This work was supported by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and industrial and government partners, through the Green Crop Network (GCN) Research Network, an NSERC Discovery Grant to ZD and an NSERC PGS-M Scholarship to A-LG.
Choice of hydrogen uptake (Hup) status in legume-rhizobia symbioses
Version of Record online: 9 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 9, pages 2285–2290, September 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(9): 2285–2290
- Issue online: 11 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 9 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 7 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 APR 2012
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Green Crop Network (GCN) Research Network
- NSERC Discovery
- NSERC PGS-M
- 1979. Hydrogenase in Rhizobium japonicum increases nitrogen fixation by nodulated soybeans. Science 4386:1255–1257. , , , , , and .
- 1984. Transmissible plant shoot factor promotes uptake activity in Rhizobium Symbionts. Plant Physiol. 75:629–633. , and .
- 1998. Effects of photoperiod and temperature on shoot, root and rhizome growth in three Lotus uliginosus Schkuhr populations. Ann. Bot. 81:55–59. , and .
- 2005. Biodiversity of uptake hydrogenase systems from legume endosymbiotic bacteria. Biochem. Soc. Trans. 33:33–35. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Crop rotation. Crit. Rev. Plant Sci. 11:309–326.
- 1993. Symbiotic nitrogen-fixing and uptake hydrogenase activity in Acacia confusa . Subtropical Plant Sci. 22:1–6. , , and .
- 1979. The role of H2 bacteria during the decomposition of H2 by doil. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 6:143–145. , and .
- 1972. Hydrogenase in legume root nodule bacteroids: occurrence and properties. Archiv Fur Microbiologie 85:193–201.
- 2001. H2 oxidation, O2 uptake and CO2 fixation in hydrogen treated soils. Plant Soil 229:1–12. , and .
- 2003. Hydrogen fertilization of soils – is this a benefit of legumes in rotation? Plant Cell Environ. 26:1875–1879. , , , , and .
- 1998. Promiscuity for nodulation and effectivity in the N2-fixing legume tree Acacia caven in Uruguay. Appl. Soil Ecol. 7:239–244. , , , and .
- 2006. Reaction mechanisms of the bacterial enzyme 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate deaminase. Biotechnol. Adv. 24:420–426. , , and .
- 2004. Effect of climatic factors on nitrogen fixation in three leguminous trees. J. Trop. Subtrop. Bot. 12:455–458. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Gas exchange of legume nodules and the regulation of nitrogenase activity. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 44:483–511. , and .
- 1993. Ethylene production by root nodules and effect of ethylene on nodulation in Glycine max . Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 59:1947–1950.
- 1983. Conservation in soil of H2 liberated from N2 fixation by HUP nodules. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 46:304–311. , and .
- 1985. Determination of the hydrogenase status of individual legume nodules by a methylene blue reduction assay. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 50:537–539. , , , and .
- 1979. Economy of photosynthate use in nitrogen-fixing legume nodules. Plant Physiol. 64:888–891. , , , and .
- 1988. Model of gas exchange and diffusion in legume nodules. Planta 173:117–127. , , and .
- 2011. Models of biological nitrogen fixation of legumes. A review. Sustainable Agriculture 2:883–905. , , , and .
- 2007. Isolation and characterization of hydrogen-oxidizing bacteria induced following exposure of soil to hydrogen gas and their impact on plant growth. Environ. Microbiol. 9:435–444. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Microbial nature of the hydrogen-oxidizing agent in hydrogen-treated soil. Biol. Fertil. Soils 35:465–469. , and .
- 1993. Hydrogen uptake by Robinia pseudoacacia nodules. Trees 8:99–103. , , , and .
- 1969. The flora of Nova Scotia. The Nova Scotia Museum, Halifax, Nova Scotia. , and .
- 1976. Hydrogen evolution: a major factor affecting the efficiency of nitrogen fixation in nodulated symbionts. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 73:1207–1211. , and .
- 1990. Activities, occurrence and localization of hydrogenase in free-living and symbiotic Frankia. Plant Physiol. 92:809–815. , and .
- 1987. Hydrogen metabolism of Casuarina root nodules: a comparison of two inoculum sources. Physiologia Plantarium 70:367–374. , and .
- 1998. Isolation and characterization of ACC deaminase genes from two different plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria. Can. J. Microbiol. 44:833–843. , , , and .
- 2006. Rhizobitoxine modulates plant-microbe interactions by ethylene inhibition. Biotechnol. Adv. 24:382–388. , , , , , and .
- 1982. Hydrogen uptake (HUP) activity of Rhizbium japonicum from major U.S. soybean production areas. Crop Sci. 22:600–602. , , , and .
- 2006. Mechanisms of isolated hydrogen-oxidizing bacteria in plant growth promotion and effects of hydrogen metabolism on rhizobacterial community structure. M.Sc. Thesis, Saint Mary's University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- 2009. Effect of hydrogen on soil bacterial community structure in two soils as determined by terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism. Plant Soil 320:295–305. , , and .
- 1995. Nitrogenase and hydrogenase activity in the nodules of Dalbergia balansae . Subtrop. Plant Sci. 24:22–25. , , and .
- 1998. Hydrogenase activity in some species of leguminous trees. Chin. J. Trop. Crops 19:71–76. , , and .