Otis Bay Ecological Consultants provided financial support for sample collection.
The disappearing northern leopard frog (Lithobates pipiens): conservation genetics and implications for remnant populations in western Nevada
Article first published online: 22 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 8, pages 2040–2056, August 2012
How to Cite
Rogers, S. D. and Peacock, M. M. (2012), The disappearing northern leopard frog (Lithobates pipiens): conservation genetics and implications for remnant populations in western Nevada. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 2040–2056. doi: 10.1002/ece3.308
- Issue published online: 6 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 22 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 29 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 APR 2012
- Otis Bay Ecological Consultants
- 2007. Conservation and the genetics of populations. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford. , and .
- 1992. Use of linkage disequilibrium data to estimate effective size of hatchery and natural fish populations. Conserv. Biol. 6:365–375. , , , and .
- BC Ministry of Environment, Lands, and Parks, Resources Inventory Branch (BCMELP). 1998. Inventory methods for pond-breeding amphibians and painted turtle: standards for components of British Columbia's Biodiversity No. 37. Version 2.0. Available at http://ilmbwwwgovbcca/risc/pubs/tebiodiv/pond/indexhtm (accessed April, 2010).
- 2001. Application of genetic bottleneck testing to the investigation of amphibian declines: a case study with natterjack toads. Conserv. Biol. 15:266–270. , and .
- 2008. An introduction to molecular ecology. 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, New York. , and .
- 2002. Complexity in conservation, lessons from the global decline of amphibian populations. Ecol. Lett. 4:597–608. , and .
- 1994. Amphibian declines: judging stability, persistence, and susceptibility of populations to local and global extinctions. Conserv. Biol. 8:60–71. , , and .
- 2003. Ultraviolet radiation, toxic chemicals, and amphibian population declines. Divers. Distrib. 9:123–140. , , , and .
- 2004. Contrasting population structures in two sympatric anurans, implications for species conservation. Heredity 92:110–117. , and .
- 2006. Large variations in the ratio of effective breeding and census population sizes between two species of pond breeding anurans. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 89:365–372. , and .
- 2000. Variation in pesticide tolerance of tadpoles among and within species of Ranidae and patterns of amphibian decline. Conserv. Biol. 14:1490–1499. , and .
- 2005. Investigating the population-level effects of chitridiomycosis, an emerging disease of amphibians. Ecology 86:3149–3159. , , , and .
- 2001. Effects of disturbance on amphibians of conservation concern in eastern Oregon and Washington. Northwest Sci. 75:174–179. , and .
- 1976. Introduced amphibians and reptiles in California. Biol. Conserv. 10:1–14. , and .
- 1987. Natural hybridization and introgression in fishes, methods of detection and genetic interpretations. Pp. 161–192 in N. Ryman and F. Utter, eds. Population genetics and fisheries management (Washington Sea Grant Program). University of Washington Press, Seattle. .
- 2009. Extinction in our times, global amphibian decline. Oxford University Press, New York. , and .
- 1984. Extinction of montane populations of the northern leopard frog (Rana pipiens) in Colorado. J. Herpetol. 18:147–152. , and .
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144:2001–2014. , and .
- 2009. Amphibian diversity and life history. Pp. 4–19 in C. K. Dodd, ed. Amphibian ecology and conservation: a handbook of techniques. Techniques in Ecology & Conservation Series. Oxford University Press, New York, NY. .
- 2003. Infectious disease and amphibian population declines. Divers. Distrib. 9:141–150. , , and .
- 1965. Summer movements of adult leopard frogs, Rana pipiens Schreber, in northern Michigan. Ecology 46:236–255.
- 1968. Homing in leopard frogs, Rana pipiens. Ecology 49:386–399.
- 2002. A reproductive site selection and characteristics of sources and sinks in an Italian tree frog metapopulation (Hyla intermedia, Boulenger 1882). Rev. Ecol. 57:263–278. , and .
- 2008. Genetic variation across species' geographical ranges, the central-marginal hypothesis and beyond. Mol. Ecol. 17:1170–1188. , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software structure, a simulations study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2001. Oral chytridiomycosis in the mountain yellow-legged frog (Rana muscosa). Copeia 4:945–953. , , and .
- 1980. The genetic basis of color polymorphism in Rana pipiens. J. Hered. 71:439–440. , , and .
- 2005. Population structure of Columbia spotted frogs (Rana luteiventris) is strongly affected by the landscape. Mol. Ecol. 14:483–496. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The emerging amphibian pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis globally infects introduced populations of the North American bullfrog, Rana catesbeiana. Biol. Lett. 2:455–459. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Distribution and postbreeding environmental relationships of northern leopard frogs (Rana [Lithobates] pipiens) in Washington. West. North Am. Nat. 69:537–547. , and .
- 2001. FSTAT: a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3). Updated from Goudet (1995). Available at http://wwwunilch/popgen/sofwares/fstathtml. .
- 2003. Combined effects of UV-B radiation and nitrate fertilizer on larval amphibians. Ecol. Appl. 13:1083–1093. , and .
- 1986. Decline of ranid frog species in western north America, are bullfrogs (Rana catesbeiana) responsible?J. Herpetol. 20:490–509. , and .
- 1997. Amphibian pond communities in southwestern Ontario. In: Amphibians in decline, Canadian studies of a global problem (ed Green DM). Herpetol. Conserv. 1:1–15.
- 1981. Estimation of effective population size from data on linkage disequilibrium. Genet. Resour. 38:209–216.
- 1981. Leopard frog populations and mortality in Wisconsin, 1974-76. Technical Bulletin No. 122. Department of Natural Resources, Madison, WI. , , and .
- 2001. The status and distribution of the northern leopard frog (Rana pipiens). [M.S. thesis], University of Nevada, Reno, NV. .
- 2004a. Evolutionary history of the northern leopard frog, reconstruction of phylogeny, phylogeography, and historical changes in population demography from mitochondrial DNA. Evolution 58:145–159. , and .
- 2004b. Historical data refute recent range contraction as cause of low genetic diversity in isolated frog populations. Mol. Ecol. 13:271–276. , and .
- 2003. Nine polymorphic microsatellite loci for the northern leopard frog (Rana pipiens). Mol. Ecol. Notes 3:115–116. , , and .
- 2004. Effective population sizes and temporal stability of genetic structure in Rana pipiens, the northern leopard frog. Evolution 58:2536–2545. , , and .
- 1985. Pre-1900 overharvest of California red-legged frog (Rana aurora draytonii) (Ranidae). Southwest. Nat. 30:601–605. , and .
- 2003. Alien predators and amphibian declines, review of two decades of science and the transition to conservation. Divers. Distrib. 9:99–110. , and .
- 2001. Mechanisms underlying the displacement of native red-legged frogs by introduced bullfrogs. Ecol. Soc. Am. 82:1964–1970. , , and .
- 2005. Amphibian declines: the conservation status of United States species. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. , ed.
- 2001. Colonization of restored wetlands by amphibians in Minnesota. Am. Midland Nat. 145:388–396. , and .
- 1999. Survey and assessment of northern leopard frog (Rana pipiens) populations in Washington state. Northwest. Nat. 80:51–60. , , and .
- 2003. Tissue collection protocol for genetic research. University of California, Davis. Available at http://genomelabucdavisedu/People/Stephens/Tissue%20collection%20protocol%20-%20bookformpdf (accessed June 2008). , , , , and .
- 1940. Amphibians and reptiles in Nevada. Proc. Am. Acad. Arts Sci. 73:197–257.
- 1991. The use of Bactine® in the treatment of open wounds and other lesions in captive anurans. Herpetol. Rev. 22:21. , and .
- 2001. Effects of nonnative trout on pacific treefrogs (Hyla regilla) in the Sierra Nevada. Copeia 4:1130–1137. , , , and .
- 1965. The distribution of the dominant Burnsi gene in the leopard frog, Rana pipiens. Evolution 19:69–95.
- 1970. Migration and gene dispersal in Rana pipiens. Am. Zool. 10:47–52.
- 1996. The one-migrant-per-generation rule in conservation management. Conserv. Biol. 10:1509–1518. , and .
- 2003. Genetic structure in a montane ranid frog, restricted gene flow and nuclear-mitochondrial discordance. Mol. Ecol. 12:3275–3286. , and .
- 1942. An embryological and genetical study of Rana burnsi weed. Genetics 27:408–416.
- 2011. Effects of the landscape on boreal toad gene flow, does the pattern-process relationship hold true across distinct landscapes at the northern range margin?Mol. Ecol. 20:4858–4869. , , , and .
- 2011. A survey for the amphibian chytrid fungus Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in New Zealand's endemic Hochstetter's frog (Leiopelma hochstetteri). NZ J. Zool. 38:181–184. , , and .
- 2001. Microsatellite variation and fine-scale population structure in the wood frog (Rana sylvatica). Mol. Ecol. 10:1087–1100. , and .
- 2007. A documented amphibian decline over 40 years, possible causes and implications for species recovery. Biol. Conserv. 138:399–411. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Heterozygosity and survival in blue tits (Cyanistes caeruleus): contrasting effects of presumably functional and neutral loci. Mol. Ecol. 20:4028–4041. , , and .
- 2004. High degree of population subdivision in a widespread amphibian. Mol. Ecol. 13:2631–2644. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Distribution of amphibians and reptiles along the Truckee River system. Northwest Sci. 68:197–204. , and .
- 2004. NeEstimator, software for estimating effective population size, Version 13. Queensland Government, Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. , , and .
- 1999. BOTTLENECK, a computer program for detecting recent molecular reductions in the effective population size using allele frequency data. J. Hered. 90:502–503. , , and .
- 2000. Landscape complementation and metapopulation effects on leopard frog populations. Ecology 81:249–2508. , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1997-2009. ImageJ. US National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD. Available at http://rsbwebnihgov/ij/ (accessed March, 2010). .
- 2003. Predator cues and pesticides, a double danger for amphibians. Ecol. Appl. 13:1515–1521.
- 2005. Development and characterization of polymorphic microsatellite DNA loci for the endangered dusky gopher frog, Rana sevosa, and two closely related species Rana capito and Rana areolata. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:436–438. , and .
- 2009. Genetic consequences of population reduction and geographic isolation in the critically endangered frog, Rana sevosa. Copeia 4:799–806. , , and .
- 2003. Flows for floodplain forests, a successful riparian restoration. Bioscience 53:647–656. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. An economic method for the fluorescent labeling of PCR fragments. Nat. Biotechnol. 18:233–234.
- 1998. COSEWIC status report on the northern leopard frog Rana pipiens (Southern Mountain and Prairie populations) in Canada. Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, Ottawa. , and .
- 2000. Principles for management of aquatic-breeding amphibians. J. Wildl. Manag. 64:625–631.
- 2005. Dispersal and the metapopulation paradigm in amphibian ecology and conservation, are all amphibian populations metapopulations?Ecography 28:110–128. , and .
- 2007. Northern leopard frog (Rana pipiens), a technical conservation assessment [Online]. USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Region. Available at http://wwwfsfedus/r2/projects/scp/assessments/northernleopardfrogpdf (accessed January 2010). , and .
- 2006. Molecular evidence for historical and recent population size reductions of tiger salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum) in Yellowstone National Park. Conserv. Genet. 7:605–611. , , , and .
- 2004. Human alterations of riparian ecosystems. Pp. 99–126 in M. B. Baker Jr, P. F. Folliott, L. F. DeBano, D. G. Neary, eds. Riparian areas of the southwestern United States, hydrology, ecology and management. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Status and trends of amphibian declines and extinctions worldwide. Science 306:1783–1786. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Treatment of spontaneous Chytridiomycosis in captive amphibians using Itraconazole. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 73:155–159. , , , , and .
- 2011. Major histocompatibility complex heterozygosity enhances reproductive success. Mol. Ecol. 20:1546–1557. , , , and .
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service Arizona Ecological Services. 2009. Endangered and threatened wildlife and plants: 90-day finding on a petition to list the northern leopard fog (Lithobates [=Rana] pipiens) in the western United States as threatened. Fed. Reg. 74:31389–31401.
- 2004. Adverse effects of ecologically relevant dietary mercury exposure in southern leopard frog (Rana sphenocephala). Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 23:2964–2970. , , , and .
- 1955. A taxo-genetic analysis of the status of Rana kandiyohi weed. Syst. Biol. 4:75–82.
- 2011. Phenotypic profiling of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, a lethal fungal pathogen of amphibians. Fungal Ecol. 4:196–200.
- 2011. Interactions between Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis and its amphibian hosts, a review of pathogenesis and immunity. Microbes Infect. 13:25–32. , , and .
- 2008. Are we in the midst of a sixth mass extinction? A viewfrom the world of amphibians. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105:11466–11473. , and .
- 1991. Genetic methods for estimating the effective size of Cetacean populations. Rep. Int. Whaling Comm. (Special Issue) 13:270–300.
- 2003. Status of the northern leopard frog (Rana pipiens) in western Montana. Northwest. Nat. 84:24–30.
- 2012. Heterozygosity predicts clutch and egg size but not plasticity in a house sparrow populations with no evidence of inbreeding. Mol. Ecol. 21:406–421. , , and .
- 2008. Genetic diversity and structure in Canadian northern leopard frog (Rana pipiens) populations, implications for reintroduction programs. Can. J. Zool. 86:863–874. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Resistance to chytridiomycosis varies among amphibian species and is correlated with skin peptide defense. Anim. Conserv. 10:409–417. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Northern leopard frog Rana pipiens is a widespread reservoir species harboring Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in North America. Herpetol. Rev. 39:66–68. , , , and .
- 1969. Evolution and the genetics of population, Volume 2: The theory of gene frequencies. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2003. Population genetics of a successful invader, the marsh frog (Rana ridibunda) in Britain. Mol. Ecol. 12:639–646. , and .