Current affiliation: Eco-Logic Consulting, 3014 Craigowan Rd, Victoria, BC, V9B 1M8, Canada
A genetic polymorphism in the sex-linked ATP5A1 gene is associated with individual fitness in Ovenbirds (Seiurus aurocapilla)
Article first published online: 27 MAY 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 1312–1318, June 2012
How to Cite
Toms, J. D., Eggert, L. S., Arendt, W. J. and Faaborg, J. (2012), A genetic polymorphism in the sex-linked ATP5A1 gene is associated with individual fitness in Ovenbirds (Seiurus aurocapilla). Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1312–1318. doi: 10.1002/ece3.272
Field sampling was funded by cooperative grants to the University of Missouri from the U.S. Forest Service's International Institute of Tropical Forestry. Lab work was conducted using new investigator funds provided to L. S. E. by the University of Missouri.
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 27 MAY 2012
- Received: 5 December 2011; Revised: 30 March 2012; Accepted: 9 April 2012
- 1989. Sources of variation in measurements of birds in a Puerto Rican dry forest. J. Field Ornithol. 60:1–11. , and .
- 2006. Genetic mapping in a natural population of collared flycatchers (Ficedula albicollis): conserved synteny but gene order rearrangements on the avian Z chromosome. Genetics 174:377–386. , , , , , and .
- 2008. New and improved molecular sexing methods for museum bird specimens. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:519–528. , , and .
- 2006. Introduction: the past and present of migratory connectivity. Ornithol. Monogr. 61:1–13. , and .
- 2006. Integrated analysis of genetic, stable isotope, and banding data reveal migratory connectivity and flyways in the northern Yellow Warbler (Dendroica petechia; aestiva group). Ornithol. Monogr. 61:29–78. , , and .
- 2000. Male-biased mutation rates revealed from Z and W chromosome-linked ATP synthase α-subunit (ATP5A1) sequences in birds. J. Mol. Evol. 50:443–447. , , , and .
- 2009. Heteroduplex molecules cause sexing errors in a standard molecular protocol for avian sexing. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 9:61–65. , , , and .
- 2001. A critique of avian CHD-based molecular sexing protocols illustrated by a Z-chromosome polymorphism detected in auklets. Mol. Ecol. Notes 1:201–204. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Understanding survival and abundance of overwintering warblers: does rainfall matter? Condor 106:744–760. , , , and .
- 2005. Nucleic acid isolation from ecological samples—animal scat and other associated materials. Meth. Enzymol. 395:73–82. , , and .
- 2001. Multiple and independent cessation of recombination between avian sex chromosomes. Genetics 158:325–331. , and .
- 1997. Male-driven evolution of DNA sequences in birds. Nat. Genet. 17:182–184. , and .
- 2004. Bird population studies in Puerto Rico using mist nets: general patterns and comparisons with point counts. Stud. Avian Biol. 29:144–150. , , and .
- 2000. Rooting a phylogeny with homologous genes on opposite sex chromosomes (gametologs): a case study using avian CHD. Mol. Biol. Evol. 17:1826–1832. , and .
- 2001. Mass/length residuals: measures of body condition or generators of spurious results? Ecology 82:1473–1483.
- 1998. A DNA test to sex most birds. Mol. Ecol. 7:1071–1075. , , , and .
- 2006. Comparison of the chicken and zebra finch Z chromosomes shows evolutionary rearrangements. Chromosome Res. 14:805–815. , , and .
- 2006. Molecular sexing and sources of CHD1-Z/W sequence variation in Hawaiian birds. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:1003–1005. , and .
- 2009. The role of mitochondria in health and disease. Curr. Opin. Pharmacol. 9:780–786. , and .
- 2006. Assessing habitat quality for a migratory songbird wintering in natural and agricultural habitats. Conserv. Biol. 20:1433–1444. , , , and .
- 2002. Phylogeographical approaches to assessing demographic connectivity between breeding and overwintering regions in a nearctic-neotropical warbler (Wilsonia pusilla). Mol. Ecol. 11:1605–1616. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. RMark—an alternative approach to building linear models in MARK. In E. Cooch, and G. White, eds., Program MARK: a gentle introduction. Available at: http://www.phidot.org/software/mark/docs/book/ , and .
- 2003. Effects of scaley-leg mite infestations on body condition and site fidelity of migratory warblers in the Dominican Republic. Auk 120:730–743.
- 2002. Sex and death: CHD1Z associated with high mortality in moorhens. Evolution 56:2548–2553. , , , , and .
- 2002. Linking breeding and overwintering areas of five Nearctic-Neotropical migratory passerines using molecular genetic markers. Pp. 889–892 in C. J. Ralph and T. D. Rich, eds., Bird conservation implementation and integration in the Americas: proceedings of the third international partners in flight conference, vol. 2. Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Albany , CA . , , , , , and .
- 2008. The chicken (Gallus gallus) Z chromosome contains at least three nonlinear evolutionary strata. Genetics 180:1131–1136. , and .
- 2006. Perspectives on migratory connectivity. Ornithol. Monogr. 61:79–88. , , and .
- 2011. Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla). In A. Poole, ed., The birds of North America, vol. 88. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY . Available at: http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/088 , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna , Austria .
- 2009. Non-breeding season events influence sexual selection in a long-distance migratory bird. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 276:1619–1626. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Linking intronic polymorphism on the CHD1-Z gene with fitness correlates in Black-tailed Godwits Limosa l. limosa. Ibis 152:368–377. , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Spring passage and arrival patterns of American Redstarts in Michigan's eastern Upper Peninsula. Wilson J. Ornithol. 121:290–297. , , and .
- 2009. Tracking long-distance songbird migration by using geolocators. Science 323:896. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Retroposon insertions and the chronology of avian sex chromosome evolution. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2993–2997. , , , and .
- The International HapMap Consortium. 2003. The International HapMap Project. Nature 426:789–796.
- 2011. Non-breeding competition between migrant American Redstarts (Setophaga ruticilla) and resident Adelaide's Warblers (Dendroica adelaidae) in the Guánica Biosphere Reserve, southwest Puerto Rico. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Missouri, Columbia , MO .
- 2002. Links between worlds: unraveling migratory connectivity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:76–83. , , , , and .