This study was supported by an Australian Research Council Linkage Grant (LP0669757) and Industry Partners Alcoa of Australia and BHP Billiton Worsley Alumina Pty Ltd.
Inbreeding and outbreeding depression in Stylidium hispidum: implications for mixing seed sources for ecological restoration
Article first published online: 7 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which permits use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 9, pages 2262–2273, September 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(9): 2262–2273
- Issue published online: 11 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 7 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 21 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 6 APR 2012
- Australian Research Council Linkage. Grant Number: LP0669757
- Industry Partners Alcoa of Australia
- BHP Billiton Worsley Alumina Pty Ltd
- 2001. Logistic regression using the SAS system: theory and application. Wiley-SAS Institute, Chichester.
- 2009. Associations between floral specialization and species diversity: cause, effect, or correlation? Evol. Ecol. 23:159–179. , and .
- 2007. Jarrah forest ecosystem restoration: a forward. Restor. Ecol. 15:S1–S2. , and .
- 2007. Genetic sub-structure and intermediate optimal outcrossing distance in the marine angiosperm Zostera marina. Mar. Biol. 152:793–801. , , , and .
- 2006. Seed provenance matters – effects on germination of four plant species used for ecological restoration. Basic Appl. Ecol. 7:347–359. , , , and .
- 2010. The importance of plant provenance and genotypic diversity of seed material used for ecological restoration. Restor. Ecol. 18:338–348. , , and .
- 2008. Seed supply for broadscale restoration: maximizing evolutionary potential. Evol. Appl. 1:587–597. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Postzygotic seed abortion in the genetic system of Stylidium (Angiospermae: Stylidiaceae). J. Hered. 82:319–328. , and .
- 2006. Rapid genetic delineation of local provenance seed-collection zones for effective rehabilitation of an urban bushland remnant. Austral Ecol. 31:164–175. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Do plant populations purge their genetic load? Effects of population size and mating history on inbreeding depression. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 30:479–513. , and .
- 2001. Incorporation of sodium sulfite into extraction protocol minimizes degradation of Acacia DNA. Biotechniques 30:742–748. , , and .
- 2011. Assessing genetic risk in revegetation. J. Appl. Ecol. 48:1365–1373. , , and .
- 2003. Recent approaches into the genetic basis of inbreeding depression in plants. Philos. Trans. Biol. Sci. 358:1071–1084. , and .
- 1987. Inbreeding depression and its evolutionary consequences. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 18:237–268. , and .
- 1993. Non-parametric multivariate analyses of changes in community structure. Aust. J. Ecol. 18:117–143.
- 2006. PRIMER v6: User Manual/Tutorial. PRIMER-E, Plymouth. , and .
- 2003. Evolutionary patterns and genetic structure in localized and widespread species in the Stylidium caricifolium complex (Stylidiaceae). Am. J. Bot. 90:997–1008. , , and .
- 2002. Does parental divergence predict reproductive compatibility? Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:520–527.
- 2007. Between a rock and a hard place: evaluating the relative risks of inbreeding and outbreeding for conservation and management. Mol. Ecol. 16:463–475.
- 2006. AFLPdat: a collection of R functions for convenient handling of AFLP data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:603–604.
- 1958. Triggerplants. Paterson Brokensha Pty, Perth, WA.
- 2011. Tests for inbreeding and outbreeding depression and estimation of population differentiation in the bird-pollinated shrub Grevillea mucronulata. Ann. Bot. 108:185–195. , , , and .
- 2011. Predicting the probability of outbreeding depression. Conserv. Biol. 25:465–475. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Outbreeding depression caused by intraspecific hybridization between local and nonlocal genotypes in Abies sachalinensis. Restor. Ecol. 19:243–250. , , , and .
- 2009. OCBIL theory: towards an integrated understanding of the evolution, ecology and conservation of biodiversity on old, climatically buffered, infertile landscapes. Plant Soil 322:49–86.
- 2004. The southwest Australian floristic region: evolution and conservation of a global hot spot of biodiversity. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 35:623–650. , and .
- 2003. Plant ecotypes: genetic differentiation in the age of ecological restoration. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:147–155. , and .
- 1979. Chromosome numbers and genetic systems in the trigger plants of Western Australia (Stylidium; Stylidiaceae). Aust. J. Bot. 27:17–25.
- 2003. The restoration gene pool concept: beyond the native versus non-native debate. Restor. Ecol. 11:281–290.
- 2000. Genetic introgression from distant provenances reduces fitness in local weed populations. J. Appl. Ecol. 37:647–659. , , and .
- 1996. Genetic structure and gene flow in Elymus glaucus (blue wildrye): implications for native grassland restoration. Restor. Ecol. 4:1–10. , and .
- 2007. Alcoa's mining and restoration process in South Western Australia. Restor. Ecol. 15:S1–S16.
- 2007. Restoring jarrah forest understory vegetation after bauxite mining in Western Australia. Restor. Ecol. 15:S26–S39. , and .
- 2006. Rapid genetic identification of local provenance seed collection zones for ecological restoration and biodiversity conservation. J. Nat. Conserv. 14:190–199. , and .
- 2004. Rapid genetic delineation of provenance for plant community restoration. J. Appl. Ecol. 41:1162–1173. , and .
- 2005. A novel approach for the rapid genetic delineation of provenance for minesite restoration. Ecol. Manage. Restor. 6:153–155. , , and .
- 2004. Relating processes to patterns of genetic variation across landscapes. For. Ecol. Manage. 197:91–102.
- 2004. Evidence for ancient genetic subdivision among recently fragmented populations of the endangered shrub Grevillea caleyi (Proteaceae). Heredity 92:519–526. , , and .
- 1994. Analysis of population genetic structure with RAPD markers. Mol. Ecol. 3:91–99. , and .
- 2005. How local is local? A review of practical and conceptual issues in the genetics of restoration Restor. Ecol. 13:432–440. , , , and .
- 2001. Nonlocal transplantation and outbreeding depression in the subshrub Lotus scoparius (Fabaceae). Am. J. Bot. 88:258–269. , and .
- 2000. Local seed for revegetation. Ecol. Manage. Restor. 1:93–101.
- 2006. GenAlEx 6: genetic analysis in excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2002. Experimental design and data analysis for biologists. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , and .
- 2001. How closely correlated are molecular and quantitative measures of genetic variation? A meta-analysis. Evolution 55:1095–1103. , and .
- 2003. Correlation between fitness and genetic diversity. Conserv. Biol. 17:230–237. , and .
- 2003. Managing microevolution: restoration in the face of global change. Front. Ecol. Environ. 1:469–478. , and .
- 2000. Evolutionary factors affecting the probability of local adaptation or should we expect to see ecotypes behind every rock? pp. 178–194 in J. E. Keeley, M. Baer-Keeley, C. J. Fotheringham, eds. 2nd interface between ecology and land development in California. Open File Report 00-62. USGS, Denver, CO. , and .
- 1996. Inbreeding depression and outbreeding depression in plants. Heredity 77:461–468. , and .
- 2011. Building evolutionary resilience for conserving biodiversity under climate change. Evol. Appl. 4:326–337. , , and .
- 2008. Morphological and molecular variation in Conospermum triplinervium (Proteaceae), the tree smokebush: implications for bushland restoration. Aust. J. Bot. 56:451–460. , , , and .
- 2010. High genetic diversity in a clonal relict Alexgeorgea nitens (Restionaceae): implications for ecological restoration. Aust. J. Bot. 58:206–213. , , , and .
- 1986. Coadaptation and outbreeding depression. pp. 105–116 in M. E. Soule, ed. Conservation biology: the science of scarcity and diversity. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 2010. To germinate or not to germinate: more than just a question of dormancy. Seed Sci. Res. 20:209–211. , and .
- 2002. AFLP-SURV version 1.0. Distributed by the author. Laboratoire de Génétique et Ecologie Végétale, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium.
- 1995. AFLP: a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Res. 23:4407–4414. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Chloroplast DNA polymorphisms in lodgepole and jack pines and their hybrids. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 84:2097–2100. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Population structure, optimal outbreeding and assortative mating in angiosperms. pp. 173–199 in N. M. Thornhill, ed. The natural history of inbreeding and outbreeding: theoretical and empirical perspectives. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Western Australian Herbarium. 1998. FloraBase–the Western Australian Flora. Department of Environment and Conservation, Perth, WA. Available at http://florabase.dec.wa.gov.au/.
- 2002. Microsatellite variation in cyclically parthogenetic populations of Myzus persicae in south-eastern Australia. Heredity 88:258–266. , , , and .