2011; Revised: 28 March 2012; Accepted: 31 March 2012
- 1999. The ecological role of biodiversity in agroecosystems. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 74:19–31.
- 2002. Agroecology: the science of natural resource management for poor farmers in marginal environments. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 93:1–24.
- 2008. Farming systems methodology for efficient resource management at the farm level: a review from an Indian perspective. J. Agric. Sci. 146:493–505. , , , and .
- 2000. The impact of waterfowl foraging on the decomposition of rice straw: mutual benefits for rice growers and waterfowl. J. Appl. Ecol. 37:728–741. , , and .
- 2000. Integrating fish and azolla into rice-duck farming in Asia. ICLARM Q. 23:4–10. , , and .
- 1995. Intensification of irrigated rice systems: learning from the past to meet future challenges. GeoJournal 35:299–305. , and .
- 2003. Meeting cereal demand while protecting natural resources and improving environmental quality. Annu. Rev. Environ. Res. 28:315–358. , , , and .
- Central Agency on Statistics of Malang. 2011. Malang Regency in figures. Department of Agriculture and Plantations of Malang Regency, Malang , Indonesia .
- 2011. Climate change, plant diseases and food security: an overview. Plant Pathol. 60:2–14. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3059.2010.02411.x , and .
- 2008. Nitrogen losses from integrated rice-duck and rice-fish ecosystems in southern China. Plant Soil 307:207–217. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Is environmentally friendly agriculture less profitable for farmers? Evidence on integrated pest management in Bangladesh. Rev. Agr. Econ. 29:103–118. Direct Link:, , and .
- 1995. Ecology and integrated farming systems. Wiley, Chichester , U.K . , , and (eds.).
- 2010. The future of the global food system. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 365:2769–2777. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Implications of climate change for agricultural productivity in the early twenty-first century. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 365:2973–2989. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Agriculture: beyond food versus fuel. Nature 474:S6–S8.
- 2009. Integrating pests and pathogens into the climate change/food security debate. J. Exp. Bot. 60:2827–2838. , , , and .
- 2004. Ecological engineering for pest management, advances in habitat manipulation for arthropods. CAB International, Wallingford , U.K . , , and (eds.).
- 2011. Analyses of productivity and efficiency of irrigated rice cultivation in organic systems. Ph.D. thesis, Brawijaya University , Malang .
- 2010. Smart investments in sustainable food production: revisiting mixed crop-livestock systems. Science 327:822–825. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- International Assessment of Agricultural Science and Technology for Development. 2009. Global Report. Island , Washington , DC .
- 2003. The potential and sustainability of aquaculture in India. J. Appl. Aquacult. 13:283–316. , and
- 2011. Review of SRI modifications in rice crop and water management and research issues for making further improvements in agricultural and water productivity. Paddy Water Environ. 9:163–180. , , and .
- 2008. Agriculture at a crossroads. Science 320:320–321. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Rice, fish, and the planet. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108:19841–19842. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1117707109 , and .
- 2009. Nitrous oxide emissions from wetland rice-duck cultivation systems in Southern China. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 56:21–29. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Crop yield gaps: their importance, magnitudes, and causes. Annu. Rev. Environ. Res. 34:179–204. , , and .
- 2006. Review of rice-fish-farming systems in China—one of the Globally Important Ingenious Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS). Aquaculture 260:106–113. , and .
- 1997. Agricultural intensification and ecosystem properties. Science 277:504–509. , , , and .
- 2009. Adaptation science for agriculture and natural resource management—urgency and theoretical basis. Curr. Opin. Environ. Sustainability 1:69–76. , , , , , and .
- 2007. The impact of climate change on smallholder and subsistence agriculture. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:19680–19685.
- 2007. Assessing risks of climate variability and climate change for Indonesian rice agriculture. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:7752–7757. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0701825104 , , , , and .
- 2008. Reinventing rice to feed the world. Science 321:330–333.
- 2004. Social capital in biodiversity conservation and management. Conserv. Biol. 18:631–638. , and .
- 2010. Do artificial and natural defoliation have similar effects on physiology of Eucalyptus globulus Labill. seedlings? Ann. For. Sci. 67:203. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. The potential for compensation of the effects of the brown planthopper Nilaparvata lugens Stal (Homoptera: Delphacidae) feeding on rice. Crop Prot. 18:39–45. , , , and .
- 2008. Biotic interactions, ecological knowledge and agriculture. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 363:717–739.
- 2008. The role of co-operatives in poverty reduction: network perspectives. J. Socio-Econ. 37:2131–2140. , and .
- 2006. Livestock's long shadow—environmental issues and options. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome . , , , , , and .
- 2011. The scientific case for system of rice intensification and its relevance for sustainable crop intensification. Int. J. Agric. Sustainability 9:443–455.
- 2002. Agricultural sustainability and intensive production practices. Science 418:671–677. , , , , and .
- 1999. Agroecological implications of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Madagascar. Environ. Dev. Sustain. 1:297–313.
- 2010. Culturing practices can make roots more robust too. Nature 466:920.
- 1997. Concepts in production ecology for analysis and quantification of agricultural input-output combinations. Field Crop. Res. 52:197–208. , and .
- 1999. Belowground biodiversity and sustainability of complex agroecosystems. Proceedings of International Seminar “Towards Sustainable Agriculture in Humid Tropics Facing 21st Century” held in Bandar Lampung, 27–28 September, Indonesia . , and .
- 2011. Ecological mechanisms underlying the sustainability of the agricultural heritage rice-fish coculture system. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108:E1381–E1387. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1111043108 , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Effects of ducks on CH4 emission from paddy soils and its mechanism research in the rice-duck ecosystem. Acta Ecol. Sin. 28:2107–2114. , , , , , and .