Funded by Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and Department of Biology, Utah State University.
Interfamily variation in amphibian early life-history traits: raw material for natural selection?
Article first published online: 18 JUN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 7, pages 1637–1643, July 2012
How to Cite
Hopkins, G. R., Gall, B. G., French, S. S. and Brodie, E. D. (2012), Interfamily variation in amphibian early life-history traits: raw material for natural selection?. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1637–1643. doi: 10.1002/ece3.287
- Issue published online: 6 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUN 2012
- Received: 26 April 2012; Revised: 1 May 2012; Accepted: 4 May 2012.
- 2004. Variability in survival, growth and metamorphosis in the larval fire salamander (Salamandra salamandra): effects of larval birth size, sibship and environment. Herpetologica 60:232–245. , , and .
- 1989. Raising the axolotl in captivity. Pp. 220–227 in J. B. Armstrong and G. M. Malacinski, eds. Developmental biology of the axolotl. Oxford Univ. Press, New York . , , and .
- 1969. Temperature adaptations of amphibian embryos. Am. Nat. 103:115–130.
- 1982. The genetic basis of altitudinal variation in the wood frog Rana sylvatica. I. An experimental analysis of life history traits. Evolution 36:962–983.
- 2002. Effects of hatching time for larval Ambystomatid salamanders. Copeia 2002:511–517. , , and .
- 1990. Incubation time and rate of embryonic development in amphibians: the influence of ovum size, temperature, and reproductive mode. Physiol. Zool. 63: 1157–1180.
- 1975. The time-temperature relation of embryonic development in the northwestern salamander, Ambystoma gracile. Can. J. Zool. 54:552–558.
- 2004. Mothers influence offspring body size through post-oviposition maternal effects in the redbacked salamander, Plethodon cinereus. Oecologia 138: 306–311. and .
- 1984. Intraclutch egg size variability in Hyla crucifer (Anura: Hylidae). Copeia 1984:302–308.
- 1979. Clutch energy partioning of tropical tree frogs (Hylidae). Copeia 1979:626–635. and
- 2005. Egg hatching patterns within and among populations of a damselfly occupying permanent and temporary ponds. Arch. Hydrobiol. 163:195–209. , , and .
- 2011a. Tetrodotoxin levels in larval and metamorphosed newts (Taricha granulosa) and palatability to predatory dragonflies. Toxicon 57:978–983. , , , , , and
- 2011b. Survival and growth of the caddisfly Limnephilus flavastellus after predation on toxic eggs of the Rough-skinned newt (Taricha granulosa). Can. J. Zool. 89:483–489. , , and
- 1969. Harrison stages and description of the normal development of the spotted salamander, Amblystoma punctatum (Linn.). Pp. 44–66 in R. G. Harrison, ed. Organization and development of the embryo. Yale Univ. Press, New Haven , CT .
- 1980. The implications of ovum size variability for offspring fitness and clutch size within several populations of salamanders (Ambystoma). Evolution 34:51–64.
- 1985. Maternal influences on offspring development in the California newt, Taricha torosa. Copeia 1985:1028–1035.
- 1989. Ovum size plasticity and maternal effects on the early development of the frog, Bombina orientalis Boulenger, in a field population in Korea. Funct. Ecol. 3:597–604.
- 2006. Ecological and developmental context of natural selection: maternal effects and thermally induced plasticity in the frog Bombina orientalis. Evolution 60:142–156. , and .
- 2000. Intra- and inter-litter variation in life-history traits in a population of fire salamanders (Salamandra salamandra terrestris). J. Zool. 250:231–236. , and .
- 2005. Quantitative genetics of larval life-history traits in Rana temporaria in different environmental conditions. Genet. Res. 86:161–170. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity and genetics of larval life histories in two Rana temporaria populations. Evolution 56:617–627. , , and .
- 1994. Genetic variation for phenotypic plasticity in the larval life history of spadefoot toads (Scaphiopus couchii). Evolution 48:1773–1785.
- 2007. Maternal effects and evolution at ecological time-scales. Funct. Ecol. 21:408–421. , and .
- 1990. Effects of egg size on success of larval salamanders in complex aquatic environments. Ecology 71:1789–1795. , and .
- 1994. Parental contributions to variation in hatchling size and its relationship to growth and metamorphosis in tadpoles of Rana lessonae and Rana escuelenta. Copeia 1994:406–412. , and .
- 2002. Hatching dynamics and bet-hedging in a temperate frog, Pseudophryne australis (Anura: Myobatrachidae). Amphib-reptil. 23:433–444. , and .
- 2005. Is variable egg size the proximate cause of diversified bet-hedging in the hatching dynamics of the red-crowned toadlet (Pseudophryne australis) (Anura: Myobatrachidae)? Herpetologica 61:9–19. , and .
- 1983. Variation in development patterns of larval anurans in temporary ponds. I. Persistent variation within a Hyla gratiosa population. Evolution 37:496–512.
- 1987. A quantitative-genetic analysis of larval life-history traits in Hyla crucifer. Evolution 41:145–156. , , and .
- 1993. Effect of temperature on body size, developmental stage, and timing of hatching in Ambystoma maculatum. J. Herpetol. 27:329–333.
- 1995. Adaptive plasticity in hatching age: a response to predation risk trade-offs. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92:3507–3510.
- 1999. Effects of hatching age on development and hatchling morphology in the red-eyed treefrog, Agalychnis callidryas. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 68:443–470.
- 2011. Environmentally cued hatching across taxa: embryos respond to risk and opportunity. Integ. Comp. Biol. 51:14–25.
- 2011. Hatching strategies in monogenean (Platyhelminth) parasites that facilitate host infection. Integ. Comp. Biol. 51:91–99. , and .
- 1989. Life history variation in a population of the Australian frog Ranidella signifera: egg size and early development. Copeia 1989:349–356. , and .