M. B. and R. D. H. were supported by the University of Florida Foundation. This manuscript is based on work done by S. M. S. while serving at the U.S. National Science Foundation. The views expressed in this paper do not necessarily reflect those of the National Science Foundation or the United States Government.
The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. XI. Joint evolution of plasticity and dispersal rate
Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 8, pages 2027–2039, August 2012
How to Cite
Scheiner, S. M., Barfield, M. and Holt, R. D. (2012), The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. XI. Joint evolution of plasticity and dispersal rate. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 2027–2039. doi: 10.1002/ece3.327
- Issue online: 6 AUG 2012
- Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 15 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAY 2012
- University of Florida Foundation
- 2010. Fitness costs may explain the post-colonisation erosion of phenotypic plasticity. J. Exp. Biol. 213:735–739. , and .
- 2004. Modeling the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Pp. 82–97 in T. J. Dewitt and S. M Scheiner, eds. Phenotypic plasticity. Functional and conceptual approaches. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. , and .
- 2005. Evolution of migration under kin selection and local adaptation. Evolution 59:13–23. , and .
- 2002. Dispersal ecology. Blackwell, Oxford, UK. , , and , eds.
- 2001. Dispersal. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. , , , and , eds.
- 1996. Short-term evolution of reduced dispersal in island plant populations. J. Ecol. 84:53–61. , and .
- 1980. Evolutionarily stable dispersal strategies. J. Theor. Biol. 82:205–230. , , and .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity: tests with predator-induced morphology and life history in a freshwater snail. J. Evol. Biol. 11:465–480.
- 2004. Phenotypic plasticity. Functional and conceptual approaches. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. , and .
- 1999. Trait compensation and cospecialization: size, shape, and antipredator behaviour. Anim. Behav. 58:397–407. , , and .
- 1999. The genetic architecture of plasticity to density in Impatiens capensis. Evolution 53:1377–1386. , and .
- 2000. Density dependence and population differentiation of genetic architecture in Impatiens capensis in natural environments. Evolution 54:1969–1981. , , , , and .
- 2005. Genetic basis and consequences of niche construction: plasticity-induced genetic constraints on the evolution of seed dispersal in Arabidopsis thaliana. Am. Nat. 165:537–550. , , and .
- 1995. Genetic differentiation in morphological responses to simulated foliage shade between populations of Impatiens capensis from open and woodland sites. Funct. Ecol. 9:655–666. , and .
- 1986. Dispersal polymorphisms in subdivided populations. J. Theor. Biol. 122:303–309.
- 1993. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. V. Evolution of reaction norm shape. J. Evol. Biol. 6:31–48. , and .
- 1977. Dispesal in stable habitats. Nature 269:578–581. , and .
- 2009. A quantitative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade-offs. Am. Nat. 173:579–588.
- 1995. Phenotypic plasticity as a product of selection in a variable environment. Am. Nat. 145:493–512.
- 2000. Costs of plasticity in foraging characteristics of the clonal plant Ranunculus repens. Evolution 54:1947–1955. , , and .
- 2002. Plasticity constrained: overgeneralized environmental cues induce phenotype errors in a freshwater snail. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4:857–870. , and .
- 2009. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity in island populations of the common frog Rana temporaria under divergent selection pressures. Evolution 63:1508–1518. , and .
- 2010. Locomotor performance in an invasive species: cane toads from the invasion front have greater endurance, but not speed, compared to conspecifics from a long-colonised area. Oecologia 162:343–348. , , , , and .
- 2010. Adaptive value and costs of physiological plasticity to soil moisture limitation in recombinant inbred lines of Avena barbata. Am. Nat. 175:211–224. , , , and .
- 1992. The evolutionary maintenance of alternative phenotypes. Am. Nat. 139:971–989.
- 1989. Adaptation to seasonality in a cricket: patterns of phenotypic and genotypic variation in body size and diapause expression along a cline in season length. Evolution 43:1483–1496. , and .
- 1995. Genetic and environmental contributions to geographic variation in the ovipositor length of a cricket. Ecology 76:1473–1482. , and .
- 2002. The evolution of dispersal distance in spatially-structured populations. Oikos 97:229–236. , , and .
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity: beyond nature and nurture. Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2002. Costs of canalization and plasticity in response to neighbors in Brassica rapa. Plant Spec. Biol. 17:109–118. , and .
- 1975. Stability and the evolution of dispersal in a heterogeneous environment. Oecologia 19:217–237.
- 1990. Selection for changes in the incidence of wing dimorphism in Gryllus firmus. Heredity 65:163–168.
- 2007. How does it feel to be like a rolling stone? Ten questions about dispersal evolution. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 38:231–253.
- 1998. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. VII. Evolution in a spatially structured environment. J. Evol. Biol. 11:303–320.
- 1998. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. VIII. The cost of plasticity in Daphnia pulex. Evolution 52:368–378. , and .
- 2012. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. X. Variation versus uncertainty. Ecol. Evol. 2:751–767. , and .
- 1993. Reaction norms of mophological and life-history traits to light availability in Impatiens capensis. Evolution 47:1654–1668.
- 2008. Environmental stress and the costs of whole-organism phenotypic plasticity in tadpoles. J. Evol. Biol. 21:97–103. , and .
- 2006. Local and global costs of adaptive plasticity to density in Arabidopsis thaliana. Am. Nat. 167:826–836. , , , and .
- 2007. Patterns of phenotypic and genetic variation for the plasticity of diapause indidence. Evolution 61:1520–1531. , and .