This project was funded by the Australian Research Council Discovery Project (DP0452826), the Australian Government Department of Environment and Heritage (RFT 43/2004), the National Institutes of Health (P20RR16448) and the National Science Foundation (EF-0723871).
Temperature alters reproductive life history patterns in Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, a lethal pathogen associated with the global loss of amphibians
Article first published online: 4 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 9, pages 2241–2249, September 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(9): 2241–2249
- Issue published online: 11 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 4 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 20 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 MAY 2012
- the Australian Research Council Discovery Project. Grant Number: DP0452826
- the Australian Government Department of Environment and Heritage. Grant Number: RFT 43.2004
- the National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: P20RR16448
- the National Science Foundation. Grant Number: EF-0723871
- 2007. Global warming and amphibian losses. Nature 447:E3. , , and .
- 2006. Seasonality and the dynamics of infectious diseases. Ecol. Lett. 9:467–484. , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Chytridiomycosis causes amphibian mortality associated with population declines in the rain forests of Australia and Central America. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 95:9031–9036. , , , et al.
- 2004. Effect of season and temperature on mortality in amphibians due to chytridiomycosis. Aust. Vet. J. 82:434–439. , , , et al.
- 2005. Life cycle stages of the amphibian chytrid Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 68:51–63. , , , and .
- 2007. Climate change and outbreaks of amphibian chytridiomycosis in a montane area of Central Spain; is there a link? Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci 274:253. , , , , and .
- 2003. Cryo-archiving of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis and other chytridiomycetes. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 56:59–64. , , , et al.
- 2002. Chytridiomycosis in native Arizona frogs. J. Wildl. Dis. 38:206–212. , , , , and .
- 2010. Enzootic and epizootic dynamics of the chytrid fungal pathogen of amphibians. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 107:9695–9700. , , and .
- 2011. Elevated temperature as a treatment for Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis infection in captive frogs. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 94:235–238. , and .
- 2007. Models for Ecological Data. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2010. Epidemic disease decimates amphibian abundance, species diversity, and evolutionary history in the highlands of central Panama. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 107:13777–13782. , , and .
- 2011. Multiple emergences of genetically diverse amphibian-infecting chytrids include a globalized hypervirulent recombinant lineage. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 108:18732–18736. , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Climate warming and disease risks for terrestrial and marine biota. Science 296:2158–2162. , , , et al.
- 2009. Rapid global expansion of the fungal disease chytridiomycosis into declining and health amphibian populations. Public Library of Science Pathogens 5:1–10. , , , et al.
- 2011. Parameter inference for an individual based model of chytridiomycosis in frogs. J. Theor. Biol. 277:90–98. , and .
- 2011. Nowhere to hide: impact of a temperature-sensitive amphibian pathogen along an elevation gradient in the temperate zone. Ecosphere 2:1–26. , , , and .
- 2009. The ecology of climate change and infectious diseases. Ecology 90:888–900.
- 2006. Emerging infectious disease and the loss of biodiversity in a Neotropical amphibian community. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 103:3165–3170. , , , et al.
- 2008. Riding the wave: reconciling the roles of disease and climate change in amphibian declines. Public Library of Science Biology 6:e72. , , , and .
- 1999. Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis gen et sp nov, a chytrid pathogenic to amphibians. Mycologia 91:219–227. , , and .
- 2009. Impact and dynamics of disease in species threatened by the amphibian chytrid fungus, Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis. Conserv. Biol. 23:1242–1252. , , , and .
- 2004. Physiology of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, a chytrid pathogen of amphibians. Mycologia 96:9–15. , , and .
- 2006. Widespread amphibian extinctions from epidemic disease driven by global warming. Nature 439:161–167. , , , et al.
- 2006. Emerging infectious disease as a proximate cause of amphibian mass mortality. Ecology 87:1671–1683. , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Evaluating the links between climate, disease spread, and amphibian declines. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 105:17436–17441. , , , , and .
- 2008. Decline and extirpation of an endangered Panamanian stream frog population (Craugastor punctariolus) due to an outbreak of chytridiomycosis. Biol. Conserv. 141:1636–1647. , , and .
- 2006. The decline of the Sharp-snouted day frog (Taudactylus acutirostris): the first documented case of extinction by infection in a free-ranging wildlife species? EcoHealth 3:35–40. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Spread of chytridiomycosis has caused the rapid global decline and extinction of frogs. EcoHealth 4:125–134. , , , et al.
- 2011. Phenotypic profiling of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, a lethal pathogen of amphibians. Fungal Ecology 4:196–200.
- 2009. Pathogenesis of chytridiomycosis, a cause of catastrophic amphibian declines. Science 326:582–585. , , , et al.
- 2010. Dynamics of an emerging disease drive large-scale amphibian population extinctions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 107:9689–9694. , , , and .
- 2005. Ecology of chytridiomycosis in rainforest stream frog assemblages of tropical Queensland. Conserv. Biol. 19:1449–1459. , and .
- 2003. Emerging disease of amphibians cured by elevated body temperature. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 55:65–67. , , and .
- 2008. Life-history trade-offs influence disease in changing climates: strategies of an amphibian pathogen. Ecology 89:1627–1639. , , , , and .
- 1981. Temperature effects of ectotherm immune responses. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 5:117–122. , and .
- 1992. Seasonal variations in the immune system of lower vertebrates. Immunol. Today 13:142–147. , , and .