This study was supported in part by a grant from Brigham Young University's Office of Research and Creative Activities and by the Brigham Young University Honors Program.
Ontogeny and sex alter the effect of predation on body shape in a livebearing fish: sexual dimorphism, parallelism, and costs of reproduction
Article first published online: 25 JUN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 7, pages 1738–1746, July 2012
How to Cite
Hassell, E. M. A., Meyers, P. J., Billman, E. J., Rasmussen, J. E. and Belk, M. C. (2012), Ontogeny and sex alter the effect of predation on body shape in a livebearing fish: sexual dimorphism, parallelism, and costs of reproduction. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1738–1746. doi: 10.1002/ece3.278
- Issue published online: 6 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 25 JUN 2012
- Received: 20 December 2011; Revised 4 April 2012; Accepted: 11 April 2012
- 2007. Analysis of character divergence along environmental gradients and other covariates. Evolution 61:510–515. , and .
- 1981. Escape tactics and vulnerability to predation associated with reproduction in the lizard (Lacerta vivipara). J. Anim. Ecol. 50:733–743. , and .
- 2010. Changing costs of reproduction: age-based differences in reproductive allocation and escape performance in a livebearing fish. Oikos 119:163–169. , and .
- 2005. Variation in intrinsic individual growth rate among populations of leatherside chub (Snyderichthys copei Jordan & Gilbert): adaptation to temperature or length of growing season? Ecol. Freshwat. Fish 14:177–184. , , , , and .
- 1997. Small male mating advantage and reversed size dimorphism in poeciliid fishes. J. Fish. Biol. 50:397–406. , and .
- 2007. ASReml-R reference manual. Queensland Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, Brisbane . , , , .
- 2004. Nonadditive effects of the environment on the survival of a large marine fish population. Ecology 85:3418–3427. , , , and .
- 2007. Analysis of two-state multivariate phenotypic change in ecological studies. Ecology 88:683–692. , and .
- 1995. Phenotypic similarity and the evolutionary significance of countergradient variation. Trends. Ecol. Evol. 10:248–252. , and .
- 2005. Processes that constrain and facilitate the evolution of sexual dimorphism. Am. Nat. 166(Suppl.): S1–S4.
- 2008. Predator-induced morphology enhances escape locomotion in crucian carp. Proc. R. Soc. B. Biol. Sci. 275:195–201. , , , and .
- 1982. Convergent and divergent effects of natural selection on color patterns in two fish faunas. Evolution 36:178–188.
- Fairbairn, D. J., W. U. Blanckenhorn, and T. Szekely, eds. 2007. Sex, size and gender roles: evolutionary studies of sexual size dimorphism. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K .
- 1999. Early development and allometric growth patterns in Siberian sturgeon and their ecological significance. J. Fish. Biol. 54:852–862.
- 2004. Constraints on adaptive evolution: the functional trade-off between reproduction and fast-start swimming performance in the Trinidadian guppy (Poecilia reticulata). Am. Nat. 164:38–50. , , and .
- 2008. Morphological divergence patterns among populations of Poecilia vivipara (Teleostei: Poeciliidae): test of an ecomorphological paradigm. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 93:799–812. , and .
- 2006. Parallel evolution of the sexes? Effects of predation and habitat features on the size and shape of wild guppies. J. Evol. Biol. 19:741–754. , , , and .
- 2001a. Hierarchical organization of genetic variation in the Costa Rican livebearing fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora (Poeciliidae). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 72:519–527.
- 2001b. Adaptive life-history evolution in the livebearing fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora: genetic basis for parallel divergence in age and size at maturity and a test of predator-induced plasticity. Evolution 55:1486–1491.
- 2002. Divergent life histories among populations of the fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora: detecting putative agents of selection by candidate model analysis. Oikos 96:82–91.
- 2001. Predation environment predicts life-history phenotypes among populations of the livebearing fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora. Oecologia 126:142–149. , and .
- 2009. Differential mortality drives life-history evolution and population dynamics in the fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora. Ecology 90:2243–2252. , and .
- 2009a. Morphology, performance, fitness: functional insight into a post-Pleistocene radiation of mosquitofish. Biol. Lett. 5:488–491.
- 2009b. Trade-off between steady and unsteady swimming underlies predator-driven divergence in Gambusia affinis. J. Evol. Bio. 22:1057–1075.
- 2010. Predicting evolution with generalized models of divergent selection: a case study with poeciliid fish. Integr. Comp. Biol. 50:1167–1184.
- 2004. Shared and unique features of evolutionary diversification. Am. Nat. 164:335–349. , and .
- 2009. Shared and unique features of morphological differentiation between predator regimes in Gambusia caymanensis. J. Evol. Biol. 22:2231–2242. , and .
- 2004. Predator-driven phenotypic diversification in Gambusia affinis. Evolution 58:2305–2318. , , , and .
- 1983. The latitudinal compensation hypothesis: growth data and a model of latitudinal growth-differentiation based upon energy budgets. I. Interspecific comparison of Ophryotrocha (Polychaeta, Dorvilleidae). Biol. Bull. 165:686–698.
- 1996. Shape changes during the growth of the sea bass, Dicentrarchus labrax (Teleostei: Perciformes), in relation to different rearing conditions, Pp. 399–405 in L. F. Marcus, M. Corti, A. Loy, G. J. P. Naylor, and D. E. Slice, eds. Advances in morphometrics. ASI Series. Vol. 284. Plenum Press, New York . , , and .
- 1991. Predation risk as a cost of reproduction. Trends Ecol. Evol. 6:183–186.
- 1989. Poeciliid life history patterns, Pp. 373–381 in G. K. Meffe and F. F. Snelson, Jr., eds. Ecology and evolution of livebearing fishes (Poeciliidae). Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs , NJ . , and .
- 2000. Reproductive burden, locomotor performance, and the cost of reproduction in free ranging lizards. Evolution 54:1386–1395. , , and .
- 1995. Sexual dimorphism and allometry of external morphology in Oreochromis mossambicus. J. Fish. Biol. 46:1055–1064. , and .
- 2000. Locomotor impairment of gravid lizards: is the burden physical or physiological? J. Evol. Biol. 13: 263–268. , , and .
- 1990. Form changes in fish larvae in relation to changing demands of function. Neth. J. Zool. 40:362–385.
- 1997. Priorities during early growth of fish larvae. Aquaculture 155:249–258. , , , and .
- 2002. Does pregnancy affect swimming performance of female mosquitofish, Gambusia affinis? Func. Ecol. 16:290–295.
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria .
- 2008. Shape changes in the external morphology during early development of the Ohrid trout (Salmo letnica Karaman, 1924). BALWOIS Conference on Balkan Water Observation and Information System for Decision Support, 27–31 May. Republic of Macedonia, Ohrid . , , , and .
- 1998. Ontogenetic allometry of body shape in the neotropical catfish Callichthys ( Teleostei : Siluriformes). Copeia 1998:177–182. , , and .
- 2002. Methods of multivariate analysis. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York .
- 1982. The impact of predation on life history evolution in Trinidadian guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Evolution 36:160–177. , and .
- 1993. Life history of Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora (Pices: Poeciliidae). Copeia 1993:103–111. , and .
- 1996. Life-history evolution in guppies (Poecilia reticulata: Poeciliidae). IV. Parallelism in life-history phenotypes. Am. Nat. 147:319–338. , , and .
- 2003a. tpsRegr, shape regression, version 1.28. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook.
- 2003b. tpsRelw, relative warps analysis, version 1.36. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook.
- 2004. tpsUtil, file utility program, version 1.26. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook.
- 2005. TpsDig, digitize landmarks and outlines, version 2.05. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook.
- 1990. Extensions of the Procrustes method for the optimal superimposition of landmarks. Syst. Zool. 39:40–59. , and .
- SAS Institute, Inc. 2008. SAS 9.2 help and documentation. Cary , NC .
- 2005. Ontogenetic variability in external morphology of native (Canadian) and non-native (Slovak) populations of pumpkinseed Lepomis gibbosus (Linnaeus 1758). J. Appl. Ichthyol. 21:335–344. , , and .
- 1941. Morphogenesis of the gonopodium in Gambusia affinis affinis. J. Morphol. 69:161–185.
- 2005. Do faster starts increase the probability of evading predators? Func. Ecol. 19:808–815. , , , , and .
- 2004. Pregnancy decreases swimming performance of female northern death adders (Acanthophis praelongus). Copeia 2004:357–363.
- 1982. Locomotor patterns in the evolution of actinopterygian fishes. Amer. Zool. 22:329–342.
- 1986. Effect of body form and response threshold on the vulnerability of four species of teleost prey attacked by largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides). Can. J. Fish Aquat. Sci. 43:763–771.
- 1996. The hidden cost of reproduction: reduced food intake caused by spatial constraints in the body cavity. Oikos 75:345–349.
- 2011. Morphological convergence during pregnancy among predator and nonpredator populations of the livebearing fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora (Teleostei: Poeciliidae). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 104:386–392. , , , and .