This work was funded by Australian Research Council Discovery award DP0986179.
The effect of nutrient enrichment on the growth, nucleic acid concentrations, and elemental stoichiometry of coral reef macroalgae
Version of Record online: 16 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 8, pages 1985–1995, August 2012
How to Cite
Reef, R., Pandolfi, J. M. and Lovelock, C. E. (2012), The effect of nutrient enrichment on the growth, nucleic acid concentrations, and elemental stoichiometry of coral reef macroalgae. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1985–1995. doi: 10.1002/ece3.330
- Issue online: 6 AUG 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 12 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAY 2012
- Australian Research Council Discovery. Grant Number: DP0986179
- 2000. The mineral nutrition of wild plants revisited: a re-evaluation of processes and patterns. Adv. Ecol. Res. 30:1–66. , and .
- 2004. The C: N: P stoichiometry of autotrophs–theory and observations. Ecol. Lett. 7:185–191.
- 2008. Stoichiometry and nutrition of plant growth in natural communities. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 39:153–170.
- 1983. C:N:P ratios of benthic marine plants. Limnol. Oceanogr. 28:568–574. , and .
- 1998. Measuring photosynthetic rates in seagrasses by pulse amplitude modulated (PAM) fluorometry. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 174:293–300. , , , , , and .
- 1976. δ13C values in marine organisms from the Great Barrier Reef. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 3:25–32. , and .
- 2006. Too much of a good thing: on stoichiometrically balanced diets and maximal growth. Ecology 87:1325–1330. , and .
- 2001. Futile transmembrane NH4+ cycling: a cellular hypothesis to explain ammonium toxicity in plants. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 98:4255–4258. , , , and .
- 1984. RNA-DNA ratio: an index of larval fish growth in the sea. Mar. Biol. 80:291–298.
- 2006. Herbivore vs. nutrient control of marine primary producers: context-dependent effects. Ecology 87:3128–3139. , and .
- 1990. The ecology and economics of storage in plants. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 21:423–447. , , and .
- 1977. Seasonal growth in Laminaria longicruris: relations with dissolved inorganic nutrients-and internal reserves of nitrogen. Mar. Biol. 40:197–205. , and .
- 1997. Polyphosphates in the red macroalga Chondrus crispus (Rhodophyceae). New Phytol. 135:587–594. , , and .
- 1966. A biochemical study of the growth of Drosophila melanogaster. J. Exp. Zool. 162:337–352. , and .
- 1983. RNA/DNA ratios and DNA concentrations as indicators of growth rate and biomass in planktonic marine organisms. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 13:61–71. , , , and .
- 1999. Meta-analysis of marine nutrient-enrichment experiments: variation in the magnitude of nutrient limitation. Ecology 80:1157–1167. , , and .
- 1983. Halimeda biomass, growth rates and sediment generation on reefs in the central Great Barrier Reef province. Coral Reefs 2:101–110.
- 1992. Nutrient concentration of aquatic plants: patterns across species. Limnol. Oceanogr. 37:882–889.
- 1985. Steady-state luxury consumption and the concept of optimum nutrient ratios: a study with phosphate and nitrate limited Selenastrum minutum (chlorophyta)1. J. Phycol. 21:592–602. , and .
- 2000a. Nutritional constraints in terrestrial and freshwater food webs. Nature 408:578–580. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000b. Biological stoichiometry from genes to ecosystems. Ecol. Lett. 3:540–550. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Growth rate-stoichiometry couplings in diverse biota. Ecol. Lett. 6:936–943. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Response of grazing snails to phosphorus enrichment of modern stromatolitic microbial communities. Freshw. Biol. 50:1826–1835. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Is the growth rate hypothesis applicable to microalgae? J. Phycol. 46:1–12. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Carbon-13 enrichment in benthic compared to planktonic algae: foodweb implications. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 124:307–312.
- 1985. In situ uptake kinetics of ammonium and phosphate and chemical composition of the red seaweed Gracilaria tikvahiae. J. Phycol. 21:448–453. , and .
- 1982. A 13C/12C comparison of food webs in Caribbean seagrass meadows and coral reefs. Aquat. Bot. 14:389–398. , , , and .
- 1985. The role of nitrogen status in regulating transient ammonium uptake and nitrogen storage by macroalgae. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 92:283–301.
- 1995. Vertical mixing and coral death in the Red Sea following the eruption of Mount Pinatubo. Nature 377:507–510. , , and .
- 1966. Tissue analysis as a measure of nutrient availability for the growth of angiosperm aquatic plants. Limnol. Oceanogr. 11:529–537. , and .
- 1989. Phosphorus-dependent growth kinetics of 11 species of freshwater algae. Limnol. Oceanogr. 34:341–348.
- 2009. N: P ratios influence litter decomposition and colonization by fungi and bacteria in microcosms. Funct. Ecol. 23:211–219. , and .
- 1976. Influence of sewage on nitrogen fixation and nitrogen flux from coral reefs in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 31:942–948. , and .
- 2000. δ15 N and δ13 C of coral tissue show significant inter-reef variation. Coral Reefs 19:189–193. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Catastrophes, phase shifts, and large-scale degradation of a Caribbean coral reef. Science 265:1547–1551.
- 2005. Nuclear DNA content estimates in multicellular green, red and brown algae: phylogenetic considerations. Ann. Bot. 95:7–44.
- 1962. The relation of ribosome content to the rate of enzyme synthesis in Aerobacter aerogenes. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 55:139. , and .
- 1992. Nutrient availability to marine macroalgae in siliciclastic versus carbonate-rich coastal waters. Estuaries Coasts 15:75–82. , , and .
- 2003. Diffusive boundary layers and photosynthesis of the epilithic algal community of coral reefs. Mar. Biol. 142:1073–1082. , , and .
- 1982. Microscale patchiness of nutrients in plankton communities. Science 216:729–730. , and .
- 1991. Comparisons of N- and P-limited productivity between high granitic islands versus low carbonate atolls in the Seychelles Archipelago: a test of the relative-dominance paradigm. Coral Reefs 10:199–209. , , and .
- 2010. The effects of nitrogen and phosphorus enrichment on algal community development: artificial mini-reefs on the Belize Barrier Reef sedimentary lagoon. Harmful Algae 9:255–263. , , and .
- 1994. Seaweed ecology and physiology. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 2007. Testing the growth rate vs. geochemical hypothesis for latitudinal variation in plant nutrients. Ecol. Lett. 10:1154–1163. , , , , and .
- 1989. Phosphorus-31 and Nitrogen- 14 NMR studies of the uptake of phosphorus and nitrogen compounds in the marine macroalgae Ulva lactuca. Plant Physiol. 89:1380–1387. , , , and .
- 1975. Nitrogen fixation on a coral reef. Phycologia 14:87–92. , and .
- 1971. The pelagic ecosystem of the Caribbean Sea. Pp. 483–498 in Symposium on investigation and resources of the Caribbean sea and adjacent regions. UNESCO, Paris, SC. 70 D.71 AS.
- 2009. N:P stoichiometry and protein:RNA ratios in vascular plants: an evaluation of the growth-rate hypothesis. Ecol. Lett. 12:765–771. , and .
- 2007. Effect of nitrogen, phosphorous, and their interaction on coral reef algal succession in Glover's Reef, Belize. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 54:1947–1957. , , and .
- 1996. Effects of herbivores and water quality on the distribution of Sargassum on the central Great Barrier Reef: cross-shelf transplants. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 139:179–192.
- 1999. Macroalgae, nutrients and phase shifts on coral reefs: scientific issues and management consequences for the Great Barrier Reef. Coral Reefs 18:357–367.
- 1994. Variable rates of phosphate uptake by shallow marine carbonate sediments: mechanisms and ecological significance. Biogeochemistry 25:127–146. , , and .
- 2002. Mangrove isotopic (δ15N and δ13C) fractionation across a nitrogen vs. phosphorus limitation gradient. Ecology 83:1065–1075. , , , and .
- 1965. The measurement of total phosphorus in seawater based on the liberation of organically bound fractions by persulfate oxidation. Limnol. Oceanogr. 10:280–282. , and .
- 1994. Kinetics of luxury uptake of phosphate by algae-dominated benthic communities. Hydrobiologia 275/276:349–358. , and .
- 1977. Nitrogen fixation by blue-green algal communities in the intertidal zone of the lagoon of Aldabra Atoll. Oecologia 27:275–283. , and .
- 2002. Macroalgal growth in nutrient-enriched estuaries: a biogeochemical and evolutionary perspective. Water Air Soil Pollut. 3:7–26. , and .
- 1958. The biological control of chemical factors in the environment. Am. Sci. 46:1–18.
- 2010. Relationships among RNA:DNA ratio, growth and elemental stoichiometry in mangrove trees. Funct. Ecol. 24:1064–1072. , , , and .
- 2011. The elemental stoichiometry of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems and its relationships with organismic lifestyle and ecosystem structure and function: a review and perspectives. Biogeochemistry. DOI: 10.1007/s10533-011-9640-9. , , and .
- 1998. Nutrient-limited growth of the coral reef macroalga Sargassum baccularia and experimental growth enhancement by nutrient addition in continuous flow culture. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 164:199–211. , and .
- 1994. Nitrogen fixation (acetylene reduction) on a coral reef. Coral Reefs 13:171–174. , , , and .
- 2007. Kinetics of uptake of phosphates and nitrates by marine multicellular algae Gelidium latifolium (Grev.) Born. et Thur. Biol. Bull. 34:156–162. , and .
- 1981. Kaneohe Bay sewage diversion experiment: perspectives on ecosystem responses to nutritional perturbation. Pac. Sci. 35:279–395. , , , , and .
- 1994. Algal nutrient limitation and the nutrition of aquatic herbivores. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 25:1–29. , and .
- 2002. Nutrient enrichment on coral reefs: is it a major cause of coral reef decline? Estuaries 25:743–766.
- Team RDC. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1987. Inorganic and organic phosphate measurements in the nanomolar range. Anal. Biochem. 161:45–48. , and .
- 1998. RNA:DNA ratios as indicators of nutritional condition in the copepod Calanus finmarchicus. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 162:173–181. , , and .
- 2009. Flood water quality and marine sediment and nutrient loads from the Tully and Murray catchments in north Queensland, Australia. Mar. Freshw. Res. 60:1123–1131. , , , , , and .
- 1980. Effect of boundary layer transport on the fixation of carbon by the giant kelp Macrocystis pyrifera. Mar. Biol. 56:103–110.