U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Pacific Walrus and climate change: observations and predictions
Article first published online: 22 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Author. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 8, pages 2072–2090, August 2012
How to Cite
MacCracken, J. G. (2012), Pacific Walrus and climate change: observations and predictions. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 2072–2090. doi: 10.1002/ece3.317
- Issue published online: 6 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 22 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 8 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 2 MAY 2012
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- 2010. Greenhouse gas mitigation can reduce sea-ice loss and increase polar bear persistence. Nature 468:955–958. , , , , , , et al.
- Arctic Climate Impact Assessment (ACIA). 2005. Scientific report. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- Arctic Council. 2009. Arctic marine shipping assessment 2009 report. Arctic Council, Oslo, Norway.
- Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP). 2009. Update on selected climate issues of concern. Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme, Oslo, Norway.
- 2011. Arctic marine biodiversity: an update of species richness and examples of biodiversity change. Oceanography 24:232–248. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. State of the climate 2010. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 92:S1–S266. , , and , eds.
- 1982. The harvest of Pacific walruses by the pelagic whaling industry, 1848–1914. Arct. Alp. Res. 3:183–188. , and .
- 2011. Russia opens its maritime arctic. Proc. Mag. 137:50–54.
- 2009. Contemporary Arctic change: a paleoclimate déjà vu? Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 106:18431–18432.
- 2010. Interacting regime shifts in ecosystems: implications for early warnings. Ecol. Monogr. 80:353–367. , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference. A practical information-theoretic approach. Springer, New York, 488 p. , and .
- 2010. Decrease in CO2 uptake capacity in an ice-free Arctic Ocean basin. Science 329:556–559. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Contributions to accelerating atmospheric CO2 growth from economic activity, carbon intensity, and efficiency of natural sinks. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 104:18866–18870. , , , , , , et al.
- 1890. The method of multiple working hypotheses. Science 15:93.
- 2008. Understanding and predicting ecological dynamics: are major surprises inevitable? Ecology 89:952–961. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Arctic sea ice decline: projected changes in timing and extent of sea ice in the Bering and Chukchi Seas. United States Geological Survey, Open File Report 2010-1176, Reston, VA. .
- 1999. The Late Wisconsinian and Holocene record of walrus (Odobenus rosmarus) from North America: a review with new data from Arctic and Atlantic Canada. Arctic 52:160–181. , , , and .
- 1882. A monograph of the Seal Islands of Alaska. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 258 pp.
- 2007. Revisiting Chamberlin: multiple working hypotheses for the 21st century. Bioscience 57:608–614. , and .
- Eskimo Walrus Commission (EWC). 2003. Conserving our culture through traditional management. Kawerak Inc., Nome, AK.
- 1978. Evaluation of an aerial survey of Pacific walruses (Odobenus rosmarus divergens). J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 35:1130–1140. , and .
- 1975. Abundance and distribution of the Pacific Walrus: results of the first Soviet/Amercian joint aerial survey, autumn 1975. Nat. Fish Wildl. Lab., Cent. Coast. Mar. Stud., Univ. Calif., Santa Cruz, CA 33 pp. , and .
- 2008. Impacts of ocean acidification on marine fauna and ecosystem processes. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 65:414–432. , , , and .
- 1957. History and present status of the Pacific walrus population. Trans. N. Am. Wildl. Conf. 22:431–445.
- 1982. Ecology and biology of the Pacific walrus, Odobenus rosmarus divergens Illiger. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, North American Fauna 74, Washington, DC. 280 pp. .
- 1994. The harvest of Pacific walrus, 1931-1989. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Technical Report, MMM 94-2, Anchorage, AK. , and .
- 1980. Mass natural mortality of walruses (Odobenus rosmarus) at St. Lawrence Island, Bering Sea, autumn 1978. Arctic 33:226–245. , and .
- 1984. Modern populations, migrations, demography, trophics, and historical status of the Pacific walrus, final report. Institute of Marine Science, University of Alaska Fairbanks 144 pp. , , , , and .
- 1989. Managing the expolitation of Pacific walruses: a tradgey of delayed response and poor comunication. Mar. Mamm. Sci. 5:1–16. , , and .
- 1994. The struck-and-lost factor in Alaskan walrus harvests, 1952–1972. Arctic 47:368–373. , , , and .
- 1997. Status of the Pacific walrus population, 1950–1989. Mar. Mamm. Sci. 13:537–565. , , , , and .
- 1984. Present status of the population of walruses (Odobenus rosmarus) in the eastern Arctic and Bearing Sea. Pp. 73–85 in V. E. Rodin, A. S. Perlov, A. A. Berzin, G. M. Gavrilov, N. S. Shevchenko, N. S. Fadeev and E. B. Kucheriavenko, eds. Marine mammals of the far East. Pacific Fisheries Research Center, Vladivostok, RF.
- 2004. Impact of anthropogenic CO2 on the CaCO3 system in the oceans. Science 305:362–366. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Walrus tracking. United States Geological Survey, Anchorage, AK. Available at http://alaska.usgs.gov/science/biology/walrus/tracking.html (accessed November 21, 2011). .
- 2009. Enumeration of Pacific walrus carcasses on beaches of the Chukchi Sea in Alaska following a mortality event, September 2009. United States Geological Survey, Open-File Rep. 2009-1291, Reston, VA. , , and .
- 2011. Top 40 priorities for science to inform US conservation and management policy. Bioscience 61:290–300. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Biology of the hard clam. Pp. 53–76 in J. N. Kraeuter, and M. Castagna, eds. Developments in aquaculture and fisheries science. Elsevier, New York.
- 2012. Adapting to climate change: a community workshop on the conservation and management of walruses on the Chukchi Sea coast. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Marine Mammals Management, Anchorage, AK.
- 2006. Trends in age structure and productivity of Pacific walruses harvested in the Bering Strait region of Alaska, 1952–2002. Mar. Mamm. Sci. 22:880–896. , , and .
- 2011. Field report: walrus carcass survey, Point Lay, Alaska September, 11–15, 2011. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Marine Mammals Management, Anchorage, AK. , , and .
- 1992. Aerial census of Pacific walrus. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Technical Report MMM 92-1, Anchorage, AK. , , , , and .
- 1999. Review of previous Pacific walrus surveys to develop improved survey designs. Pp. 74–85 in G. W. Garner, S. C. Amstrup, J. L. Laake, B .F. J. Manly, L. L. McDonald and D. G. Robertson, eds. Marine mammal survey methods. AA Balkema, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- 2011. Scanning the conservation horizon: a guide to climate change vulnerability assessment. National Wildlife Federation, Washington, DC. , , and .
- 1976. Aerial surveys of Pacific walrus in the Soviet sector during the fall 1975. Pacific Fisheries Research Center, Magadan, USSR, 22 pp.
- 2011. From uncertainty to action: climate change projections and the management of large natural areas. Bioscience 61:504–505.
- 1989. Pelagic-benthic coupling on the shelf of the northern Bering and Chukchi Seas II. Benthic community structure. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 51:253–268. , , and .
- 2006. A major ecosystem shift in the northern Bering Sea. Science 311:1461–1464. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Predicted levels of future ocean acidification and temperature rise could alter community structure and biodiversity in marine benthos communities. Oikos 120:661–674. , , , , and .
- 2011. Late Pleisitocene and Holocene distribution of Mytilus edulis in the Barents Sea region and its paleoclimatic implications. J. Biogeogr. 38:1197–1212. , , , , and .
- 2010. Vulnerability of marine biodiversity to ocean acidification: a meta-analysis. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 86:157–164. , , and .
- 2011. The historical ecology of walrus exploitation in the North Pacific. Pp. 41–64 in T. J. Braje, and R. C. Torben, eds. Human impacts on seals, sea lions, and sea otters: integrating archaeology and ecology in the Northeast Pacific. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA.
- 1994. Detecting Pacific walrus population trends with aerial surveys: a review. Trans. Fifty-Ninth N. Am. Wildl. Nat. Res. Conf. 59:201–210. , and .
- 2011. Rethinking species' ability to cope with rapid climate change. Glob. Change Biol. 17:2987–2990. , , , and .
- 2008. Marine mammal harvests and other interactions with humans. Ecol. Appl. 18:S135–S147. , , and .
- 2009. A preliminary assessment of threats to arctic marine mammals and their conservation in the coming decades. Mar. Policy 33:77–82.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2007. Climate change 2007. The scientific basis. Contribution of working group 1 to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, and New York, 996 p.
- 2005. Movements of walruses radio-tagged in Bristol Bay, Alaska. Arctic 58:192–202. , and .
- 2011. Projected status of the Pacific walrus (Odobenus rosmarus divergens) in the twenty-first century. Polar Biol. 34:1065–1084. , , and .
- 2008. Marine mammals of the world. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. 573 pp. , , and .
- 1982. Aerial survey of Pacific walrus, 1980. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Denver Wildlife Research Center, Anchorage, AK. , , , and .
- 2011. Securing the future of the natural environment: using scenarios to anticipate challenges to bidoversity, landscapes, and public engagement with nature. J. Appl. Ecol. 48:1518–1526. , , , and .
- 2010. Climate change and ice breeding pinnipeds. Pp. 43–55 in G. Walther, C. A. Burga, and P. J. Edwards, eds. Fingerprints of climate change. Kluwer, New York.
- 2010. Walrus harvest monitoring in Chukotka 2009. Technical report. Eskimo Walrus Commission, Kawerak, Inc., Nome, AK. .
- 2010. Meta-analysis reveals negative yet variable effects of ocean acidification on marine organisms. Ecol. Lett. 13:1419–1434. , , , and .
- 2008. Quantifying the sensitivity of arctic marine mammals to climate-induced habitat change. Ecol. Appl. 18:S97–S125. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Bayesian belief network models for species assessments: an example with the Pacific walrus. Wildl. Soc. Bull.: In press. , , , and .
- 2000. An examination of chronic trawling effects on soft-bottom benthos of the eastern Bering Sea. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 57:1377–1388. , , and .
- 2005. Effect of chronic bottom trawling on the size structure of sift-bottom benthic invertebrates. Am. Fish. Soc. Symp. 41:425–437. , , and .
- 2008. Sustaining a healthy human-walrus relationship in a dynamic environment: challenges for comanagement. Ecol. Appl. 18:S148–S156. , and .
- 2009. Background paper: Arctic shipping. Arctic Transform. Available at: http://arctic-transform.org/download/ShipBP.pdf. .
- 2009. Ecosystem responses to recent oceanographic variability in high-latitude northern hemisphere ecosystems. Prog. Oceanogr. 81:93–110. , , , , , , , and .
- National Snow and Ice Data Center. 2012. Arctic sea ice news and analysis. The National Snow and Ice Data Center, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). 2010. Fisheries of the exclusive economic zone off Alaska: modified nonpelagic trawl gear and habitat conservation in the Bering Sea subarea. Fed. Reg. 75:61642–61652.
- National Research Council of the National Academies (NRC). 2009. Understanding the biotic effects of future environmental change. National Academies Press, Washington, DC. 200pp.
- National Snow and Ice Data Center. 2012. Arctic sea ice news and analysis. The National Snow and Ice Data Center, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- Ocean Acidification Task Force (OATF). 2011. Summary of work completed and recommendations for ORRAP to convey to the IWGOA. Ocean Research and Resources Advisory Panel, Federal Advisory Commission. Available at: http://www.nopp.org/committees/orrap/sub-groups/ocean-acidification-task-force/ (accessed November 17, 2011).
- 2004. Watching ice and weather our way. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, DC. 207 pp. , , , , and .
- 2004. Is the climate of the Bering Sea warming and affecting the ecosystem? EOS 85:309–316. , and .
- 1964. Strong inference. Science 146:347–353.
- 1975. Social function of the underwater sounds in the walrus Odobenus rosmarus. Pp. 524–526 in K. Ronald, and A. W. Mansfield, eds. Biology of the seal. International Council on Exploration of the Sea, Copenhagen, Denmark. , and .
- 2010. Seascape an organizing principle for evaluating walrus and seal sea-ice habitat in Beringia. Geophys. Res. Lett. 37:1–6. , , and .
- 2010. Marine mammal monitoring and mitigation during open water-shallow hazards and site clearance durveys by Shell Offshore Inc. in the Alaskan Chukchi Sea, July–October 2009: 90-day report. LGL Alaska Research Associates Inc. and JASCO Research Ltd., Anchorage, AK and Victoria, BC. , , , and .
- 2009. From laboratory manipulations to earth system models: scaling calcification impacts of ocean acidification. Biogeosciences 6:2611–2623. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Limitations of an optimum sustainable population or potential biological removal approach for conserving marine mammals: Pacific walrus case study. J. Environ. Manage. 91:57–66. , , , and .
- 1995. Minority producer co-ops face marketing and finanacial challenges. Rural Coop. July/August:15–17. .
- 1874. The marine mammals of the northwest coast of North America. JH Carmany, San Francisco, CA. 319 pp.
- 2010. Walrus Islands state game sanctuary annual management report 2010. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Division of Wildlife Conservation, Anchorage, AK. , and .
- 2011. Rethinking the sea-ice tipping point. Nature 471:47–48.
- 2009. Pacific walrus (Odobenus rosmarus divergens): differential prey digestion and diet. Mar. Mamm. Sci. 25:761–777. , and .
- 2011. Fluxes, fins, and feathers: relationships among the Bering, Chukchi, and Beaufort Seas in a time of climate change. Oceanography 24:250–265. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Unusual abundance of marobenthos and biological invasions in the Chukchi Sea. Russ. J. Mar. Biol. 33:355–364. , and .
- 2011. Results and evaluation of a survey to estimate Pacific walrus population size, 2006. Mar. Mamm. Sci. 27:514–553. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. On the recent warming of the southeastern Bering Sea shelf. Deep Sea Res. 54:2599–2618. , , and .
- 2012. A comparison of the physics, chemistry, and biology of the northeastern and southeastern Bering Sea shelf. Deep Sea Res. II: 65–70:14–30. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Retreat of the cold halocline layer in the Arctic Ocean. J. Geophys. Res. 103:10419–10435. , and .
- 2008. Arctic Ocean surface warming trends over the past 100 years. Geophys. Res. Lett. 35:1–6, L02614. , , and .
- 2009. Imminent ocean acidification in the Arctic projected with the NCAR golbal coupled acrbon cycle-climate model. Biogeosciences 6:515–533. , , , , and .
- 2007. Arctic sea-ice decline: faster than forecast. Geophys. Res. Lett. 34:1–5, L09501. , , , et al.
- 2001. Comparison of methods used to estimate numbers of walruses on sea ice. Mar. Mamm. Sci. 17:601–616. , , and .
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). 2008. Marine mammals; incidental take during specified activities; final rule. Fed. Reg. 73:33212–33255.
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). 2011. Endangered and threatened wildlife and plants; 12-month finding on a petition to list the Pacific walrus as endangered or threatened. Fed. Reg. 76:7634–7679.
- United States Coast Guard (USGC). 2011. Port access route study: in the Bering Strait. Fed. Reg. 75:68568–68770.
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). 2012 Pacific walrus (Odobenus rosmarus divergens): Alaska stock. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Marine Mammals Management, Anchorage, AK. Available at http://alaska.fws.gov/fisheries/mmm/walrus/reports.htm#stock (accessed February 22, 2012).
- 2009. A sea ice free summer arctic within 30 years? Geophys. Res. Lett. 36:1–5. , and .
- 2011. Footprints of climate change in the Arctic marine ecosystem. Glob. Chang. Biol. 17:1235–1249. , , , and .
- 2007. Novel climates, no analog communities, and ecological surprises. Front. Ecol. Environ. 5:475–482. , and .
- 2011. Extrinsic and intrinsic forcing of abrupt ecological change: case studies from the Quaternary. J. Ecol. 99:664–677. , , and .
- 2006. Fishery management options for the Alaskan EEZ in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas of the Arctic Ocean – a discussion paper. North Pacific Fisheries Management Council, Anchorage, AK.
- 2010. Marine mammal haulout use in Bristol Bay and southern Kuskokwim Bay, Alaska, 2009. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Togiak National Wildlife Refuge, Dillingham, AK.
- 2010. Traditional knowledge of the native people of Chukotka about walrus. Final report. Eskimo Walrus Commission, Kawerak, Inc., Nome, AK. , , and .
- 1998. Warming of the Arctic Ocean by a strengthened Atlantic inflow: model results. Geophys. Res. Lett. 25:1745–1748. , , and .