Supported by ARC Discovery grants to R. B. and S. P. L.
Diet, sex, and death in field crickets
Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 7, pages 1627–1636, July 2012
How to Cite
Zajitschek, F., Lailvaux, S. P., Dessmann, J. and Brooks, R. (2012), Diet, sex, and death in field crickets. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1627–1636. doi: 10.1002/ece3.288
- Issue online: 6 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2012
- Received: 31 March 2012; Revised: 3 May 2012; Accepted: 4 May 2012
- 1984. Effect of mating status on Drosophila virilis lifespan. Exp. Gerontol. 19:267–278. , and .
- 2003. Heritability of three condition surrogates in the yellow dung fly. Behav. Ecol. 14:612–618. , and .
- 2012. bbmle: Tools for general maximum likelihood estimation. R package version 18.104.22.168.
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference. 2nd ed. Springer, New York . , and .
- 1995. Cost of mating in Drosophila melanogaster females is mediated by male accessory-gland products. Nature 373:241–244. , , , , and .
- 1996. Female fitness in Drosophila melanogaster: an interaction between the effect of nutrition and of encounter rate with males. Proc Biol. Sci. 263:755–759. , and .
- 1989. A cost of mating in female fruitflies. Nature 338:760–761. , and .
- 2010. Female nutritional status determines the magnitude and sign of responses to a male ejaculate signal in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 23:157–165. , , and .
- 2012. fields: Tools for spatial data. R package version 6.6.3. , , and .
- 1990. Biological signals as handicaps. J. Theor. Biol. 144:517–546.
- 2011. Condition-dependent traits as signals of the functionality of vital cellular processes. Ecol. Lett. 14:625–634.
- 2004a. High-quality male field crickets invest heavily in sexual display but die young. Nature 432:1024–1027. , , , , , and
- 2004b. What is genetic quality? Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:329–333. , , , and .
- 2009. Water- and nutrient-dependent effects of dietary restriction on Drosophila lifespan. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 106:18633–18637. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Sexual selection in a wolf spider: male drumming activity, body size and viability. Evolution 50:1977–1981. , , , and .
- 2003. Longevity cost of reproduction for males but no longevity cost of mating or courtship for females in the male-dimorphic dung beetle Onthophagus binodis. J. Insect. Physiol. 49:817–822. , and .
- 2008. Lifespan and reproduction in Drosophila: new insights from nutritional geometry. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105:2498–2503. , , , , , , , and .
- 1981. The effect of mating on female sexual behavior of Teleogryllus commodus walker. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 9:219–225.
- 1973. Effect of mating on egg production and release in cricket Teleogryllus commodus. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 16:483–490. , and .
- 1981. Prostaglandins—their role in egg-laying of the cricket Teleogryllus commodus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA Biol. Sci. 78:7835–7838. , , , , and .
- 2005. Calories do not explain extension of life span by dietary restriction in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 3:e223. , , and .
- 2008a. Sex-specific fitness effects of nutrient intake on reproduction and lifespan. Curr. Biol. 18:1062–1066. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008b. Sex-specific fitness effects of nutrient intake on reproduction and lifespan. Curr. Biol. 18:1062–1066. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Sex differences in nutrient-dependent reproductive ageing. Aging Cell 8:324–330. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Caloric restriction: a key to understanding and modulating aging. 1st ed. Elsevier, Amsterdam, Boston .
- Masoro, E. J., and S. N. Austad. eds. 2006. Handbook of the biology of aging. Academic Press, Burlington .
- 1952. An unsolved problem of biology. H.K. Lewis & Co. London .
- 2004. Age-specific mortality rates of reproducing and non-reproducing males of Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 271:2517–2522. , and .
- 1987. Regulation of long-term oviposition in the house cricket, Acheta domesticus—roles of prostaglandin and factors associated with sperm. Arch. Insect Biochem. Physiol. 6:59–72. , and .
- 2009. Multiple mating reduces male survivorship but not ejaculate size in the polygamous insect Stenomacra marginella (Heteroptera: Largidae). Evol. Ecol. 23:417–424. , and .
- 1981. Sexual activity reduces lifespan of male fruitflies. Nature 294:580–582. , and .
- 2005. Cost of reproduction in Callosobruchus maculatus: effects of mating on male longevity and the effect of male mating status on female longevity. J. Insect Physiol. 51:1220–1226. , and .
- 2009. nlme: Linear and nonlinear mixed effects models. R package version 3. 1–96. , , , and .
- 1987. Sexual selection—the handicap principle does work sometimes. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 231:123–145.
- 2009. Nutrition, ecology and nutritional ecology: toward an integrated framework. Funct. Ecol. 23:4–16. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: A Language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1996. The lek paradox and the capture of genetic variance by condition dependent traits. Proc. R Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 263:1415–1421. , and .
- 1988. Energy, calling, and selection. Am. Zool. 28:885–885.
- 1985. Compensation by locusts for changes in dietary nutrients—behavioral mechanisms. Physiol. Entomol. 10:443–452. , and .
- 2007. Caloric restriction and aging revisited: the need for a geometric analysis of the nutritional bases of aging. J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 62:707–713. , and .
- 2009. Macronutrient balance and lifespan. Aging 1:875–880. , and .
- 2008. Dietary composition specifies consumption, obesity, and lifespan in Drosophila melanogaster. Aging Cell 7:478–490. , , , and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Oxford University Press, New York .
- 2010. Longevity cost of remaining unmated under dietary restriction. Funct. Ecol. 24:1270–1280. , , and .
- 2011. The plate half-full: status of research on the mechanisms of dietary restriction in Drosophila melanogaster. Exp. Gerontol. 46:363–368.
- 1993. Long-term cost of reproduction with and without accelerated senescence in Callosobruchus maculatus—analysis of age-specific mortality. Evolution 47:1302–1312. , , and .
- 1983. Properties of the prostaglandin synthetase complex in the cricket Teleogryllus commodus. Insect Biochem. 13:137–141. , and .
- 2006. Age-dependent traits: a new statistical model to separate within- and between-individual effects. Am Nat 167:766–773. , and .
- 1998. Male reproductive strategy and decreased longevity. Acta. Biotheor. 46:157–160.
- 1998. Sexual conflict and the energetic costs of mating and mate choice in water striders. Am. Nat. 151:46–58. , , and .
- 2010. Variation in male courtship costs in butterflies. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 64:1385–1391.
- 1996. The role of nourishment in oogenesis. Ann. Rev. Entomol. 41:407–431.
- 1957. Pleiotropy, natural-selection, and the evolution of senescence. Evolution 11:398–411.
- 1997. Life expectancy, economic inequality, homicide, and reproductive timing in Chicago neighbourhoods. BMJ 314:1271–1274. and .
- 1975. Mate selection—selection for a handicap. J. Theor. Biol. 53:205–214.
- 2009a. Sexual dimorphism in life history: age, survival, and reproduction in male and female field crickets Teleogryllus commodus under seminatural conditions. Am. Nat. 173:792–802. , , , and .
- 2009b. Sex effects on life span and senescence in the wild when dates of birth and death are unknown. Ecology 90:1698–1707. , , , and .
- 2009c. Effects of juvenile and adult diet on ageing and reproductive effort of male and female black field crickets, Teleogryllus commodus. Funct. Ecol. 23:602–611. , , , , and .
- 1998. Exploitation of sexual signals by predators and parasitoids. Q. Rev. Biol. 73:415–438. , and .