Funded by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (SFRH/BD/21487/2005), cofunded by POCI 2010 and FSE.
Effects of CO 2 enrichment on photosynthesis, growth, and nitrogen metabolism of the seagrass Zostera noltii
Version of Record online: 19 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 10, pages 2625–2635, October 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(10): 2620–2630
- Issue online: 11 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 19 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 19 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAY 2012
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia. Grant Number: SFRH/BD/21487/2005
- POCI 2010
Vol. 5, Issue 20, 4734, Version of Record online: 26 OCT 2015
- 2004. The maximum nitrate reductase activity of the seagrass Zostera noltii (Hornem.) varies along its vertical distribution. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 307:127–135. , , and .
- 2010. Inorganic nitrogen uptake and related enzymatic activity in the seagrass Zostera noltii . Mar. Ecol. 31:539–545. , , and .
- 1991. Respiration in a future, higher-CO2 world. Plant Cell Environ. 14:13–20.
- 1999. Biochemical responses and photosynthetic performance of Gracilaria sp. (Rodophyta) from Cádiz, Spain, cultured under different inorganic carbon and nitrogen levels. Eur. J. Phycol. 34:497–504. , , and .
- 1996. Photosynthesis of marine macroalgae and seagrasses in globally changing CO2 environments. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 141:199–204. , and .
- 2002. Inorganic carbon utilization in marine angiosperms (seagrasses). Funct. Plant Biol. 29:349–354. , , , and .
- 2008. Impacts of urban wastewater discharges on seagrass meadows (Zostera noltii). Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 78:1–13. , , , and .
- 2003. Oceanography: anthropogenic carbon and ocean pH. Nature 425:365. , and .
- 1991. Determination of nitrate reductase activity in Ulva rigida C. Agardh by the in situ method. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 146:181–191. , and .
- 2001. Reduced photorespiration and increased energy-use efficiency in young CO2-enriched sorghum leaves. New Phytol. 150:275–284. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Seagrass nutrient content. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 67:201–207.
- 1999. Seagrass biomass and production: a reassessment. Aquat. Bot. 65:159–164. , and .
- 2004. Impact of anthropogenic CO2 on the CaCO3 system in the oceans. Science 305:362–366. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Impact of elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide on nitrate reductase transcription and activity in leaves and roots of Plantago major . Physiol. Plant. 100:940–948. , , and .
- 1998. C4 pathway. Pp. 123–135 in A. S. Raghavendra , ed. Photosynthesis, a comprehensive treatise. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 1991. Enhanced growth of the red alga Porphyra yezoensis Ueda in high CO2concentrations. J. Appl. Phycol. 3:355–362. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Influence of enhanced CO2 on growth and photosynthesis of the red algae Gracilaria sp. and G. chilensis . J. Appl. Phycol. 5:563–571. , , , and .
- 2000. Sodium-dependent nitrate transport at the plasma membrane of leaf cells of the marine higher plant Zostera marina L. Plant Physiol. 122:879–885. , , , , and .
- 1998. Effect of calcium carbonate saturation of seawater on coral calcification. Glob. Planet. Change 18:37–46. , , , , and .
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yields of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 990:87–92. , , and .
- 2001. Non-photosynthetic enhancement of growth by high CO2 level in the nitrophilic seaweed Ulva rigida C. Agardh (Chlorophyta). Planta 213:64–70. , , and .
- 2008. Ocean acidification and its potential effects on marine ecosystems. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1134:320–342. , and .
- 2008. Volcanic carbon dioxide vents show ecosystem effects of ocean acidification. Nature 454:96–99. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2000. Seagrass ecology. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- 2001. Inorganic carbon sources for seagrass photosynthesis: an experimental evaluation of bicarbonate use in species inhabiting temperate waters. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 265:203–217. , , , , and .
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2007. Climate change 2007 synthesis report. Cambridge Univ. Press, New York.
- 1976. Mathematical formulation of the relationship between photosynthesis and light for phytoplankton. Limnol. Oceanogr. 21:540–547. , and .
- 2010. Effects of CO2 enrichment on photosynthesis, growth and biochemical composition of seagrass Thalassia hemprichii (Ehrenb.) Aschers. J. Integr. Plant Biol. 52:904–913. , , and .
- 2010. Effects of elevated CO2 on growth and nutrient uptake of Eichhornia crassipe under four different nutrient levels. Water Air Soil Pollut. 212:387–394. , , , and .
- 1996.Effects of high CO2 treatment on nitrate and ammonium uptake by Ulva lactuca grown in different nutrient regimes. Pp. 179–189 in F. L. Figueroa , C. Jiménez , J. L. Pérez- Llorens , and F. X. Niell , eds. Underwater light and algal photobiology. Sci. Mar. 60(Suppl. 1). , , and .
- 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants. 2nd ed. Academic Press Limited, Lond.
- 1999. Effects of different levels of CO2 on photosynthesis and cell components of the red alga Porphyra leucosticta . J. Appl. Phycol. 11:455–461. , , , , and .
- 2003. Use of light and inorganic carbon acquisition by two morphotypes of Zostera noltii Hornem. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 297:71–84. , , , and .
- 2007. Eelgrass (Zostera marina L.) response to CO2 enrichment: possible impacts of climate change and potential for remediation of coastal habitats. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 344:1–13. , and .
- 1984. A manual of chemical and biological methods for seawater analysis. Pergamon Press, Oxford, U.K. , , and .
- 1997. CO2 sys.xls (version 1.0). A calculator for the CO2 system in seawater for Microsoft Excel/VBA. Washington State Department of Ecology, Olympia, WA. , , and .
- 2000. Morphological and physiological differences between two morphotypes of Zostera noltii Hornem. from the south-western Iberian Peninsula. Helgol. Mar. Res. 54:80–86. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Ecosystem effects of ocean acidification in times of ocean warming: a physiologist's view. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 373:203–217.
- 2011. Effects of ocean acidification on macroalgal communities. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 400:278–287. , , and .
- 2007. Enhanced biological carbon consumption in a high CO2 ocean. Nature 450:545–548. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2002. The absence of molybdenum cofactor sulfuration is the primary cause of the flacca phenotype in tomato plants. Plant J. 31:305–317. , , and .
- 2004. Ecosystem metabolism and carbon fluxes of a tidally-dominated coastal lagoon. Estuaries 27:977–985. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Seagrass photosynthesis controls rates of calcification and photosynthesis of calcareous macroalgae in a tropical seagrass meadow. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 382:41–47. , , and .
- 2003. Daily variation patterns in seagrass photosynthesis along a vertical gradient. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 257:37–44. , and .
- 2005. Submerged versus air-exposed intertidal macrophyte productivity: from physiological to community-level assessments. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 317:87–95. , , , and .
- 1999. The interaction between elevated carbon dioxide and nitrogen nutrition: the physiological and molecular background. Plant Cell Environ. 22:583–621. , and .
- 2002. Plant physiology. 3rd ed. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Publishers, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 1996. CO2-enrichment effect on eelgrass (Zostera marina L.) and bull kelp (Nereocystis luetkeana (MERT.) P. & R.). Water Air Soil Pollut. 88:383–391.
- 2007. Carbon and nitrogen metabolism in the seagrass, Zostera marina L.: environmental control of enzymes involved in carbon allocation and nitrogen assimilation. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 350:216–233. , and .
- 1992. Transport of nitrate and ammonium through plant membranes. Pp. 121–137 in K. Mengel and D. J. Pilbeam , eds. Nitrogen metabolism of plants. Clarendon Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1990. Root-zone acidity affects relative uptake of nitrate and ammonium from mixed nitrogen sources. J. Plant Nutr. 13:95–116. , , , and .
- 2010. Effects of elevated CO2 and phosphorus supply on growth, photosynthesis and nutrient uptake in the marine macroalga Gracilaria lemaneiformis (Rodophyta). Bot. Mar. 53:123–129. , , and .
- 1990. Duration of CO2 enrichment influences growth, yield, and gas exchange of two tomato species. J. Am. Soc. Hortic. Sci. 115:52–57. , , , and .
- 1974. Methods for the study of the growth and production of the turtlegrass Thalassia testudinum König. Aquaculture 4:139–143.
- 1995. Sucrose partitioning in Zostera marina L. in relation to photosynthesis and the daily light-dark cycle. Plant Physiol. 108:1665–1671. , , and .
- 1997. Impacts of CO2 enrichment on productivity and light requirements of eelgrass. Plant Physiol. 115:599–607. , , , and .
- 2005. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on growth, photosynthesis and nitrogen metabolism in the economic brown seaweed Hizikiafusiforme (Sargassaceae, Phaeophyta). Aquaculture 250:726–735.