This study was financially supported by the Academy of Finland (grant numbers 115961, 119200, 140767 and 218107 to E. K. and 132190 to T. M.), the Centre of Excellence in Evolutionary Research of the Academy of Finland, and the Finnish Cultural Foundation.
Maintenance of genetic diversity in cyclic populations—a longitudinal analysis in Myodes glareolus
Article first published online: 11 JUN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 7, pages 1491–1502, July 2012
How to Cite
Rikalainen, K., Aspi, J., Galarza, J. A., Koskela, E. and Mappes, T. (2012), Maintenance of genetic diversity in cyclic populations—a longitudinal analysis in Myodes glareolus. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1491–1502. doi: 10.1002/ece3.277
- Issue published online: 6 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 11 JUN 2012
- Received: 12 February 2012; Revised: 5 April 2012; Accepted: 11 April 2012
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. B (Methodological) 57:289–300. , and .
- 2005. Genetic structure of the cyclic fossorial water vole (Arvicola terrestris): landscape and demographic influences. Mol. Ecol. 14:2861–2871. , , , , and .
- 2006. Migration and recovery of the genetic diversity during the increasing density phase in cyclic vole populations. Mol. Ecol. 15:2665–2676. , , , , and .
- 1993. Inbreeding avoidance increases dispersal movements of the meadow vole. Ecology 74:1153–1156. , , and .
- 1985. Movements and spatial patterns in populations of Clethrionomys species: a review. Ann. Zool. Fennici 22:385–392. , and .
- 1998. Population cycles in small mammals: the problem of explaining the low phase. Ecology 79:1479–1488. , , and .
- 2010. A new method for the partition of allelic diversity within and between subpopulations. Conserv. Genet. 11:2219–2229. , and .
- 1967. The natural selection of self-regulatory behaviour in animal populations. Proc. Ecol. Soc. Aust. 2:51–78.
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144:2001–2014. , and .
- 2008. Inferring population history with DIY ABC: a user-friendy approach to approximate Bayesian computation. Bioinformatics 24:2713–2719. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. High genetic variability despite high-amplitude population cycles in lemmings. J. Mammal. 86:380–385. , and .
- 2009. Multi-annual density fluctuations and habitat size enhance genetic variability in two northern voles. Oikos 118:1441–1452. , , and .
- 1924. Periodic fluctuations in the numbers of animals: their causes and effects. Br. J. Exp. Biol. 2:119–163.
- 2003. Spatial analysis of genetic diversity as a tool for plant conservation. Biol. Conserv. 113:351–365. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 1980. Genetic changes in fluctuating vole populations: selective vs. nonselective forces. Genetics 96:767–778. , and .
- 2001. Detection of reduction in population size using data from microsatellite loci. Mol. Ecol. 10:305–318. Direct Link:, and .
- 2009. Sex-biased dispersal patterns depend on the spatial scale in a social rodent. Proc. R. Soc. Ser. B 276:3487–3494. , , , , and .
- 2000. Dispersal in the bank vole. Polish J. Ecol. 48(Suppl.):51–61. , and .
- 1995. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3). Available at: http://www.unil.ch/izea/softwares/fstat.html. Accessed March 3, 2010.
- 2007. Advances in our understanding of mammalian sex-biased dispersal. Mol. Ecol. 16:1559–1578. , and .
- 1985 Clethrionomys food: generic, specific and regional characteristics. Anna. Zool. Fennici 22:315–318.
- 1988. Rodent dynamics as community process. Trends Ecol. Evol. 3:195–200. , and .
- 2002. SPAGeDi: a versatile computer program to analyse spatial genetic structure at the individual of population levels. Mol. Ecol. Notes 2:618–620. , and .
- 2005. Density-dependent dispersal and spatial population dynamics. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 272:913–918. , and .
- 1998. Social organization of the vole Clethrionomys rufocanus and its demographic and genetic consequences: a review. Res. Popul. Ecol. 40:39–50. , , and .
- 2007. Endemic hantavirus infection impairs the winter survival of its rodent host. Ecology 88:1911–1916. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Cyclic hantavirus epidemics in humans – Predicted by rodent host dynamics. Epidemics 1:101–107. , , , , and .
- 2001. Immigration and the ephemerality of a natural population bottleneck: evidence from molecular markers. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 268:1387–1394. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Cost of reproduction in the wild: manipulation of reproductive effort in the bank vole. Ecology 84:398–405. , , , and .
- 2005. Predator-induced synchrony in population oscillations of coexisting small mammal species. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 272:193–202. , , , and .
- 1996. Population cycles revisited. J. Mammal. 77:8–24.
- 1974. Population cycles in small mammals. Pp. 268–400 in A. Macfadyen, ed. Advances in ecological research, Vol. 8. Academic Press Inc., London , UK . , and .
- 1995. Impact of food and predation on the snowshoe hare cycle. Science 269:1112–1115. , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Recognition of kin in bank vole (Clethrionomys glareolus). Physiol. Behav. 90:483–489.
- 1998. The impact of population kin-structure on nestling survival in Townsend's voles, Microtus townsendii. J. Anim. Ecol. 67:1–16. , and
- 2006. Vole population cycles in northern and southern Europe: is there a need for different explanations for single pattern? J. Anim. Ecol. 75:340–349. , , and .
- 2012. Patterns and processes of dispersal behaviour in arvicoline rodents. Mol. Ecol. 21:505–523. , , , and .
- 1995. Spatial genetic structure of a tropical understory shrub, Psychotria officinalis (Rubiaceae). Am. J. Bot. 82:1420–1425. , , , and .
- 1998. Empirical evaluation of a test for identifying recently bottlenecked populations from allele frequency data. Conserv. Biol. 12:228–237. , and .
- 1997. The statistics of natural selection on animal populations. Chapman and Hall, London , UK .
- 2004. Genetic basis of the trade-off between offspring number and quality in the bank vole. Evolution 58:645–650. , and .
- 1995. Higher reproductive success among kin groups of bank voles (Clethrionomys glareolus). Ecology 76:1276–1282. , , and .
- 2008. Frequency and density-dependent selection on life-history strategies – a field experiment. PLos One 3:1–6. , , , , , and .
- 1985. Population bottlenecks and nonequilibrium models in population genetics. II. Number of alleles in a small population that was formed by a recent bottleneck. Genetics 111:675–689. , and .
- 2008. Are silica defences in grasses driving vole population cycles? Biol. Lett. 4:419–422. , , , and .
- 2002. A genealogical interpretation of linkage disequilibrium. Genetics 162:987–991.
- 1997. Tools for population genetic analyses (TFPGA) 1.3: a Windows program for the analysis of allozyme and molecular population genetic data. Available at: http://www.marksgeneticsoftware.net/. Accessed June 2, 2010.
- 1975. The bottleneck effect and genetic variability in populations. Evolution 29:1–10. , , and .
- 2006. Genalex 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2001. Inbreeding, kinship, and the evolution of natal dispersal. Pp. 123–142 in J. Clobert, E. Danchin, A. Dhondt, and J. D. Nichols, eds. Dispersal. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, U.S.A . , and .
- 1999. Bottleneck: a computer program for detecting recent reductions in the effective population size using allele frequency data. J. Hered. 90:502–503. , , and .
- 1989. Microgeographic variation in mitochondrial DNA of meadow voles (Microtuspennsylvanicus) in relation to population density. Evolution 43:1522–1537. , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1996. Inbreeding avoidance in animals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:201–206. , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact test and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86:248. , and .
- 2006. Genetic structure, habitat fragmentation and bottlenecks in Danish bank voles (Clethrionomys glareolus). Mammal. Biol. 3:144–158. , , , , , and .
- 2008. A large panel of novel microsatellite markers for the bank vole (Myodes glareolus). Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:1164–1168. , , , , and .
- 2011. Lack of confidence in approximate Bayesian computation model choice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 108:15112–15117. , , , .
- 1997. Evolutionary quantitative genetics. Chapman and Hall, London , 493 pp.
- 2002. Life history evolution. Sinauer Associates Inc., Sunderland, U.S.A. , 527 pp.
- 2006. Natural selection and population dynamics. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21:341–347. , and .
- 2012. Can number and size of offspring increase simultaneously? – a central life-history trade-off reconsidered. BMC Evol. Biol. 12:44. doi:10.1186/1471-2148-12-44. , , , , , and
- 2003. Mammal population cycles: evidence for intrinsic differences during snowshoe hare cycles. Can. J. Zool. 81:216–220. , , , and .
- 2006. Delayed density-dependent season length alone can lead to rodent population cycles. Am. Nat. 167:695–704. , , , , and .
- 2008. Disease effects on reproduction can cause population cycles in seasonal environments. J. Anim. Ecol. 77:378–389. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Experimental evaluation of the usefulness of microsatellite DNA for detecting demographic bottlenecks. Mol. Ecol. 9:1517–1528. , , and .
- 1985. Geographic distribution of Clethrionomys species. Anna. Zool. Fennici 22:215–219.
- 1999. Population cycles in voles and lemmings: density dependence and phase dependence in a stochastic world. Oikos 87:427–461.
- 2010. Historical and recent genetic bottlenecks in European grayling, Thymallus thymallus. Conserv. Genet. 11:279–292. , , and .
- 2004. Micro-Checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2005. Long-term stability of allozyme frequencies in a wood lemming, Myopus schisticolor, population with a biased sex ratio and density fluctuations. Heredity 94:443–447. , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .