“973” program (2011CB100401), NSFC (30730066, 30871503), and United States National Science Foundation OPUS Grant (DEB 1020799).
Sequence polymorphisms in wild, weedy, and cultivated rice suggest seed-shattering locus sh4 played a minor role in Asian rice domestication
Version of Record online: 24 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 9, pages 2106–2113, September 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(9): 2106–2113
- Issue online: 11 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 24 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 11 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 28 MAY 2012
- “973” program. Grant Number: 2011CB100401
- NSFC. Grant Numbers: 30730066, 30871503
- United States National Science Foundation. Grant Number: DEB 1020799
- 2000. Genomic regions affecting seed shattering and seed dormancy in rice. Theor. Appl. Genet. 100:840–846. , and .
- 2007. Weedy rices – origin, biology, ecology and control. FAO of the United Nations, Rome, Italy. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Evolution, consequences and future of plant and animal domestication. Nature 418:700–707.
- 2006. The molecular genetics of crop domestication. Cell 127:1309–1321. , , and .
- 2002. Sequence and analysis of rice chromosome 4. Nature 420:316–320. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The domestication process and domestication rate in rice: spikelet bases from the Lower Yangtze. Science 323:1607–1610. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. A strategy to provide long-term control of weedy rice while mitigating herbicide resistance transgene flow, and its potential use for other crops with related weeds. Pest Manag. Sci. 65:723–731. , and .
- 1975. Crops and man. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, WI.
- 2008. The process of rice domestication: a new model based on recent data. Rice 1:127–134.
- 2010. Inactivation of the CTD phosphatase-like gene OsCPL1 enhances the development of the abscission layer and seed shattering in rice. Plant J. 61:96–106. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. What it will take to feed 5.0 billion rice consumers in 2030. Plant Mol. Biol. 59:1–6.
- 2006. An SNP caused loss of seed shattering during rice domestication. Science 312:1392–1396. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Rice domestication by reducing shattering. Science 311:1936–1939. , , and .
- 2009. DnaSP v5: a software for comprehensive analysis of DNA polymorphism data. Bioinformatics 25:1451–1452. , and .
- 2007. Origin of seed shattering in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Planta 226:11–20. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. The map-based sequence of the rice genome. Nature 436:793–800. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Quantitative trait locus (QTL) analysis. Nature Education 1(1). Available at http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/Quantitative-Trait-Locus-QTL-Analysis-53904 (accessed June 29, 2012). , and .
- 1997. Archaeology: Yangtze seen as earliest rice site. Science 275:309.
- 1988. Origin of cultivated rice. Japan Scientific Society Press, Tokyo. .
- 2009. The nature of selection during plant domestication. Nature 457:843–848. , and .
- 2000. Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for bioligist programmers. Pp. 365–386 in S. Misener and S. Krawetz, eds. Bioinformatics methods and protocols (methods in molecular biology). January 2000. Humana, Newark, NJ. , and .
- 2007. Genetics and phylogenetics of rice domestication. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 17:533–538. , and .
- 1997. The CLUSTAL_X Windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:4876–4882. , , , , and .
- 2010. Molecular evolution of shattering loci in U.S. weedy rice. Mol. Ecol. 19:3271–3284. , , , , , and .
- 2008. The evolving story of rice evolution. Plant Sci. 174:394–408. , , and .
- 2009. Selection on grain shattering genes and rates of rice domestication. New Phytol. 184:708–720. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Genetic control of seed shattering in rice by the APETALA2 transcription factor SHATTERING ABORTION1. Plant Cell. Available at www.plantcell.org/cgi/doi/10.1105/tpc.111.094383 (accessed June 29, 2012). , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Fire and flood management of coastal swamp enabled first rice paddy cultivation in east China. Nature 449:459–462. , , , , , and .