This Project was funded by Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada, the National Geographic Society Committee for Research and Exploration, and the New Hampshire Agriculture Experiment Station (NHAES).
Population structure of the butternut canker fungus, Ophiognomonia clavigignenti-juglandacearum, in North American forests
Version of Record online: 24 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 9, pages 2114–2127, September 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(9): 2114–2127
- Issue online: 11 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 24 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 18 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 26 APR 2012
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada
- National Geographic Society Committee for Research and Exploration
- New Hampshire Agriculture Experiment Station (NHAES)
- 2001. Indices of multilocus linkage disequilibrium. Mol. Ecol. Notes 1:101–102. , and .
- 1987. Chestnut Blight: the classical problem of an introduced pathogen. Mycologia 79:23–27.
- 2007. Standardizing methods to address clonality in population studies. Mol. Ecol. 16:5115–5139. , , , and .
- 2006. SNAP: combine and map modules for multilocus population genetic analysis. Bioinformatics 22:1399–1401. , , and .
- 2010. Development of a molecular diagnostic assay for detection of the butternut canker pathogen Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum. Plant Dis. 94:952–958. , and .
- 2011. Reclassification of the butternut canker fungus, Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum, into the genus Ophiognomonia. Fungal Biol. 115:70–79. , and .
- 2011a. Discovery of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the uncharacterized genome of the Ascomycete Ophiognomonia clavigignenti-juglandacearum from 454 sequence data. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 11:693–702. , , , , and .
- 2011b. Population structure of Ophiognomonia clavigignenti-juglandacearum reveals multiple introductions of the butternut canker fungus into North America. Phytopathology 101:S20. , , and .
- 2000. TCS: a computer program to estimate gene genealogies. Mol. Ecol. 9:1657–1659. , , and .
- 2005. Origins of host-specific populations of the blast pathogen Magnoporthe oryzae in crop domestication with subsequent expansion of pandemic clones on rice and weeds of rice. Genetics 170:613–630. , , , , and .
- 1992. First report of butternut canker in Ontario. Plant Dis. 76:972. , , and .
- 2007. The fungal dimension of biological invasions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22:472–480. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinf. Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 1999. Genetic evidence that butternut canker was recently introduced into North America. Can. J. Bot. 77:783–785. , , , and .
- 1919. Some diseases of trees in greater New York. Mycologia 11:111–124.
- 1923. The Melanconis disease of the butternut (Juglans cinerea L.). Phytopathology 13:411–434.
- 2002. Potential beetle vectors of Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum on butternut. Plant Dis. 86:521–527. , and .
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Window 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp. Ser. 41:95–98.
- 1998. First report of butternut canker caused by Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum in New Brunswick, Canada. Plant Dis. 82:1282. , , and .
- 2010. Range-wide distribution of genetic diversity in the North Americn tree Juglans cinerea: a product of range shifts, not ecological marginaility or recent population decline. Mol. Ecol. 19:4876–4891. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. A new statistic for detecting genetic differntiation. Genetics 155:2011–2014.
- 1985. Statistical properties of the number of recombination events in the history of a sample of DNA sequences. Genetics 111:147–164. , and .
- 1992. A statistical test for detecting geographic subdivision. Mol. Biol. Evol. 9:138–151. , , and .
- 1996. Distribution and detection of Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum in Quebec. Phytoprotection 77:75–78. , and .
- 2008. Adegenet: a R package for the multivariate analysis of genetic markers. Bioinfomatics 24:1403–1405.
- 1998. Insects associated with butternut and butternut canker in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The Great Lakes Entomol. 31:97–108. , and .
- 1983. The neutral theory of molecular evolution. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge.
- 2003. Exotic plant species of the St. Lawrence River wetlands: a spatial and historical analysis. J. Biogeogr. 30:537–549. , , , and .
- 2011. Screening butternut and butternut hybrids for resistance to butternut canker. Proceedings of the 17th Central Hardwood Forest Conference, Lexington, KY, 460–474. , , and .
- 1979. Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum: an undescribed species causing canker on butternut. Mycologia 71:641–646. , , and .
- 2003. COSEWIC status report on the butternut Juglans cinerea in Canada in COSEWIC assessment and status report on the butternut Juglans cinerea in Canada. Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, Ottawa, 1–32 pp. , , , , , and .
- 1984. Butternut canker: host range, disease resistance, seedling-disease reactions, and seed-borne transmission. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI. 145p.
- 1997. Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum on heartnut (Juglans ailantifolia var. cordiformis). Plant Dis. 81:1461.
- 2007. Natural and experimental host range of Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum. Plant Dis. 91:581–584. , and .
- 2008. Response of butternut selections to inoculation with Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum. Plant Dis. 92:1336–1338. , and .
- 2004. Spread of butternut canker in North America, host range, evidence of resistance within butternut populations and conservation genetics. General Technical Report NC-243, 114 120. , and .
- 1997. First report of Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum on black walnut. Plant Dis. 81:830. , , and .
- 2004. The evolutionary ecology of novel plant-pathogen interactions. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 35:675–700. , and .
- 2005. Update on the environmental and economic costs associated with alien-invasive species in the United States. Ecol. Econ. 52:273–288. , , and .
- 2005. SNAP: workbench management tool for evolutionary population genetic analysis. Bioinformatics 21:402–404. , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1971. Forest pest conditions in Wisconsin. Pp. 26–28. in Annual Report 1971. Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Madison, WI, 53 p. (comp. ed.).
- 2003. DnaSP, DNA polymorphism analyses by the coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics 19:2496–2497. , , , and .
- 2001. The population biology of invasive species. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 32:305–332. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Linkage disequilibrium in growing and stable populations. Genetics 137:331–336.
- 2008. Leaf-inhabiting genera of the Gnomoniaceae, Diapothathales. Stud. Mycol. 62:1–79. , , , , and .
- 2004. Viability of Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum conidia on exoskeletons of three coleopteran species. Plant Dis. 88:1085–1091. , , and .
- 2008. The origins of plant pathogens in agro-ecosystems. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 46:75–100. , and .
- 2011. Community composition of endophytic fungi in Acer truncatum and their role in decomposition. Fungal Diversity 47:85–95. , , and .
- 1999. The evolution of asexual fungi: reproduction, speciation, and classification. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 37:197–246. , , and .
- 1994. Clustal W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalities and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22:4673–4680. , , and .
- 2011. Trade-associated pathways of alien forest insect entries in Canada. Biol. Invasions 14:797–812. , , , and .
- 2008. Rapid speciation following recent host shifts in the plant pathogenic fungus Rhyncosporium. Evolution, 62:1418–1436. , , and .