Australian Research Council and an Australian Postgraduate Award (to ACG) provided funding for this project.
Extreme climatic events drive mammal irruptions: regression analysis of 100-year trends in desert rainfall and temperature
Article first published online: 21 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 11, pages 2645–2658, November 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(11): 2645–2658
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 21 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 16 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUN 2012
- Australian Research Council
- 1996. El Niño southern oscillation and climatic variability. CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne, Australia, 405 pp. , , and .
- 2011. lme4: linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. R package version 0.999375-42. http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=lme4. , , and .
- 2012. Impacts of climate change on the future of biodiversity. Ecol. Lett. 15:1–13. , , , , and .
- 1997. Reorganization of an arid ecosystem in response to recent climate change. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94:9729–9733. , , and .
- Bureau of Meteorology. 2012. Climate Data Online. Available at http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/data/.
- 2007. Detecting climate changes of concern in highly variable environments: quantile regressions reveal that droughts worsen in Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe. J. Arid Environ. 71:321–326. , , and .
- 1918. Presidential address to the Royal Society of NSW. J. Proc. R. Soc. NSW 52:1–165.
- CSIRO and Australian Bureau of Meteorology. 2007. Climate change in Australia. Technical report. CSIRO and Australian Bureau of Meteorology for the Australian Climate Change Science Programme. Available at www.climatechangeinaustralia.gov.au.
- CSIRO and Australian Bureau of Meteorology. 2012. State of the Climate 2012. CSIRO and the Australian Bureau of Meteorology. Available at www.climatechangeinaustralia.gov.au
- 1999. Long-term dynamics of rodent populations in arid Australia: the influence of rainfall. Wildl. Res. 26:389–403. , , , and .
- 2001. Population dynamics of three species of dasyurid marsupials in arid central Australia: a 10-year study. Wildl. Res. 28:493–506. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Social organization and movements of desert rodents during population “booms” and “busts” in central Australia. J. Mammal. 91:798–810. , , , , and .
- 2011. Spatial dynamics of small mammals in central Australian desert habitats: the role of drought refugia. J. Mammal. 92:1193–1209. , , , and .
- 2010. Assessing the ability of potential evaporation formulations to capture the dynamics in evaporative demand within a changing climate. J. Hydrol. 386:186–197. , , and .
- 2004. Effects of climate change on population persistence of desert-dwelling mountain sheep in California. Conserv. Biol. 18:102–113. , , , , and .
- 2009. Inter-annual rainfall variability of arid Australia: greater than elsewhere? Aust. Geogr. 40:109–120.
- 1999. Temporal and spatial patterns in drought-related tree dieback in Australian savanna. J. Appl. Ecol. 36:1035–1050. , and .
- 1989. Influence of pitfall and drift fence design on capture rates of small vertebrates in semi-arid habitats of Western Australia. Aust. Wildl. Res. 16:1–10. , , , and .
- 2004. The role of torpor in the life of Australian arid zone mammals. Aust. Mammal. 26:125–134.
- 2007. Data analysis using regression and multilevel/hierarchical models. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, xxii, 625 pp. , and .
- 2009. The fire history of an arid grassland: the influence of antecedent rainfall and ENSO. Int. J. Wildl. Fire 18:631–639. , , , and .
- 2006. Distribution, abundance, and individual strategies: a multi-scale analysis of dasyurid marsupials in arid central Australia. Ecography 29:285–300. , and .
- 1999. Australian rainfall changes, 1910–1995. Aust. Meteorol. Mag. 48:1–13. , , and .
- 2008. Climate change impacts on African rangelands. Rangelands 30:12–17. , and .
- 2006. A synthesis of ENSO effects on drylands in Australia, North America and South America. Adv. Geosci. 6:69–72. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Climate change and Australia: trends, projections and impacts. Austral Ecol. 28:423–443.
- 2011. Climate change and Australia: key vulnerable regions. Reg. Environ. Change 11:189–195.
- IPCC. 2007. Climate change 2007: synthesis report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Geneva, 73 pp.
- 2011. Climate extremes initiate ecosystem-regulating functions while maintaining productivity. J. Ecol. 99:689–702. , , , , , and , et al.
- 1994. Confidence intervals for regression quantiles. Pp. 349–359 in P. Mandl and M. Huskova, eds. Asymptotic statistics. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- 2011. quantreg: Quantile Regression. R package version 4.76. .
- 2006. Boom means bust: interactions between the El Niño/Southern Oscillation (ENSO), rainfall and the processes threatening mammal species in arid Australia. Biodivers. Conserv. 15:3847–3880. , and .
- 2010. Resource pulses and mammalian dynamics: conceptual models for hummock grasslands and other Australian desert habitats. Biol. Rev. 85:501–521. , and .
- 2005. The responses of mammals to La Niña (El Niño Southern Oscillation); associated rainfall, predation, and wildfire in central Australia. J. Mammal. 86:689–703. , , and .
- 2011. Resource pulses, switching trophic control, and the dynamics of small mammal assemblages in arid Australia. J. Mammal. 92:1210–1222. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Population rate of change in the leaf-eared mouse: the role of density-dependence, seasonality and rainfall. Aust. J. Ecol. 24:110–116. , and .
- 2002. Food web structure and climate effects on the dynamics of small mammals and owls in semi-arid Chile. Ecol. Lett. 5:273–284. , , and .
- 2008. Chihuahuan Desert kangaroo rats: nonlinear effects of population dynamics, competition and rainfall. Ecology 89:2594–2603. , , , , and .
- 2011. Climate change and Queensland biodiversity. Queensland Department of Environment and Resource Management, Brisbane, Australia, 199 pp.
- 2012. Feeling the heat: Australian landbirds and climate change. Emu 112:i–vii. , , and .
- 2011. A fresh framework for the ecology of arid Australia. J. Arid Environ. 75:313–329. , , , , , and , et al.
- 1975. Outbreaks of rodents in semi-arid and arid Australia: causes, preventions and evolutionary considerations. Pp. 117–153 in I. Prakash and P. K. Ghosh, eds. Rodents in desert environments. Dr. W. Junk Publishers, The Hague. , and .
- 1973. Desert ecosystems: environment and producers. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 4:25–51.
- 2008. Population dynamics and prey selection of native and introduced predators during a rodent outbreak in arid Australia. J. Mammal. 89:674–683. , , and .
- 2011. Perspectives on global change theory. Pp. 261–281 in S. M. Scheiner and M. R. Willig, eds. The theory of ecology. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago. , , and .
- 2012. Lizard responses to wildfire in arid interior Australia: long-term experimental data and commonalities with other studies. Austral Ecol. 37:1–11. , and .
- 2012. Extremes: understanding flower – visitor interactions in a changing climate. Pp. 99–106 in D. Lunney and P. Hutchings, eds. Wildlife and climate change: towards robust conservation strategies for Australian fauna. Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales, Mosman, NSW, Australia. , and .
- 1984. Land systems of the Simpson Desert region. Natural resources series no. 2. CSIRO Division of Water and Land Resources, Melbourne, Australia, 71 pp. .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1992. The Simpson Desert: natural history and human endeavour. Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, Adelaide, Australia, ix, 174 pp.
- 2011a. An ecological perspective on extreme climatic events: a synthetic definition and framework to guide future research. J. Ecol. 99:656–663.
- 2011b. The ecological role of climate extremes: current understanding and future prospects. J. Ecol. 99:651–655.
- 1998. The influence of climate change on the body mass of woodrats Neotoma in an arid region of New Mexico, USA. Ecography 21:140–148. , , and .
- 2011. SiZer: SiZer: Significant Zero Crossings. R package version 0.1-4.
- 2011. Analysis of trends in temperature data in arid and semi-arid regions of Iran. Global Planet. Change 79:1–10. , and .
- 2003. Piecewise regression: a tool for identifying ecological thresholds. Ecology 84:2034–2041. , and .
- 2010. Changes in the frequency of record temperatures in Australia, 1957–2009. Aust. Meteorol. Oceanogr. J. 60:113–119. , and .
- 2012. Consequences of extreme events on population persistence and evolution of a quantitative trait. Ecol. Inform. 8:20–28. , , and .
- 2009. The biology of deserts. Oxford University Press, New York, 339 pp.
- 1981. The rodents of Australia. Angus & Robertson, Sydney, Australia, 314 pp. , and .
- 2008. Climate change and the effects of temperature extremes on Australian flying-foxes. Proc. Biol. Sci. 275:419–425. , , , and .
- 2006. A spatially structured metapopulation model with patch dynamics. J. Theor. Biol. 239:469–481. , , , and .