This work was supported by the EU project COCONET and the Spanish Secretaría General del Mar by grant to the Instituto Español de Oceanografía (IEO) for the ERICOL project (2009–2012).
Detecting immigrants in a highly genetically homogeneous spiny lobster population (Palinurus elephas) in the northwest Mediterranean Sea
Version of Record online: 28 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 10, pages 2387–2396, October 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(10): 2387–2396
- Issue online: 11 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 28 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 8 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 FEB 2012
- Spanish Secretaría General del Mar
- 2010. Considering spatial and temporal scale in landscape-genetic studies of gene flow. Mol. Ecol. 19:3565–3575. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Population structure, demographic history, and selective processes: contrasting evidences from mitochondrial and nuclear markers in the European spiny lobster Palinurus elephas (Fabricius, 1787). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 56:1040–1050. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. A bio-oceanographic filter to larval dispersal in a reef-building coral. Limnol. Oceanogr. 51:1969–1981. , , and .
- 2010. Temporal genetic variability in the Mediterranean common sea urchin Paracentrotuslividus. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 408:149–159. , and .
- 2009. Microsatellite markers reveal shallow genetic differentiation between cohorts of the common sea urchin Paracentrotuslividus (Lamarck) in northwest Mediterranean. Mol. Ecol. 18:3036–3049. , , and .
- 2012. Time and space: genetic structure of the cohorts of the common sea urchin Paracentrotuslividus in Western Mediterranean. Mar. Biol. 159:187–197. , , , , and .
- 2007. High self recruitment levels in a Mediterranean littoral fish population revealed by microsatellite markers. Mar. Biol. 151:719–727. , , and .
- 2011. Population genetic structure and connectivity of the harmful dinoflagellate Alexandriumminutum in the Mediterranean Sea. Proc. R. Soc. B. Available at http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org. Accessed May 19, 2011. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Non-parametric multivariate analyses of changes in community structure. Aust. J. Ecol. 18:117–143.
- 2006. PRIMER v6: user manual/tutorial. PRIMER-E, Plymouth, U.K.. , and .
- 1999. New methods employing multilocus genotypes to select or exclude populations as origins of individuals. Genetics 153:1989–2000. , , , , and .
- 2007. Population connectivity in marine systems: an overview. Oceanography 20:14–21. , , , , and .
- 2010. Ecology of juveniles of European spiny lobster Palinurus elephas in North-western Mediterranean. Ph.D. diss., University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2001. Settlement and juvenile habitat of the European spiny lobster Palinurus elephas (Crustacea, Decapoda, Palinuridae) in the western Mediterranean Sea. Sci. Mar. 65:347–356. , , , and .
- 2011. Structure harvester v0.6.1. Available at http://taylor0.biology.ucla.edu/structureHarvester/. Accessed May 2011.
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software structure: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:564–567. , and .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data, linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 2007. Evaluating performance of multilocus Bayesian method for the estimation of migration rates. Mol. Ecol. 16:1149–1166. , , and .
- 2009. The influence of oceanographic fronts and early-life-history traits on connectivity among littoral fish species. PNAS 106:1473–1478. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Review of the biology, ecology and fisheries of Palinurus spp. species of European waters, Palinurus elephas (Fabricius, 1787) and Palinurus mauritanicus(Gruvel, 1911). Cah. Biol. Mar. 46:127–142. , and .
- 2003. Dispersal potential of marine invertebrates in diverse habitats. Ecol. Appl. 13:108–116. , , and .
- 2007. Molecular phylogeny of the spiny lobster genus Palinurus (Decapoda, Palinuridae) with hypotheses on speciation in the NE Atlantic/Mediterranean and SW Indian Ocean. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 45:102–110. , , , , and .
- 2009. Statistical methods in spatial genetics. Mol. Ecol. 18:4734–4756. , , , and .
- 2009. Gene flow and isolation among populations of marine animals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 40:291–310.
- 2006. Recent advances in assessing gene flow between diverging populations and species. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 16:592–596.
- 2009. Genetics in geographically structured populations: defining, estimating and interpreting FST. Nat. Rev. Genet. 10:639–650. , and .
- 2009. Larval retention and connectivity among populations of corals and reef fishes: history, advances and challenges. Coral Reefs 28:307–325. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. From global to local genetic structuring in the red gorgonian Paramuriceaclavata: the interplay between oceanographic conditions and limited larval dispersal. Mar. Ecol. 20:3291–3305. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Population genomics of marine fishes: identifying adaptive variation in space and time. Mol. Ecol. 18:3128–3150. , , , and .
- 2008. Bayesian approaches in evolutionary quantitative genetics. J. Evol. Biol. 21:949–957. , , , , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic assignment methods for the direct, real-time estimation of migration rate: a simulation-based exploration of accuracy and power. Mol. Ecol. 13:55–65. , , , and .
- 2008. Isolation and characterization of microsatellite loci in Palinurus elephas. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:1477–1479. , and .
- 2008. Phylogeography of the European spiny lobster (Palinurus elephas): influence of current oceanographical features and historical processes. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 48:708–717. , , , , and .
- 2009. Rapid radiation in spiny lobsters (Palinurus spp.) as revealed by classic and ABC methods using mtDNA and microsatellite data. BMC Evol. Biol. 9:263. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Effect of oceanographic barriers and overfishing on the population genetic structure of the European spiny lobster (Palinurus elephas). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 104:407–418. , , , , and .
- 2007. Pillars of Hercules: is the Atlantic-Mediterranean transition a phylogeographical break? Mol. Ecol. 16:4426–4444. , , and .
- 2006. GenAlEx 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2004. GeneClass2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. J. Hered. 95:536–539. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Temporal change in the genetic structure between and within cohorts of a marine fish, Diplodussargus, induced by a large variance in individual reproductive success. Mol. Ecol. 11:1515–1524. , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2006. Genetic patchiness among recruits in the European eel Anguilla anguilla. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 307:209–217. , , and .
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 94:9197–9221. , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenisms. J. Hered. 86:248–249. , and .
- 2009. Estimating connectivity in marine populations, an empirical evaluation of assignment tests and parentage analysis under different gene flow scenarios. Mol. Ecol. 18:1765–1776. , , , and .
- 1996. Review of hydrographic environmental factors that may influence anchovy habitats in northwestern Mediterranean. Sci. Mar. 60:21–32.
- 2005. Critical science gaps impede use of no-take fishery reserves. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:74–80. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Matching genetics with oceanography: directional gene flow in Mediterranean fish species. Mol. Ecol. 20:5167–5181. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Overview of techniques to account for confounding due to population stratification and cryptic relatedness in genomic data association analyses. Heredity 106:511–519.
- 1999. Spatial autocorrelation analysis of individual multiallele and multilocus genetic structure. Heredity 82:561–573. , and .
- 1990. Why life histories evolve differently in the Sea. Am. Zool. 30:197–207.
- 2002. Evidence of self-recruitment in demersal marine populations. Bull. Mar. Sci. 70:251–271. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Hypervariability of simple sequences as a general source for polymorphic DNA markers. Nucleic Acids Res. 17:6463–6471.
- 1998. Larval supply and recruitment of benthic invertebrates, do larvae always disperse as much as we believe? Hydrobiologia 375/376:1–21.
- 1998. Separating the wheat from the chaff: patterns of genetic differentiation in high gene flow species. J. Hered. 89:438–450. .
- 2006. What is a population? An empirical evaluation of some genetic methods for identifying the number of gene pools and their degree of connectivity. Mol. Ecol. 15:1419–1439. , and .
- 1990. Effects of recruitment on genetic patchiness in the urchin Echinometramathaei in western Australia. Mar. Biol. 105:145–151. , , and .
- 1951. The genetical structure of populations. Ann. eugen. 15:323–354. .
- 2009. Nonmetric multidimensional scaling corrects for population structure in association mapping with different sample types. Genetics 182:875–888. , and .