Funded by the Croucher Foundation (Hong Kong), Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Biomolecular Analysis Facility and the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research.
Evolution of MHC class I genes in the European badger (Meles meles)
Article first published online: 18 JUN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 7, pages 1644–1662, July 2012
How to Cite
Sin, Y. W., Dugdale, H. L., Newman, C., Macdonald, D. W. and Burke, T. (2012), Evolution of MHC class I genes in the European badger (Meles meles). Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1644–1662. doi: 10.1002/ece3.285
- Issue published online: 6 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUN 2012
- Received: 25 April 2012; Accepted: 27 April 2012
- 2006. Paucity of class I MHC gene heterogeneity between individuals in the endangered Hawaiian monk seal population. Immunogenetics 58:203–215. , , , , and .
- 2010. Bovine tuberculosis: the genetic basis of host susceptibility. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 277:2737–2745. , , , , , , and .
- 1990. Basic local alignment search tool. J. Mol. Biol. 215:403–410. , , , , and .
- 2001. Accuracy and power of the likelihood ratio test in detecting adaptive molecular evolution. Mol. Biol. Evol. 18:1585–1592. , , and .
- 2002. Accuracy and power of Bayes prediction of amino acid sites under positive selection. Mol. Biol. Evol. 19:950–958. , , and .
- 2006. Antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii in Eurasian badgers. J. Wildl. Dis. 42:179–181. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Coccidiosis in the European badger (Meles meles) from England, an epidemiological study. Parasitology 120:255–260. , , , , and .
- 1999. Complete sequence and gene map of a human major histocompatibility complex. Nature 401:921–923. , , , and .
- 1995. Evolution of Mhc class II polymorphism: the rise and fall of class II gene function in primates. Immunol. Rev. 143:13–31. , and .
- 2003. MHC studies in nonmodel vertebrates: what have we learned about natural selection in 15 years? J. Evol. Biol. 16:363–377. , and .
- 1999. Building large trees by combining phylogenetic information: a complete phylogeny of the extant Carnivora (Mammalia). Biol. Rev. 74:143–175. , , and .
- 1990. Structure, function, and diversity of class I major histocompatibility complex molecules. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 59:253–288. , and .
- 1987. The foreign antigen binding site and T cell recognition regions of class I histocompatibility antigens. Nature 329:512–518. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Evolution by recombination and transspecies polymorphism in the MHC class I gene of Xenopus laevis. Mol. Biol. Evol. 23:137–143. , and .
- 2002. Gas-chromatographic analyses of the subcaudal gland secretion of the European badger (Meles meles) Part I: chemical differences related to individual parameters. J. Chem. Ecol. 28:41–56. , , and .
- 2009. Seasonal and inter-individual variation in testosterone levels in badgers Meles meles: evidence for the existence of two endocrinological phenotypes. J. Comp. Physiol. A 195:865–871. , , and .
- 1997. Molecular analysis of six dog leukocyte antigen class I sequences including three complete genes, two truncated genes and one full length processed gene. Tissue Antigens 49:484–495. , , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary patterns of MHC class II B in owls and their implications for the understanding of avian MHC evolution. Mol. Biol. Evol. 25:1180–1191. , , , , and .
- 1996. MHC class I-processed pseudogenes in New World primates provide evidence for rapid turnover of MHC class I genes. J. Immunol. 157:2403–2409. , , and .
- 2004. Genetic makeup of the DR region in rhesus macaques: gene content, transcripts, and pseudogenes. J. Immunol. 172:6152–6157. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Wildlife disease reservoirs: the epidemiology of Mycobacterium bovis infection in the European badger (Meles meles) and other British mammals. Tuberculosis 81:43–49. , , and .
- 2007. Polygynandry, extra-group paternity and multiple-paternity litters in European badger (Meles meles) social groups. Mol. Ecol. 16:5294–5306. , , , and .
- 2011. Polygynandrous and repeated mounting behaviour in European badgers, Meles meles. Anim. Behav. 82:1287–1297. , , and .
- 2003. Requirement for Q226, but not multiple charged residues, in the class I MHC CD loop/D strand for TCR-activated CD8 accessory function. Eur. J. Immunol. 33:676–684. , , , and .
- 1998. Transcription and weak expression of HLA-DRB6: a gene with anomalies in exon 1 and other regions. Immunogenetics 48:16–21. , , , , , , , and .
- 1988. MHC polymorphism pre-dating speciation. Nature 335:265–267. , , and .
- 2000. Homology: a personal view on some of the problems. Trends Genet. 16:227–231. .
- 2005. Molecular phylogeny of the Carnivora (Mammalia): assessing the impact of increased sampling on resolving enigmatic relationships. Syst. Biol. 54:317–337. , , , , and .
- 2006. Molecular phylogeny of the Arctoidea (Carnivora): effect of missing data on supertree and supermatrix analyses of multiple gene datasets. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 41:165–181. , and .
- 2008. Species-specific evolution of class I MHC genes in iguanas (Order:Squamata; Subfamily:Iguaninae). Immunogenetics 60:371–382. , and .
- 2002. The evolution of the major histocompatibility complex in birds. Bioscience 52:423–431. , and .
- 1985. Exon shuffling in vivo can generate novel HLA class I molecules. EMBO J. 4:2849–2854. , and .
- 1996. Evolution of MHC class I loci in marsupials: characterization of sequences from koala (Phascolarctos cinereus). Mol. Biol. Evol. 13:1119–1127. , , and .
- 1995. Origin and evolution of HLA class I pseudogenes. Mol. Biol. Evol. 12:247–258. .
- 1989. Evolution of the major histocompatibility complex: independent origin of nonclassical class I genes in different groups of mammals. Mol. Biol. Evol. 6:559–579. , and .
- 1992. Maintenance of MHC polymorphism. Nature 355:402–403. , and .
- 1998. Natural selection at major histocompatibility complex loci of vertebrates. Annu. Rev. Genet. 32:415–434. , and .
- 2006. Application of phylogenetic networks in evolutionary studies. Mol. Biol. Evol. 23:254–267. , and .
- 1998. Patterns of reticulate evolution for the classical class I and II HLA loci. Immunogenetics 48:312–323. , , and .
- 2000. Do infectious diseases drive MHC diversity? Microbes Infect. 2:1335–1341. , and .
- 2006. The orthology of HLA-E and H2-Qa1 is hidden by their concerted evolution with other MHC class I molecules. Biol. Direct 1:2. , and .
- 1969. Evolution of protein molecules. Pp. 21–132 in H. N. Munro, ed. Mammalian protein metabolism. Academic Press, New York . , and .
- 1994. Evolutionary conservation of MHC class I and class II molecules—different yet the same. Semin. Immunol. 6:411–424. , , and .
- 2005. Comparative genomics of major histocompatibility complexes. Immunogenetics 56:683–695. , , and .
- 1999. Nomenclature for factors of the dog major histocompatibility system (DLA), 1998. First report of the ISAG DLA Nomenclature Committee. Tissue Antigens 54:312–321. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Nomenclature for factors of the dog major histocompatibility system (DLA), 2000: second report of the ISAG DLA Nomenclature Committee. Tissus Antigens 58:55–70. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1987. Origin of major histocompatibility complex polymorphism:the trans-species hypothesis. Hum. Immunol. 19:155–162.
- 1998. Molecular trans-species polymorphism. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 29:1–21. , , , and .
- 2007. MHC, TSP, and the origin of species: from immunogenetics to evolutionary genetics. Annu. Rev. Genet. 41:281–304. , , and
- 1985. Cloning and complete sequence of an HLA-A2 gene: analysis of two HLA-A alleles at the nucleotide level. J. Immunol. 134:2727–2733. , and .
- 1995. Immune response to Mycobacterium bovis bacille Calmette Guerin infection in major histocompatibility complex class I- and II-deficient knock-out mice: contribution of CD4 and CD8 T cells to acquired resistance. Eur. J. Immunol. 25:377–384. , , and .
- 2011. Evidence for a role of the host-specific flea (Paraceras melis) in the transmission of Trypanosoma (Megatrypanum) pestanai to the European badger. PLoS ONE 6:e16977. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Roles of lineage sorting and phylogenetic relationship in the genetic diversity at the self-incompatibility locus of Solanaceae. Heredity 86:195–205.
- 2002. Population dynamics of badgers (Meles meles) in Oxfordshire, UK: numbers, density and cohort life histories, and a possible role of climate change in population growth. J. Zool. 256:121–138. , and .
- 1999. Inter-annual differences in the age-related prevalences of Babesia and Trypanosoma parasites of European badgers (Meles meles). J. Zool. 247:65–70. , , , , and .
- 2004. The distribution of Eurasian badger, Meles meles, setts in a high density area: field observations contradict the sett dispersion hypothesis. Oikos 106:295–307. , , , , and .
- 2009. An analysis of Eurasian badger (Meles meles) population dynamics: implications for regulatory mechanisms. J. Mammal. 90:1392–1403. , , , and .
- 2006. Inferring phylogeny despite incomplete lineage sorting. Syst. Biol. 55:21–30. , and .
- 2000. RDP: detection of recombination amongst aligned sequences. Bioinformatics 16:562–563. , and .
- 2005. A modified bootscan algorithm for automated identification of recombinant sequences and recombination breakpoints. AIDS Res. Hum. Retrovir. 21:98–102. , , , and .
- 2010. RDP3: a flexible and fast computer program for analyzing recombination. Bioinformatics 26:2462–2463. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Bovine tuberculosis (Mycobacterium bovis) in British farmland wildlife: the importance to agriculture. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 273:357–365. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Resolution of the HLA-DRB6 puzzle: a case of grafting a de novo generated exon on an existing gene. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90:10720–10724. , , and .
- 2004. The dominant MHC class I gene is adjacent to the polymorphic TAP2 gene in the duck, Anas platyrhynchos. Immunogenetics 56:192–203. , , , , and .
- 2008. A common sequence motif associated with recombination hot spots and genome instability in humans. Nat. Genet. 40:1124–1129. , , , , and .
- 2010. Drive against hotspot motifs in primates implicates the PRDM9 gene in meiotic recombination. Science 327:876–879 , , , , , , , and .
- 1986. Simple methods for estimating the numbers of synonymous and nonsynonymous nucleotide substitutions. Mol. Biol. Evol. 3:418–426. , and .
- 2005. Concerted and birth-and-death evolution of multigene families. Annu. Rev. Genet. 39:121–152. , and .
- 1997. Evolution by the birth-and-death process in multigene families of the vertebrate immune system. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94:7799–7806. , , and .
- 2001. Coccidiosis in the European badger, Meles meles in Wytham Woods: infection and consequences for growth and survival. Parasitology 123:133–142. , , and .
- 2011. Contrasting sociality in two widespread, generalist, mustelid genera, Meles and Martes. Mamm. Study 36:169–188. , , , , and .
- 2010. Mouthing off about developmental stress: individuality of palate marking in the European badger and its relationship with juvenile parasitoses. J. Zool. 283:52–62. , , , , and .
- 1991. Role of diversifying selection and gene conversion in evolution of major histocompatibility complex loci. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88:6716–6720.
- 2008. IDT SciTools: a suite for analysis and design of nucleic acid oligomers. Nucleic Acids Res. 36:W163–W169. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Possible emergence of new geminiviruses by frequent recombination. Virology 265:218–225. , , and .
- 2008. Molecular characterization of major histocompatibility complex class I genes from the giant panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca). Immunogenetics 60:185–193. , , and .
- 1996. Population biology of antigen presentation by MHC class I molecules. Science 272:67–74. , and .
- 1996. A point mutation in HLA-A*0201 results in failure to bind the TAP complex and to present virus-derived peptides to CTL. Immunity 4:505–514. , , , , , and .
- 1999. The evolution of mating preferences and major histocompatibility complex genes. Am. Nat. 153:145–164. , and .
- 2002. MHC heterozygosity confers a selective advantage against multiple-strain infections. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99:11260–11264. , , and .
- 2006. The evolutionary ecology of the major histocompatibility complex. Heredity 96:7–21. , and .
- 2003. Birth-and-death evolution in primate MHC class I genes: divergence time estimates. Mol. Biol. Evol. 20:601–609. , and .
- 1990. Concerted evolution of class I genes in the major histocompatibility complex of murine rodents. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87:2167–2171. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Evolution of balanced genetic polymorphism. Mol. Ecol. 9:1953–1963.
- 2003. Relative roles of mutation and recombination in generating allelic polymorphism at an MHC class II locus in Peromyscus maniculatus. Genet. Res. 82:89–99. , , , and .
- 2011. Culling-induced changes in badger (Meles meles) behaviour, social organisation and the epidemiology of bovine tuberculosis. PLoS ONE 6:e28904. doi: 28910.21371/journal.pone.0028904 , , , , and .
- 2005. MHC class Ib molecules bridge innate and acquired immunity. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 5:459–471. , and .
- 2003. MrBayes 3: Bayesian phylogenetic inference under mixed models. Bioinformatics 19:1572–1574. , and .
- 2005. MrBayes v. 3.1 Manual. Available at: http://mrbayes.sourceforge.net/manual.php , , and .
- 2004. Spatial structure and land-cover use in a low-density Mediterranean population of Eurasian badgers. Can. J. Zool. 82:1493–1502. , , and ,
- 2006. A survey of helminth infection in Eurasian badgers (Meles meles) in relation to their foraging behaviour in a Mediterranean environment in southwest Portugal. Eur. J. Wildl. Res. 52:202–206. , , and .
- 2003. DnaSP, DNA polymorphism analyses by the coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics 19:2469–2497. , , , and .
- 1999. A divergent non-classical class I gene conserved in salmonids. Immunogenetics 49:479–490. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Modes of salmonid MHC class I and II evolution differ from the primate paradigm. J. Immunol. 166:3297–3308. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2012. MHC class II genes in the European badger (Meles meles): characterization, patterns of variation, and transcription analysis. Immunogenetics 64:313–327. , , , , and .
- 1992. Analyzing the mosaic structure of genes. J. Mol. Evol. 34:126–129. .
- 1983. T cell subsets and the recognition of MHC class. Immunol. Rev. 74:129–142. .
- 2000. Origins and divergence times of mammalian class II MHC gene clusters. J. Hered. 91:198–204. , , and .
- 2007. MEGA4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1596–1599. , , , and .
- 2004. The evolution and maintenance of delayed implantation in the Mustelidae (Mammalia:Carnivora). Evolution 58:175–183. , , and .
- 1999. Major histocompatibility complex class I genes in primates: co-evolution with pathogens. Immunol. Rev. 167:327–337. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Molecular organization of the canine major histocompatibility complex. J. Hered. 94:23–26. .
- 1999. Organization of the canine major histocompatibility complex: current perspectives. J. Hered. 90:35–38. , , and .
- 2006. Female receptivity, embryonic diapause, and superfetation in the European badger (Meles meles): implications for the reproductive tactics of males and females. Q. Rev. Biol. 81:33–48. , , and .
- 2007. PAML 4: phylogenetic analysis by maximum likelihood. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1586–1591. .
- 2000. Codon-substitution models for heterogeneous selection pressure at amino acid sites. Genetics 155:431–449. , , and .
- 2005. Bayes empirical Bayes inference of amino acid sites under positive selection. Mol. Biol. Evol. 22:1107–1118. , , and .
- 2007. Comparative genomic structure of human, dog, and cat MHC: HLA, DLA, and FLA. J. Hered. 98:390–399. , , , , and .
- 1998. Characterization of a harbor seal class I major histocompatability complex cDNA clone. Immunogenetics 48:422–424. , , and .