Molecular insights into the historic demography of bowhead whales: understanding the evolutionary basis of contemporary management practices
Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 1, pages 18–37, January 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(1): 18–37
- Issue published online: 26 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 7 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 JUN 2012
- Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission. Grant Number: NA05NMF4391108
- North Slope Borough Department of Wildlife Management
- 1986. Genetic drift and the loss of alleles versus heterozygosity. Zoo Biology 5:181–190.
- 2009. Comparing evolutionary patterns of variability in the mitochondrial control region and cytochrome b in three species of baleen whales. J. Mol. Evol. 68:97–111. , and .
- 2007. DNA evidence for historic population size and past ecosystem impacts of grey whales. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 104:15162–15167. , , and .
- 2012. Pre-whaling genetic diversity and population ecology in eastern pacific grey whales: insights from ancient DNA and stable isotopes. PLoS ONE 7:e35039. , , and .
- Gene flow on ice: the role of sea ice and whaling in shaping Holarctic genetic diversity and population differentiation in bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus). Ecology and Evolution (in press). , , , , , , et al. in press.
- 2002. Approximate Bayesian computation in population genetics. Genetics 162:2025–2035. , , and .
- 1997. Photosynthetic rates derived from satellite based chlorophyll concentration. Limnol. Oceanogr. 42:1–20. , and .
- 2006. Climate-driven trends in contemporary ocean productivity. Nature 444:752–754. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. ABC as a flecible framework to estimate demography over space and time: some cons, many pros. Mol. Ecol. 19:2609–2625. , , and .
- 2009. Assessing molecular substitution patterns in the mitochondrial control region compared to protein coding genes in two marine mammals. Paper SC/61/BRG7 presented to the International Whaling Commission Scientific Committee, May and June 2009, Madeira, Portugal. , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. The historical status and reduction of the western Arctic bowhead whale (Balaena mysticetus) population by the pelagic whaling industry, 1848–1914. Rep. Int. Whal. Commn. (special issue) 5:107–141. , and .
- 2006. Assessment of the Bering-Chikchi-Beaufort seas stock of bowhead whales using Bayesian model averaging. J. Cetacean Res. Manag. 8:225–239. , and .
- 1988. Analysis of genetic structure of a population and its associated statistical problems. Sankhya-the Indian J. Stat. Ser. B 50:327–349.
- 2006. Bayesian estimation of the timing and severity of a population bottleneck from ancient DNA. PLoS Genet. 2:e59. , , and .
- 2008. Inferring population history with DIYABC: a user-friendly approach to approximate Bayesian computations. Bioinformatics 23:2713–2719. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Inference on population history and model checking using DNA sequence and microsatellite data with the software DIYABC (v1.0). BMC Bioinformatics 11:401. , , and .
- 2010. Approximate Bayesian computation (ABC) in practice. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25:410–418. , , , and .
- 1990. Endangered greater one-horned rhinoceros carry high levels of genetic variation. Conserv. Biol. 4:417–422. , and .
- 2007. BEAST: Bayesian evolutionary analysis by sampling trees. BMC Evol. Biol. 7:214. , and .
- 1996. A history of sea ine in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago based on postglacial remains of the bowhead whale (Balaena mysticetus). Arctic 49:235–255. , , and .
- 2002. Homoplasy and mutation model at microsatellite loci and their consequences for population genetics analysis. Mol. Ecol. 11:1591–1604. , , and .
- 2004. Genetic analysis of complex demographic scenarios: spatially expanding populations of the cane toad, Bufo marinus. Evolution 58:2021–2036. , , , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2007. Statistical evaluation of alternative models of human evolution. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:v17614–17619. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Statistical tests of neutrality of mutations against population growth, hitchhiking and background selection. Genetics 147:915–925.
- 2012. Population trend, 1978–2004, of Bering-Chukchi-Beaufort bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus). Paper SC/64/AWMP5 presented to the IWC Scientific Committee, June 2012, Panama City, Panama. , and .
- 1999. Age and growth estimates of bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) via aspartic acid racemization. Can. J. Zool. 77:571–580. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Population genetics of bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) from the western Arctic. Arctic 63:1–12. , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Bottlenecked but long-lived: high genetic diversity retained in white-tailed eagles upon recovery from population decline. Biol. Lett. 22:316–319. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Signature of ancient population growth in a low-resolution mitochondrial DNA mismatch distribution. Hum. Biol. 66:591–600.
- 2010. Large-scale sexual segregation of bowhead whales. Endangered Species Research 13:73–78. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Bayesian inference of population size history from multiple loci. BMC Evol. Biol. 8:289–2008. , and .
- 2005. Time dependency of molecular rate estimates and systematic overestimation of recent divergence times. Mol. Biol. Evol. 22:1561–1568. , , , and .
- 1988. A sharper Bonferroni procedure for multiple tests of sign. Biometrika 75:800–802.
- 2011. Bayesian inference of a historical bottleneck in a heavily exploited marine mammal. Mol. Ecol. 20:3989–4008. , , , and .
- 1990. Gene genealogies and the coalescent process. Pp. 1–44 in D. Futuyama and J. Antonovics, eds. Oxford surveys in evolutionary biology. Oxford Univ. Press, New York.
- 2008. Characterization of twenty-five microsatellite loci in bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus). Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:612–615. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Did bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) from the Bering-Chukchi-Beaufort seas undergo a genetic bottleneck? A test using nuclear microsatellite loci. Master's thesis, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX.
- 2003. Temporal analysis of archived samples indicates marked genetic changes in declining North Sea cod (Gadus morhua). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270:2125–2132. , , , and .
- International Whaling Commission. 1976. Report of the Scientific Committee. 13. Classification of whale stocks. Pages 4-14 in Report and papers of the Scientific Committee of the Commission, 1975. (Unpublished)
- 2007. Effects of recent population bottlenecks on reconstructing the demographic history of prairie-chickens. Mol. Ecol. 16:2203–2222. , , and .
- 2007. Detecting genetic structure in migrating bowhead whales off the coast of Barrow, Alaska. Mol. Ecol. 16:1993–2004. , , , , , , et al.
- 1964. The number of alleles that can be maintained in a finite population. Genetics 49:725–738. , and .
- 1978. Stepwise mutation model and distribution of allelic frequencies in a finite population. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 75:2868–2872. , and .
- 2006. An approach to minimize bias in estimation of the length-frequency distribution of bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) from aerial photogrammetric data. J. Cetacean Res. Manag. 8:45–54. , , , and .
- 2010. Abundance of Bering-Chukchi-Beaufort bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) in 2004 estimated from photoidentification data. J. Cetacean Res. Manag. 11:89–99. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Maximum likelihood estimation of population growth rates based on the coalescent. Genetics 149:429–434. , , and .
- 2008. Mitochondrial genetic variation in bowhead whales in the western Arctic. J. Cetacean Res. Manag. 10:93–97. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. High genetic diversity and no inbreeding in the endangered copper redhorse, Moxostoma hubbsi (Catostomidae, Pisces): the positive sides of a long generation time. Mol. Ecol. 15:1769–1780. , , and .
- 2007. Demographic changes and marker properties affect detection of human population differentiation. BMC Genet. 8:1–10. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Orbital and millennial-scale features of atmospheric CH4 over the past 800,000 years. Nature 453:383–386. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Distortion of allele frequency distributions provides a test for recent population bottlenecks. J. Hered. 89:238–247. , , , and .
- 2009. Significant deviations from Hardy–Weinberg equilibrium caused by low levels of microsatellite genotyping errors. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 9:498–504. , , , , , , et al.
- 1984. Life history of the bowhead whale, Balaena mysticetus (Mammalia: Cetacea). J. Zool. Soc. Lond. 204:443–468. , , , and .
- 2009. Statistical inferences in phylogeography. Mol. Ecol. 18:1034–1047. , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2009. SPAms: a user-friendly software to simulate population genetics data under complex demographic models. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 9:749–753. , , , , and .
- 1999. Climate and atmospheric history of the past 420,000 years from the Vostok ice core, Antarctica. Nature 399:429–436. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Phylogeography of Steller sea lions: relationships among climate change, effective population size, and genetic diversity. J. Mammal. 92:1091–1104. , , , and .
- 1999. BOTTLENECK: a computer program for detecting recent reductions in the effective population size using allele frequency data. J. Hered. 90:502–503. , , and .
- 2006. Assessing the Bering-Chukchi-Beaufort seas stock of bowhead whales using abundance data together with data on length or age. J. Cetacean Res. Manag. 8:127–137.
- 2007. Tracer v1.4. Available at http://beast.bio.ed.ac.uk/Tracer (accessed January 1, 2012). , and .
- 1995. Genepop (Version 1.2) – population genetics software for exact tests of ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86:248–249. , and .
- 1994. Mutational processes of simple sequence repeat loci in human populations. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U S A 91:3166–3170. , , , , and .
- 2005. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. .
- 1995. Genetic evidence for a Pleistocene population explosion. Evolution 49:608–615.
- 1998. Magnitudes of sea-level lowstands of the past 500,000 years. Nature 394:162–165. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Antarctic temperature and global sea level closely coupled over the past five glacial cycles. Nat. Geosci. 2:500–504. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Whales before whaling in the north Atlantic. Science 301:508–510. , and .
- 1999. Evaluating a putative bottleneck in a population o bowhead whales from patterns of microsatellite diversity and genetic disequilibria. J. Mol. Evol. 49:682–690. , , , and .
- 2001. Historical population size change of bowhead whales inferred from DNA sequence polymorphism data. Evolution 55:1678–1685. , , and .
- 2011. Age estimates based on aspartic acid racemization for bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) harvested in 1998–2000 and the relationship between racemization rate and body temperature. Paper SC/63/BRG5 presented to the International Whaling Commission Scientific Committee, May and June 2011, Tromso, Norway. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Estimation of demographic parameters from the distribution of pairwise differences when the mutation rates vary among sites: application to human mitochondrial DNA. Genetics 152:1079–1089. , and .
- 1999. Abrupt climate change at the end of the last glacial period inferred from trapped air in polar ice. Science 286:930–934. , and .
- 2003. Sea-level fluctuations during the last glacial cycle. Nature 423:853–858. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Subsistence whaling. Pp. 579–629 in J. J. Burns, J. J. Montague and C. Cowles, eds. The bowhead whale. Society for Marine Mammalogy, Lawrence, KS. 787pp. , and .
- 2010. Subsistence harvest of bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) by Alaskan Eskimos during 2010. Paper SC/63/BRG2 presented to the International Whaling Commission Scientific Committee, May and June 2011, Tromso, Norway. , , , , and .
- 1983. Evolutionary relationships of DNA sequences in finite populations. Genetics 105:437–460.
- 1989. Statistical method for testing the neutral mutation hypothesis by DNA polymorphism. Genetics 123:585–595.
- 2011. MEGA4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using Maximum Likelihood, evolutionary distance, and Maximum Parisomy methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731–2739. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Synthesis of lines of evidence for population structure for bowhead whales in the Bering-Chukchi-Beaufort region. Paper SC/59/BRG35 presented to the IWC Scientific Committee, May 2007, Anchorage, Alaska. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Statistical hypothesis testing in intraspecific phylogeography: nested clade phylogeographical analysis vs. approximate Bayesian computation. Mol. Ecol. 18:319–331.
- 2005. Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size: to what time periods do the estimates apply? Mol. Ecol. 14:3335–3352.
- 1975. On the number of segregating sites in genetical models without recombination. Theory Popul. Biol. 7:256–276.
- 1993. Stock sizes prior to commercial whaling. Pp. 387–407 in J. J. Burns, J. J. Montague and C. Cowles, eds. The bowhead whale. Society for Marine Mammalogy, Lawrence, KS. 787pp. , and .