This study was partly financed by the National Science and Engineering Council of Canada and the Carl Trygger Foundation (grant code CTS 09:87).
Gene expression divergence and nucleotide differentiation between males of different color morphs and mating strategies in the ruff
Version of Record online: 31 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 10, pages 2485–2505, October 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(10): 2485–2500
- Issue online: 11 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 31 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 1 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUN 2012
- National Science and Engineering Council of Canada. R.E. was partially funded by the Carl Trygger Foundation. Grant Number: CTS 09:87
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucl. Acids Res. 25:3389–3402. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Molecular and evolutionary history of melanism in North American gray wolves. Science 323:1339–1343. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. LOSITAN: a workbench to detect molecular adaptation based on a Fst-outlier method. BMC Bioinformatics 9:323. , , , , and .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. R. Stat. Soc. Series B Stat. Methodol. 57:289–300. , and .
- 2010. Morphology and behaviour: functional links in development and evolution. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 366:2056–2068.
- 2011. Rapid evolution of disease resistance is accompanied by functional changes in gene expression in a wild bird. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108:7866–7871. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Melanin and the abrasion resistance of feathers. Condor 97:590–591.
- 2001. Structural and functional diversity of blood group antigens. Transfus. Clin. Biol. 8:163–199. , and .
- 2009. Conservation of core gene expression in vertebrate tissues. J. Biol. 8:33. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Co-expression of SOX9 and SOX10 during melanocytic differentiation in vitro. Exp. Cell Res. 308:222–235. , , , , and .
- 2006. Intraspecific variation in coloration. Pp. 36–86 in G. E. Hill and K. J. McGraw, eds. Bird coloration: function and evolution. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge.
- 2001. Signaling individual identity versus quality: a model and case studies with Ruffs, Queleas, and House Finches. Am. Nat. 158:75–86. , , and .
- 2011. Applications of next generation sequencing in molecular ecology of non-model organisms. Heredity 107:1–15. , and .
- 2010. Digital gene expression analysis of the zebra finch genome. BMC Genomics 11:219. , , , and .
- 2008. msatcommander: detection of microsatellite repeat arrays and automated, locus-specific primer design. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:92–94.
- 2010. An EST-based genome scan using 454 sequencing in the marine snail Littorina saxatilis. J. Evol. Biol. 23:2004–2016. , , and .
- 2010. A genetic basis for the phenotypic differentiation between siscowet and lean lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush). Mol. Ecol. 19:176–196. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. A localized negative genetic correlation constrains microevolution of coat color in wild sheep. Science 319:318–320. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Bird coloration: mechanisms and measurements. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 2006. A single amino acid mutation contributes to adaptive beach mouse color pattern. Science 313:101–104. , , , , and .
- 2008. Deep sequencing-based expression analysis shows major advances in robustness, resolution and inter-lab portability over five microarray platforms. Nucl. Acids Res. 36:e141. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010a. Population genomics of parallel adaptation in threespine stickleback using sequenced RAD tags. PLoS Genet. 6:e1000862. , , , , , and .
- 2010b. Using population genomics to detect selection in natural populations: key concepts and methodological considerations. Int. J. Plant Sci. 171:1059–1071. , , and .
- 2011. Digital gene expression for non-model organisms. Genome Res. 21:1905–1915. , , , , and .
- 2010. Vertebrate pigmentation: from underlying genes to adaptive function. Trends Genet. 26:231–239. , , , , and .
- 1997. The resident's dilemma: a female choice model for the evolution of alternative mating strategies in lekking male Ruffs (Philomachus pugnax). Behav. Ecol. 8:218–225. , and .
- 2010. The transcriptomics of sympatric dwarf and normal lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis spp., Salmonidae) divergence as revealed by next-generation sequencing. Mol. Ecol. 19:5389–5403. , , , , and .
- 2008. Spatial analysis method (sam): a software tool combining molecular and environmental data to identify candidate loci for selection. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:957–960. , , and .
- 2006. Permanent female mimics in a lekking shorebird. Biol. Lett. 2:161–164. , and .
- 2009. PanGEA: identification of allele specific gene expression using the 454 technology. BMC Bioinformatics 10:143. , , , and .
- 2001. Visual signals for individual identification: the silent “Song” of ruffs. Auk 118:759–765. , and .
- 1995. Genetic polymorphism for alternative mating behaviour in lekking male ruff Philomachus pugnax. Nature 378:59–62. , , , , and .
- 1999. Testosterone-induced male traits in female Ruffs (Philomachus pugnax): autosomal inheritance and gender differentiation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Series B Biol. Sci. 266:2323–2330. , , and .
- 2012. Candidate genes for colour and vision exhibit signals of selection across the pied flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca) breeding range. Heredity 108:431–440. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. The power and promise of population genomics: from genotyping to genome typing. Nat. Rev. Genet. 4:981–994. , , , , and .
- 2003. Unmelanized plumage patterns in old world leaf warblers do not correspond to sequence variation at the Melanocortin-1 Receptor Locus (MC1R). Mol. Biol. Evol. 20:1675–1681. , , and .
- 2010. Colour polymorphism and correlated characters: genetic mechanisms and evolution. Mol. Ecol. 19:5101–5125. , and .
- 2007. Evolution of an avian pigmentation gene correlates with a measure of sexual selection. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 274:1807–1813. , , and .
- 2011. Comparison of FST outlier tests for SNP loci under selection. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 11:184–194. , and .
- 1989. Avian keratin genes I. A molecular analysis of the structure and expression of a group of feather keratin genes. J. Mol. Biol. 209:549–559. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Development of colour-producing β-keratin nanostructures in avian feather barbs. J. R. Soc. Interface 6:S253–S265. , , , and .
- 2010. From raw materials to validated system: the construction of a genomic library and microarray to interpret systemic perturbations in Northern bobwhite. Physiol. Genomics 42:219–235. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Genepop (Version 3.1d): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86:248–249. , and .
- 1991. The ruff. Poyser, London.
- 2010. edgeR: a bioconductor package for differential expression analysis of digital gene expression data. Bioinformatics 26:139–140. , , and .
- 2009. The value of avian genomics to the conservation of wildlife. BMC Genomics 10(Suppl. 2):S10. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The evolution, maintenance and adaptive function of genetic colour polymorphism in birds. Biol. Rev. 79:815–848.
- 2007. Mapping of the recessive white locus and analysis of the tyrosinase gene in chickens. Poult. Sci. 86:2126–2133. , , , , and .
- 2010. Sequence polymorphism in candidate genes for differences in winter plumage between Scottish and Scandinavian Willow Grouse (Lagopus lagopus). PLoS ONE 5:e10334. , and .
- 2011. Developmental decoupling of alternative phenotypes: insights from the transcriptomes of horn-polyphenic beetles. Evolution 65:231–245. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2010. Adaptation genomics: the next generation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25:705–712. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The chromosomal polymorphism linked to variation in social behavior in the white-throated sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) is a complex rearrangement and suppressor of recombination. Genetics 179:1455–1468. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucl. Acids Res. 22:4673–4680. , , and .
- 2003. Alternative reproductive strategies in the white-throated sparrow: behavioral and genetic evidence. Behav. Ecol. 14:425–432.
- 2008. Rapid transcriptome characterization for a nonmodel organism using 454 pyrosequencing. Mol. Ecol. 17:1636–1647. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Evolution of a novel carotenoid-binding protein responsible for Crustacean shell color. Mol. Biol. Evol. 26:1851–1864. , , , and .
- 2009. RNA-Seq: a revolutionary tool for transcriptomics. Nat. Rev. Genet. 10:57–63. , , and .
- 2010. The genome of a songbird. Nature 464:757–762. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Polyamine sensitivity of gap junctions is required for skin pattern formation in zebrafish. Sci. Rep. 2:473. , , and .
- 1984. The role of plumage polymorphism in dominance relationships of the white-throated sparrow. Auk 101:110–120. , , and .
- 2010. Rapidly developing functional genomics in ecological model systems via 454 transcriptome sequencing. Genetica 138:433–451.
- 1998. Alternative reproductive strategies in the Ruff, Philomachus pugnax: a mixed ESS? Anim. Behav. 56:329–336.
- 2010. Nucleotide divergence vs. gene expression differentiation: comparative transcriptome sequencing in natural isolates from the carrion crow and its hybrid zone with the hooded crow. Mol. Ecol. 19:162–175. , , , , , and .
- 2012. De novo characterization of the antler tip of Chinese Sika deer transcriptome and analysis of gene expression related to rapid growth. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 364:93–100. , , , , , , et al.