This work was supported by KAKENHI (22657026; Grant-in-Aid for Challenging Exploratory Research; Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology [MEXT], Japan), the Fujiwara Natural History Foundation, and Global COE Program (Center of Excellence for Asian Conservation Ecology as a basis of human–nature mutualism; MEXT, Japan).
Waterfalls drive parallel evolution in a freshwater goby
Article first published online: 1 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 8, pages 1805–1817, August 2012
How to Cite
Kano, Y., Nishida, S. and Nakajima, J. (2012), Waterfalls drive parallel evolution in a freshwater goby. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1805–1817. doi: 10.1002/ece3.295
- Issue published online: 6 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 1 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 14 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 MAY 2012
- KAKENHI. Grant Number: 22657026
- Fujiwara Natural History Foundation
- Global COE Program
- 1974. A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercon. 19:716–723.
- 2000. Evolutionary aspects of gobioid fishes based upon a phylogenetic analysis of mitochondrial cytochrome B genes. Gene 259:5–15. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Gobiidae. Pp. 1139–1310, 1606–1628 in T. Nakabo, ed. Fishes of Japan with pictorial keys to the species, 2nd ed. Tokai University Press, Tokyo (In Japanese). , , , and .
- 2008. Adaptation from standing genetic variation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:38–44. , and .
- 1995. A pebble count procedure for assessing watershed cumulative effects. (USDA Research Paper RMRP-319). United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experimental Station, Fort Collins, CO. , and .
- 2010. Morphological selection and the evaluation of potential tradeoffs between escape from predators and the climbing of waterfalls in the Hawaiian stream goby Sicyopterus stimpsoni. Integr. Comp. Biol. 50:1185–1199. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Effects of geomorphological structures on genetic differentiation among brown trout populations in a Northern Boreal river drainage. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 130:36–45. , and .
- 1982. The family encyclopedia of natural history. The Hamlyn Publishing Group, London.
- 2001. Landscape structure and hierarchical genetic diversity in the brook charr, Salvelinus fontinalis. Evolution 55:1016–1028. , , and .
- 2001. TCS: a computer program to estimate gene genealogies. Mol. Ecol. 9:1657–1660. , , and .
- 2009. Marine dispersal determines the genetic population structure of migratory stream fauna of Puerto Rico: evidence for island-scale population recovery processes. J. N. Am. Benthol. Soc. 28:709–718. , , , and .
- 2003. The influence of history and contemporary stream hydrology on the evolution of genetic diversity within species: an examination of microsatellite DNA variation in bull trout, Salvelinus confluentus (Pisces: Salmonidae). Evolution 57:328–344. , , , , and .
- 2009. Predator-prey interactions in river networks: comparing shrimp spatial refugia in two drainage basins. Freshwater Biol. 54:450–465. , , , , and .
- 1999. Alien species in North America and Hawaii: impacts on natural ecosystems. Island Press, Washington.
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland. , and .
- 2006. The relative influence of natural selection and geography on gene flow in guppies. Mol. Ecol. 15:49–62. , , , , and .
- 1951. Genetics and the origin of species, 3rd ed. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 1980. Natural selection on color patterns in Poecilia reticulata. Evolution 34:76–91.
- 1995. Geographic variation in female preferences for male traits in Poecilia reticulata. Evolution 49:456–468. , and .
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:564–567. , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes – application to human mitochondrial-DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 1999. Regional distribution of erosion rates over the Japanese Islands. JNC Tech. Rep. 5:85–93. (in Japanese with English abstract). , , and .
- 2012. How waterfalls work. Available at http://geography.howstuffworks.com/terms-and-associations/waterfall.htm. Accessed June 7, 2012. .
- 2007. Reproductive isolation among deep-water cichlid fishes of Lake Malawi differing in monochromatic male breeding dress. Mol. Ecol. 16:651–662. , , , , , and .
- Geospatial Information Authority Japan. 2012. Basic map information. Available at http://www.gsi.go.jp/kiban. Accessed June 7, 2012. (in Japanese)
- 2008. Landscape-scale evaluation of genetic structure among barrier-isolated populations of coastal cutthroat trout, Oncorhynchus clarkii clarkii. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 65:1749–1762. , , and .
- 1970. The species problem within Gasterosteus aculeatus on the Pacific coast of North America. J. Fish. Res. Board Canada 27:147–155. , and .
- 2005. Soft sweeps: molecular population genetics of adaptation from standing genetic variation. Genetics 169:2335–2352. , and .
- 2000. Embryonic development and morphological changes in larvae and juveniles of two landlocked gobies, Rhinogobius spp. (Gobiidae), on Okinawa Island. Jpn. J. Ichthyol. 47:29–41. (in Japanese with English abstract). , and .
- 1996. R: a language for data analysis and graphics. J. Comput. Graph. Stat. 5:299–314. , and .
- 2005. Rhinogobius sp. YB. Pp. 598–599 in H. Kawanabe, N. Mizuno, and K. Hosoya, eds. Freshwater fishes of Japan, 3rd ed. Yama-kei Publishers, Tokyo. (In Japanese) .
- 2010. Present status and conservation of the markless forms of stream-resident masu salmon Oncorhynchus masou (the so-called ‘iwame’) in Japanese mountain streams. Ichthyol. Res. 57:78–84. , , and .
- 2011. Fluctuation and variation in stream-fish assemblages after a catastrophic flood in the Miyagawa River. Jpn. Environ. Biol. Fish. 92:447–460. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. brglm: Bias reduction in binary-response GLMs. Available at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucakiko/software.html. Accessed June 7, 2012. .
- 2010. Natural and sexual selection giveth and taketh away reproductive barriers: models of population divergence in guppies. Am. Nat. 176:26–39. , and .
- 2000. Cliff ecology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , and .
- 2010. Diel and seasonal occurrence patterns of drifting fish larvae in the Teima Stream, Okinawa Island. Pac. Sci. 64:161–176. , and .
- 2005. Evolutionary ecology: the Trinidadian guppy. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1998. Depauperate freshwater fish communities in Sabah: the role of barriers to movement and habitat quality. J. Fish Biol. 53:331–344. , and .
- 1963. Animal species and evolution. Harvard University Press, Cambridge.
- 2006. Stream-dwelling fish communities from an Atlantic rain forest drainage. Braz. Arch. Biol. Techn. 49:249–256. , , , and .
- 2004. Evidence for ecology's role in speciation. Nature 429:294–298. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Use of mitogenomic information in teleostean molecular phylogenetics: a tree-based exploration under the maximum-parsimony optimality criterion. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 17:437–455. , and .
- 2005. Rhinogobius sp. DA. Pp. 588 in H. Kawanabe, N. Mizuno, and K. Hosoya, eds. Freshwater fishes of Japan, 3rd ed. Yama-kei Publishers, Tokyo. (In Japanese) .
- 2000. Invasive species in a changing world. Island Press, Washington. , and .
- 2005. Mitochondrial DNA divergence in yoshinobori gobies (Rhinogobius species complex) between the Bonin Islands and the Japan–Ryukyu Archipelago. Ichthyol. Res. 52:410–413. , , , and .
- 1994. Life-history variation and speciation in the Rhinogobius species-complex. Pp. 154–169 in A. Goto, K. Tsukamoto, and K. Maekawa, eds. Freshwater fishes migrating between rivers and the sea. Tokai University Press, Tokyo. (In Japanese) .
- 1968. Two forms of the gobioid fish Rhinogobius brunneus from Okinawa Islands. Zool. Mag. 77:397–398. (in Japanese with English abstract).
- 2008. DNA markers indicate low genetic diversity and high genetic divergence in the landlocked freshwater goby, Rhinogobius sp YB, in the Ryukyu Archipelago. Jpn. Zool. Sci. 25:391–400. , , , , and .
- 2011. On the earliest published species of Rhinogobius. With a redescription of Gobius brunneus Temminck and Schlegel, 1845. J. Natl. Taiwan Mus. 64:1–17. , , and .
- 2001. Rapid genetic divergence in postglacial populations of threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus): the role of habitat type, drainage and geographical proximity. Mol. Ecol. 10:2435–2445. , , and .
- 2000. Natural selection and parallel speciation in sympatric sticklebacks. Science 287:306–308. , , , and .
- 2009. Genetics and ecological speciation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106:9955–9962. , and .
- 2010. Two lentic freshwater gobies, Rhinogobius sp. BF and Rhinogobius sp. TO: their morphological characteristics, distribution and present status. Jpn. J. Ichthyol. 57:176–179. (in Japanese with English abstract). , and .
- 2000. Conventional sex role in an amphidromous Rhinogobius goby in which females exhibit nuptial coloration. Ichthyol. Res. 47:303–306.
- 2001. Females of a stream goby choose mates that court in fast water currents. Behaviour 138:937–946. , and .
- 1993. Estimation of the number of nucleotide substitutions in the control region of mitochondrial-DNA in humans and chimpanzees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 10:512–526. , and .
- 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731–2739. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Historical contingency and ecological determinism interact to prime speciation in sticklebacks. Gasterosteus. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 267:2375–2384. , and .
- 1999. Population size and distribution of Pseudobagrus ichikawai, an endangered bagrid catfish, in the Kawaura River. Jpn. J. Ichthyol. 46:15–30. (in Japanese with English abstract). , and .
- 2010. GEDIMAP: a database of genetic diversity for Japanese freshwater fishes. Ichthyol. Res. 57:107–109. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Detection of convergent and parallel evolution at the amino acid sequence level. Mol. Biol. Evol. 14:527–536. , and .