Does elevated pCO2 affect reef octocorals?
Article first published online: 26 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 465–473, March 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(3): 465–473
- Issue published online: 11 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 26 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 14 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUN 2012
- Israel Cohen Chair in Environmental Zoology
- Israel Science Foundation
- 2011. Microstructure of octocoral sclerites for diagnosis of taxonomic features. Mar. Biodivers. 42:172–177. , and .
- 2008. Effect of aragonite saturation state on settlement and post-settlement growth of Porites astreoides larvae. Coral Reefs 27:485–490. , , and .
- 2004. Biomineralisation in reef-building corals: from molecular mechanisms to environmental control. C. R. Palevol 3:453–467. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2008. Ocean acidification causes bleaching and productivity loss in coral reef builders. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 105:17442–17446. , , , , and .
- 2011. Global declines in oceanic nitrification rates as a consequence of ocean acidification. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 108:208–213. , , , , , and , et al.
- 1981. Competition for space among coral-reef sessile organisms at Eilat, Red Sea. Bull. Mar. Sci. 31:514–522. , and .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72:248–254.
- 2003. Anthropogenic carbon and ocean pH. The coming centuries may see more ocean acidification than the past 300 million years. Nature 425:365. , and .
- 2005. Ocean model predictions of chemistry changes from carbon dioxide emissions to the atmosphere and ocean. J. Geophys. Res. 110:1–12. , and .
- 1977. Effects of Iranian crude oil on the Red Sea octocoral Heteroxenia fuscescens. Environ. Pollut. 12:173–185. , , and .
- 2010. The effect of ocean acidification on symbiont photorespiration and productivity in Acropora formosa. Glob. Change Biol. 16:851–863. , , , , and .
- 2008. Ocean acidification: the other CO2 problem. Ann. Rev. Mar. Sci. 1:169–192. , , , and .
- 2001. Soft corals and sea fans: a comprehensive guide to the tropical shallow water genera of the central-west Pacific, the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea. Australian Institute of Marine Science, Townsville, Australia and New Litho, Melbourne, Australia , and .
- 2008. Impacts of ocean acidification on marine fauna and ecosystem processes. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 65:414–432. , , , and .
- 2007. Scleractinian coral species survive and recover from decalcification. Science 315:1181. , and .
- IPCC, Climate Change. 2007. The physical science basis. Pp. in S. Solomon, , , , , , , and , et al., eds. Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. and New York.
- 1975. New spectrophotometric equations for determining chlorophylls A, B, C1 and C2 in higher plants, algae and natural phytoplankton. Biochem. Physiol. Pflanz. 167:191–194. , and .
- 2011. Sclerite calcification and reef-building in the fleshy octocoral genus Sinularia (Octocorallia: Alcyonacea). Coral Reefs 30:925–933. , , , , and .
- 2008. Ocean acidification and calcifying reef organisms: a mesocosm investigation. Coral Reefs 27:473–483. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Coral reefs and changing seawater carbonate chemistry, coral reefs and climate change: science and management. Coral Reefs and Climate Change: Science and Management Coastal and Estuarine Studies 61:73–110. , and .
- 2006. Impacts of ocean acidification on coral reefs and other marine calcifiers: a guide for future research. Report of a workshop, St Petersburg, FL, sponsored by NSF, NOAA and the US Geological Survey. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Physiological and isotopic responses of scleractinian corals to ocean acidification. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 74:4988–5001. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Meta-analysis reveals negative yet variable effects of ocean acidification on marine organisms. Ecol. Lett. 13:1419–1434. , , , and .
- 2011. Divergent ecosystem responses within a benthic marine community to ocean acidification. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 108:14515–14520. , , , and .
- 2004. Effects of increased atmospheric CO2 on sea urchin early development. Mar. Ecol. Press Ser. 274:161–169. , and .
- 2005. Effect of elevated pCO2 on photosynthesis and calcification of corals and interactions with seasonal change in temperature/irradiance and nutrient enrichment. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans 110:C09S7. , and .
- 2006. Species-specific responses of calcifying algae to changing seawater carbonate chemistry. Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst. 7:Q09006. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Program Developed for CO2 System Calculations. ORNL/CDIAC-105 (Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, U.S. Department of Energy, Oak Ridge, TN). , and .
- 2008. Coral calcification responds to seawater acidification: a working hypothesis towards a physiological mechanism. Coral Reefs 27:491–499. , , , and .
- 2009. Reduced calcification in modern Southern Ocean planktonic foraminifera. Nat. Geosci. 2:276–280. , , , and .
- 2005. Anthropogenic ocean acidification over the twenty-first century and its impact on calcifying organisms. Nature 437:681–686. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Extracellular acid–base regulation during short-term hypercapnia is effective in a shallow-water crab, but ineffective in a deep-sea crab. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 334:1–9. , and .
- 2005. Ocean acidification due to increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide. The royal society policy document. Clyvedon Press, Cardiff, U.K. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Xeniidae (Coelenterate: Octocorallia) of the Red Sea, with descriptions of six new species of Xenia. Fauna of Saudi Arabia 16:5–62.
- 2003. Interacting effects of CO2 partial pressure and temperature on photosynthesis and calcification in a scleractinian coral. Glob. Change Biol. 9:1660–1668. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Acid ocean cover up. Nat. Clim. Chang. 1:294–295.
- 2009. Marine calcifiers exhibit mixed responses to CO2-induced ocean acidification. Geology 37:1131–1134. , , and .
- 2010. Effects of ocean acidification and high temperatures on the bryozoan Myriapora truncata at natural CO2 vents. Mar. Ecol. 3:447–456. , , , , and .
- 2011. Coral and mollusc resistance to ocean acidification adversely affected by warming. Nat. Clim. Chang. 1:308–312. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The effect of carbonate chemistry on calcification and photosynthesis in the hermatypic coral Acropora eurystoma. Limnol. Oceanogr. 51:1284–1293. , and .
- 2003. Biological impacts of deep-sea carbon dioxide injection inferred from indices of physiological performance. J. Exp. Biol. 206:641–650. , and .
- 1991. Physical mechanisms and rates of particle capture by suspension-feeders. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Annu. Rev. 29:191–257. , and .
- 2005. Stable carbon cycle–climate relationship during the late Pleistocene. Science 310:1313–1317. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Coral reefs may start dissolving when atmospheric CO2 doubles. Geophys. Res. Lett., 36:L05606. doi:10.1029/2008GL036282. , , , , and .
- 1997. The reef aquarium: a comprehensive to the identification and care of tropical marine invertebrate. 245–257, Ricordea Publishing, Coconut Grove, Florida. , and .
- 2006. Light-enhanced calcification and dark decalcification in isolates of the soft coral Cladiella sp. during tissue recovery. Biol. Bull. 211:193–202. , and .
- 2011. Patterns of distribution of calcite crystals in soft corals sclerites. J. Morphol. 272:614–628. , and .
- 2001. Photo acclimation dynamics of the coral Stylophora pistillata to low and extremely low light. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 263:211–225. , , , and .
- 2003. Development and survivorship of zooxanthellate and azooxanthellate primary polyps of the soft coral Heteroxenia fuscescens: laboratory and field comparisons. Mar. Biol. 142:1055–1063. , , and .