We would like to thank The Nature Conservancy and the Palau International Coral Reef Center for funding this study.
Climate-change refugia in the sheltered bays of Palau: analogs of future reefs
Version of Record online: 31 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 10, pages 2474–2484, October 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(10): 2474–2484
- Issue online: 11 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 31 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 23 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 18 JUN 2012
- Palau International Coral Reef Center
- The Nature Conservancy
- 2000. Shifting roles of heterotrophy and autotrophy in coral energetics under varying turbidity. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 252:221–253. , and .
- 2000. Coral bleach-out in Belize. Nature 405:36. , , , and .
- 2004. Coral reefs: Corals' adaptive response to climate change. Nature 430:741. , , , and .
- 2008. Climate change and coral reef bleaching: an ecological assessment of long-term impacts, recovery trends and future outlook. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 80:435–471. , , and .
- 2010. Protein expression and genetic structure of the coral Porites lobata in an environmentally extreme Samoan back reef: does host genotype limit phenotypic plasticity? Mol. Ecol. 19:1705–1720. , , , , , and .
- 2004. The impact of two bleaching events on the survival of small-coral colonies. Bull. Mar. Sci. 751:115–125. , and .
- 1999. Large-scale bleaching of corals on the Great Barrier Reef. Coral Reefs 18:55–60. , and .
- 1997. Adaptations of Reef Corals to physical environmental stress. Adv. Mar. Biol. 31:221–299.
- 2002. Experience shapes the susceptibility of a reef Coral to bleaching. Coral Reefs 21:119–126. , , , and .
- 2001. El Niño related coral bleaching in Palau, Western Caroline Islands. Coral Reefs 20:127–136. , , , , and .
- 2008. One-third of reef-building corals face elevated extinction risk from climate change and local impacts. Science 321:560–563. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. PRIMER v5: User manual/tutorial. Primer-E Ltd, Plymouth, UK. , and .
- 2001. Change in marine communities: an approach to statistical analysis and interpretation, 2nd ed. PRIMER-E Ltd, Plymouth, UK. , and .
- 2005. Change in marine communities: an approach to statistical analysis and interpretation, 3rd ed.. PRIMER-E Ltd, Plymouth, UK. , , , and .
- 2003. Coral bleaching: capacity for acclimatization and adaptation. Adv. Mar. Biol. 46:183–223. , and .
- 2001. High temperatures tolerated by a diverse assemblage of shallow-water corals in American Samoa. Coral Reefs 20:185–189. , , and .
- 2005. Global assessment of coral bleaching and required rates of adaptation under climate change. Glob. Change Biol. 11:2251–2265. , , , , and .
- 2001. The influence of solar radiation on bleaching of shallow water reef corals in the Andaman Sea, 1993–1998. Coral Reefs 20:201–210. , and .
- 2001. Coral bleaching and mortality on artificial and natural reefs in Maldives in 1998, sea surface temperature anomalies and initial recovery. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 42:7–15. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Identity and diversity of coral endosymbionts (zooxanthellae) from three Palauan reefs with contrasting bleaching, temperature and shading histories. Mol. Ecol. 13:2445–2458. , , , , and .
- 2001. Coral bleaching: interpretation of thermal tolerance limits and thermal thresholds in tropical corals. Coral Reefs 20:1–27. , , , and .
- 1991. Coral reef bleaching in the 1980s and possible connections with global warming. Trends Ecol. Evol. 6:175–179.
- 1993. Coral reef bleaching ecological perspectives. Coral Reefs 12:1–17.
- 2007. Palau's coral reefs show differential habitat recovery following the 1998-bleaching event. Coral Reefs 26:319–332. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. River discharge reduces coral diversity in Palau. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 62:824–831. , , , , and .
- 2006. Heterotrophic plasticity and resilience in bleached corals. Nature 440:1186–1189. , , and .
- 2012. Contrasting patterns of coral bleaching susceptibility in 2010 suggest an adaptive response to thermal stress. PLoS ONE 7:e33353. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Climate change, coral bleaching and the future of the world's coral reefs. Mar. Freshw. Res. 50:839–866.
- 2007. Coral reefs under rapid climate change and ocean acidification. Science 318:1737–1742. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Climate change, human impacts, and the resilience of coral reefs. Science 301:929–933. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Photosynthetic response to elevated temperature in the symbiotic Dinoflagellate Symbiodinium microadriaticum in culture. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89:10302–10305. , , , and .
- 2008. Phototrophic adjustment of the foliaceous coral Echinopora lamellosa in Palau. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 77:672–678. , , , and .
- 2010. Host–symbiont recombination versus natural selection in the response of coral–dinoflagellate symbioses to environmental disturbance. Proc. R Soc. 277:2925–2934. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Spatial autocorrelation: trouble or new paradigm? Ecology 74:1659–1673.
- 2001. Coral bleaching: the winners and the losers. Ecol. Lett. 4:122–131. , , , , , and .
- 2004. The relationship between bleaching and mortality of common corals. Mar. Biol. 144:1239–1245.
- 2003. Response of coral assemblages to the interaction between natural temperature variation and rare warm-water events. Ecosystems 6:551–563. , and .
- 2004. Comparing bleaching and mortality responses of hard corals between southern Kenya and the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 48:327–335. , , , and .
- 2007. Effects of climate and seawater temperature variation on coral bleaching and mortality. Ecol. Monogr. 77:503–525. , , , and .
- 2011. On metapopulations and microrefugia: paleoecological insights. J. Biogeogr. 38:419–429. , , and .
- 2001. Cloudy weather may have saved Society Island reef corals during the 1998 ENSO event. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 222:209–216. , , , , and .
- 2001. Differential survival of corals during the 1998-bleaching event is partially explained by water-flow rates and passive diffusion. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 212:301–304. , and .
- 2004. Coral spawning in the western Pacific Ocean is related to solar insolation: evidence of multiple spawning events in Palau. Coral Reefs 23:133–140. , , , and .
- 2008. Ecosystem effects of ocean acidification in times of ocean warming: a physiologist's view. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 373:203–217.
- R Core development team. 2011. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria, ISBN:3-900051-07-0, http://www.R-project.org
- 2010. Effects of thermal stress on key processes driving coral population dynamics. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 411:73–87. , , and .
- 2006. Genetic structure of a reef-building coral from thermally distinct environments on the Great Barrier Reef. Coral Reefs 25:493–502. , and .
- 2004. Repair Machinery of symbiotic photosynthesis as the primary target of heat stress for reef-building corals. Plant Cell Physiol. 45:251–255. , , , , and .
- 2009. Corals escape bleaching in regions that recently and historically experienced frequent thermal stress. Proc. R. Soc. B 276:2893–2901. , and .
- 2008. Application of landscape ecology to spatio-temporal variance of water-quality parameters along the Florida keys reef tract. Bull. Mar. Sci. 83:553–569. , , and .
- 2010. Species composition, habitat, and water quality influence coral bleaching in south-eastern Florida. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 408:65–78. , , and .
- 2011. Coral populations in a rapidly changing environment. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 408:11–20. , and .
- 2011. Revisiting the winners and loser a decade after coral bleaching. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 434:67–76. , , , and .
- 2012. Effects of coral colony morphologies on mass transfer and susceptibility to thermal stress. Coral Reefs. 31:633–639. , , , and .
- 2009. Improved water quality can ameliorate effects of climate change on corals. Ecol. Appl. 19:1492–1499. , and .