This research was funded by a NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada) strategic grant (STPGP 336871). This research was also supported by an Industrial Innovation Doctoral Scholarship from NSERC, a BMP innovation doctoral scholarship from FRQ-NT (Fonds de recherché du Québec- Natures et technologies) and Tembec, and a scholarship from FERLD (Forêt d'enseignement et de recherche du lac Duparquet).
Genetic consequences of fragmentation in “arbor vitae,” eastern white cedar (Thuja occidentalis L.), toward the northern limit of its distribution range
Article first published online: 31 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 10, pages 2506–2520, October 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(10): 2501–2515
- Issue published online: 11 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 31 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 31 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 7 MAY 2012
- NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada)
- FRQ-NT the (Fonds de recherché du Québec- Natures et technologies)
- FERLD (Forêt d'enseignement et de recherche du lac Duparquet). Grant Number: STPGP 336871
- 2008. Genetic consequences of habitat fragmentation in plant populations: susceptible signals in plant traits and methodological approaches. Mol. Ecol. 17:5177–5188. , , , , and .
- 2009. Range-wide genetic structure in a north-east Asian spruce (Picea jezoensis) determined using nuclear microsatellite markers. J. Biogeogr. 36:996–1007. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Boreal mixedwood species composition in relationship to topography and white spruce seed dispersal constraint. For. Ecol. Manage. 209:167–180. , , and .
- 2009. Long-term fire frequency variability in the eastern Canadian boreal forest: the influences of climate vs. local factors. Glob. Change Biol. 15:1230–1241. , , and .
- 1992. An 802-year tree-ring chronology from the Quebec boreal forest. Can. J. For. Res. 22:674–682. , and .
- 2001. Spatial distribution of late-successional coniferous species regeneration following disturbance in southwestern Québec boreal forest. For. Ecol. Manage. 140:29–37. , , and .
- 1995. Mating system in natural populations of eastern white pine in Quebec. Can. J. For. Res. 25:1697–1703. , and .
- 1999. Detecting population expansion and decline using microsatellites. Genetics 153:2013–2029.
- 2004. Fire regimes at the transition between mixedwood and coniferous boreal forest in northwestern Quebec. Ecology 85:1916–1932. , , , and .
- 2010. Will climate change drive 21st century burn rates in Canadian boreal forest outside of its natural variability: collating global climate model experiments with sedimentary charcoal data. Int. J. Wildland Fire 19:1127–1139. , , , and .
- 1996. Genetic comparisons of seed bank and seedling populations of a perennial desert mustard, Lesquerella fendleri. Evolution 50:1830–1841.
- 2001. Change of fire frequency in the eastern Canadian boreal forests during the Holocene: does vegetation composition or climate trigger the fire regime? J. Ecol. 89:930–946. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Microsatellite null alleles and estimation of population differentiation. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:621–631. , and .
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144:2001–2014. , and .
- 2009. Niche modelling and landscape genetics of Caryocar brasiliense (“Pequi” tree: Caryocaraceae) in Brazilian Cerrado: an integrative approach for evaluating central-peripheral population patterns. Tree Genet. Genom. 5:617–627. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Current and historical drivers of landscape genetic structure differ in core and peripheral salamander populations. PLoS ONE 7:e36769. , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic variation across species' geographical ranges: the central-marginal hypothesis and beyond. Mol. Ecol. 17:1170–1188. , , and .
- 1993. Population genetic consequences of small population size: implications for plant conservation. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 24:217–242. , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 1965. Silvics of forest trees of the United States. US. Dep. Agric. Agric. Handb. 271:1189–1209.
- 1996. Postglacial vegetation at the northern limit of lichen woodland in northwestern Québec. Géog. Phys. Quatern. 50:341–350. , , and .
- 2003. Diverging patterns of mitochondrial and nuclear DNA diversity in subarctic black spruce: imprint of a founder effect associated with postglacial colonization. Mol. Ecol. 12:891–901. , , , and .
- 2005. Genetic diversity of core and peripheral Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis (Bong.) Carr) populations: implications for conservation of widespread species. Biol. Conserv. 123:113–123. , , and .
- 1992. Holocene vegetation history of the boreal forest near Chibougamau, central Quebec. Can. J. Bot. 70:1364–1368. , and .
- 1992. Genetic structure and variability in jack pine populations: effects of insularity. Can. J. For. Res. 22:1958–1965. , , and .
- 2011. Inferring population decline and expansion from microsatellite data: a simulation-based evaluation of the msvar method. Genetics 188:165–179. , , , and .
- 2001. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3). http://www2.unil.ch/popgen/softwares/fstat.htm, Updated from Goudet (1995).
- 1971. Selection of selfish and altruistic behavior in some extreme models. Pp. 57–91 in E. A. Dillon, ed. Man and beast: comparative social behavior. Smithsonian Inst. Press, Washington, DC.
- 1992. Factors influencing levels of genetic diversity in woody plant species. New Forest. 6:95–124. , , and .
- 2001. Role of vegetation and weather on fire behavior in the Canadian mixedwood boreal forest using two fire behavior prediction systems. Can. J. For. Res. 31:430–441. , , , and .
- 2010. Geography determines genetic relationships between species of mountain pine (Pinus mugo complex) in western Europe. J. Biogeogr. 37:541–556. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The genetic legacy of the quaternary ice ages. Nature 405:907–913.
- 2010. Range-wide distribution of genetic diversity in the North American tree Juglans cinerea: a product of range shifts, not ecological marginality or recent population decline. Mol. Ecol. 19:4876–4891. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Prolonged clonal growth: escape route or route to extinction? Oikos 108:427–432. , and .
- 2007. Identifying the early genetic consequences of habitat degradation in a highly threatened tropical conifer, Araucaria nemorosa Laubenfels. Mol. Ecol. 16:3581–3591. , , , , and .
- 1999. Genetic structure, variability, and mating system in eastern white cedar (thuja occidentalis) populations of recent origin in an agricultural landscape in southern quebec. Can. J. For. Res. 29:1383–1392. , , and .
- 2002. Estimating allelic richness: effects of sample size and bottlenecks. Mol. Ecol. 11:2445–2449.
- 2000. The mating system and genic diversity in Martinez spruce, an extremely rare endemic of Mexico's Sierra Madre oriental: an example of facultative selfing and survival in interglacial refugia. Can. J. For. Res. 30:1156–1164. , , , , , and .
- 1990. Holocene paleoecology of the boreal forest and Great Lakes-st. Lawrence forest in northern Ontario. Ecol. Monogr. 60:179–212.
- 1984. Ecological determinants of genetic structure in plant populations. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 15:65–95. , and .
- 2005. Genetic resource impacts of habitat loss and degradation; reconciling empirical evidence and predicted theory for neotropical trees. Heredity 95:255–273. , , , , and .
- 1998. Distortion of allele frequency distributions provides a test for recent population bottlenecks. J. Hered. 89:238–247. , , , and .
- 1967. The detection of disease clustering and a generalized regression approach. Cancer Res. 27:209–220.
- 1991. Sources of allozymic variation in Thuja occidentalis in southern Ontario. Canada Silvae Genet. 40:100–105. , , and .
- 1983. Conifers. Pp. 443–472 in S. D. Tanksley and T. J. Orton, eds. Isozymes in plant genetics and breeding. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- 2001. Highly polymorphic microsatellite markers in Chamaecyparis obtusa. Can. J. For. Res. 31:2248–2251. , , , , and .
- 1987. Molecular evolutionary genetics. Columbia Univ. Press, New York.
- 1975. The bottleneck effect and genetic variability in populations. Evolution 29:1–10. , , and .
- 2000. Characterization of microsatellite loci in western redcedar (Thuja plicata). Mol. Ecol. 9:1920–1922. , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 1996. Treeview: an application to display phylogenetic trees on personal computers. Comput. Appl. Biosci. 12:357–358.
- 1984. Genotypic correlation and regression in social groups: multiple alleles, multiple loci and subdivided populations. Genetics 107:307–320.
- 1985. Effect of inbreeding on genetic relatedness. Hereditas 103:195–200.
- 2011. Les facteurs écologiques limitant la répartition nordique du thuja de l'est (thuja occidentalis L.). Master in Biology Master's thesis, Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue, Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, Canada.
- 2006. GENALEX 6: Genetic analysis in excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 1989. Inheritance and linkage relationships of allozymes of eastern white cedar (Thuja occidentalis) in northwestern Ontario. Genome 32:245–250. , and .
- 1990. Evidence of high self-fertilization in natural populations of eastern white cedar (Thuja occidentalis). Can. J. Bot. 68:663–668. , and .
- 1991. Short-note: are inferred out-crossing rates affected by germination promptness? Silvae Genet. 40:35–36. , and .
- 1990. Allozyme variation of Thuja occidentalis L. in northwestern Ontario. Biochem. Syst. Ecol. 18:111–115. , , and .
- 2009. The genetic consequences of habitat fragmentation: the case of forests. iForest 2:75–76.
- 1999. BOTTLENECK: a computer program for detecting recent reductions in the effective population size using allele frequency data. J. Hered. 90:502–503. , , and .
- 1986. Allozyme differentiation among populations, stands, and cohorts in Monterey pine. Can. J. For. Res. 16:1155–1164. , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2011. Unique genetic variation at a species' rear edge is under threat from global climate change. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 279:39–47. , and .
- 1989. Estimating relatedness using genetic markers. Evolution 43:258–275. , and .
- 1992. One long run with diagnostics: implementation strategies for Markov chain Monte Carlo. Stat. Sci. 7:493–497. , and .
- 1995. The number of iterations, convergence diagnostics and generic Metropolis algorithms. Pp. 115–130 in W. R. Gilks, D. J. Spiegel-Halter and S. Richardson, eds. Practical Markov chain Monte Carlo. Chapman and Hall, London, U.K. , and .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 1980. Postglacial history of the vegetation, south of Lake Abitibi, Ontario and Quebec. Géog. Phys. Quatern. 34:77–94.
- 1994. Mutational processes of simple-sequence repeat loci in human populations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91:3166–3170. , , , , , and .
- 2004. DISTRUCT: a program for the graphical display of population structure. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:137–138.
- 2011. PASSaGE: Pattern Analysis, Spatial Statistics and Geographic Exegesis. Version 2. Methods Ecol. Evol. 2:229–232. , and .
- 2002. The ‘abundant centre’ distribution: to what extent is it a biogeographical rule? Ecol. Lett. 5:137–147. , and .
- 2006. Moving beyond assumptions to understand abundance distributions across the ranges of species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21:524–530. , , and .
- 1987. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4:406–425. , and .
- 2009. Evolution and ecology of species range limits. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 40:415–436. , , , and .
- 2002. Testing for genetic evidence of population expansion and contraction: an empirical analysis of microsatellite DNA variation using a hierarchical Bayesian model. Evolution 56:154–166. , and .
- 1979. Evolutionary consequences of seed pools. Am. Nat. 114:232–249. , and .
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427:145–148. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Combined analysis of nuclear and mitochondrial markers provide new insight into the genetic structure of North European Picea abies. Heredity 102:549–562. , , , , , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 2008. Populations do not become less genetically diverse or more differentiated towards the northern limit of the geographical range in clonal vaccinium stamineum (Ericaceae). New Phytol. 180:534–544. , and .
- 1996. The population genetic consequences of habitat fragmentation for plants. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:413–418. , , and .