The authors were funded by NSF DEB-0919018 to M. R. S.
The evolution of preference strength under sensory bias: a role for indirect selection?
Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 7, pages 1572–1583, July 2012
How to Cite
Frame, A. M. and Servedio, M. R. (2012), The evolution of preference strength under sensory bias: a role for indirect selection?. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1572–1583. doi: 10.1002/ece3.273
- Issue online: 6 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2012
- Received: 31 January 2012; Revised: 2 April 2012; Accepted: 9 April 2012
- 1988. The costs of mate choice in the pied flycatcher. Anim. Behav. 36:289–291. , , and .
- 2006. Sensory exploitation and sexual conflict. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 361:375–386.
- 1995. A test for preference of association in color polymorphic poeciliid fish: laboratory study. Environ. Biol. Fishes 43:207–212. , , and .
- 1990. Female preference predates the evolution of the sword in swordtail fish. Science 250:808–810.
- 2001. Divergent sexual selection enhances reproductive isolation in sticklebacks. Nature 411:944–948.
- 2002. How sensory drive can promote speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol.17:571–577.
- 2007. Microhabitat variation and sexual selection can maintain male color polymorphisms. Evolution 61:2504–2515. , , and .
- 1992. Morph-independent mate selection in a dimorphic jumping spider: demonstration of movement bias in female choice using video-controlled courtship behavior. Anim. Behav. 43:247–254. , and .
- 1996. Sensory bias and the adaptiveness of female choice. Am. Nat. 148:937–942. , and .
- 2011. A sensory bias has triggered the evolution of egg-spots in cichlid fishes. PLoS one 6:e25601. , , , and .
- 2004. Genetics, lighting environment, and heritable responses to lighting environment affect male color morph expression in bluefin killifish, Lucania goodei. Evolution 58:1086–1098. , and .
- 2005. Sensory bias as an explanation for the evolution of mate preferences. Am. Nat. 166:437–447. , , and .
- 1999. Mating system evolution in response to search costs in the speckled wood butterfly, Pararge aegeria. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 45:424–429. , , and .
- 2007. Linking color polymorphism maintenance and speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22:71–79. , and .
- 2008. Environment-contingent sexual selection in a colour polymorphic fish. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 275:1785–1791. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Mate choice by female crickets is influenced by predation risk. Anim. Behav. 46:193–196. , and .
- 1982. Sexual selection and the evolution of female choice. Evolution 36:1–12. .
- 1997. The strength of indirect selection on female mating preferences. Proc Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94:1282–1286. , and .
- 2004. Differences in visual signal design and detectability between allopatric populations of Anolis lizards. Am. Nat. 163:26–39. , and .
- 1953. Genetic equilibrium when more than one ecological niche is available. Am. Nat. 87:331–333.
- 2009. Space, sympatry, and speciation. J. Evol. Biol. 22:2332–2341. , , , and .
- 1942. Systematics and the origin of species. Columbia Univ. Press, New York .
- 2010. Divergence with gene flow: models and data. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 41:215–230. , and .
- 1991. Courtship in the water mite Neumaia papillator: males capitalize on female adaptation for predation. Anim. Behav. 42:589–598.
- 1990. Search theory and mate choice. I. Models of single-sex discrimination. Am. Nat. 136:376–404.
- 1990. Costs and benefits of female choice: is there a lek paradox? Am. Nat. 136:230–243. , and .
- 1993. Sexual selection and signal evolution: the ghosts of biases past. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 340:187–195. , and .
- 2004. Male-male competition and nuptial-color displacement as a diversifying force in Lake Victoria cichlid fishes. Proc. R. Soc. London B. 271:1345–1353. , and .
- 2008. Speciation through sensory drive in cichlid fish. Nature 455:620–626. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Reinforcement and the genetics of non-random mating. Evolution 54:21–29.
- 2011. Magic traits in speciation: “magic” but not rare? Trends Ecol. Evol. 26:389–397. , , , , and .
- 1996. The rock-paper-scissors game and the evolution of alternative male strategies. Nature 380:240–243. , and .
- 2001. The evolution of alternative reproductive strategies: fitness differential, heritability, and genetic correlation between the sexes. J. Hered. 92:198–205. , and .
- 2009. On the scent of speciation: the chemosensory system and its role in premating isolation. Heredity 102:77–97. , and .
- 2010. Song divergence by sensory drive in Amazonian birds. Evolution 64:2820–2839. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Modification of the visual background increases the conspicuousness of golden-collared manakin displays. Behav. Ecol. 15:1003–1010. , and .
- 1998. Sympatric speciation and extinction driven by environment dependent sexual selection. Proc. R. Soc. B. 265:1915–1919. , , and .