The Swedish Natural Science Research Council and The Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning.
Small-scale resource tracking in a population of a long-lived insect
Version of Record online: 24 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 11, pages 2659–2668, November 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(11): 2659–2668
- Issue online: 8 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 24 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 15 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 10 APR 2012
- Swedish Natural Science Research Council
- Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning
- 2008. Spatio-temporal variation in fruit production and seed predation in a perennial herb influenced by habitat quality and population size. J. Ecol. 96:334–345. , , and .
- 2008. Nutrient addition extends flowering display, which gets tracked by seed predators, but not by their parasitoids. Oikos 117:473–480. , , and .
- 2012. What shapes local density? The importance of migration rates and local growth for density-patch size relationships in two Cionus weevils. Ecol. Entomol. 37:90–98. , and .
- 1988. Effects of host plant size on herbivore density: patterns. Ecology 69:1090–1102.
- 2000. Interactive effects of host resistance and drought stress on the performance of a gall making aphid living on Norway spruce. Oecologia 123:223–231.
- 2000. The effect of dispersal on the population dynamics of a gall-forming midge and its parasitoids. J. Anim. Ecol. 69:96–105. , and .
- 2006. Influence of multiple factors on insect colonization of heterogeneous landscapes: a review and case study with periodical cicadas (Homoptera: Cicadidae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 99:809–820. , and .
- 1997. The role of larval food resources and adult movement in the population dynamics of the orange tip butterfly (Anthocharis cardamines). Oecologia 111:549–556.
- 1998. Resource limitation of populations and ceiling models. Pp.81–95 J. P. Dempster and I. F. G. Mclean, eds. Insect populations in theory and practice. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- 2000. Habitat patchiness and the distribution, abundance, and population dynamics of an insect herbivore. Ecology 81:1842–1857.
- 1965. Contribution a l'etude du Vincetoxicum officinalis Moench et de ses “variétés” dans lu sud-est Français. Nat. Monspel. Ser. Bot. 16:17–42.
- 2000. The occurrence and effectiveness of hypersensitive reaction against galling herbivores across host taxa. Ecol. Entomol. 26:46–55. , and .
- 1996. Suboptimal patch and plant choice by an ovipositing monophagous moth – an insurance against bad weather? Oikos 77:301–308. , and .
- 1997. Population structure of a monophagous moth in a patchy landscape. Ecol. Entomol. 22:256–263. , and .
- 1997. Variation in budbreak phenology affects the distribution of a leafmining beetle (Brachys tesselatus) on turkey oak (Quercus laevis). Ecoscience 4:480–489. , , , and .
- 1988. Genetic variation among plants and insect community structure: willows and sawflies. Ecology 69:845–856. , and .
- 2007. Up or down in space? Uniting the bottom-up versus top-down paradigm and spatial ecology. Oikos 116:181–188. , and .
- 2010. Allometric density responses in butterflies: the response to small and large patches by small and large species. Ecography 33:1149–1156. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Patch occupancy dynamics in fragmented landscapes. Trends Ecol. Evol. 9:131–135.
- 1997. Metapopulation dynamics from concepts and observation to predictive models. Pp. 69–91 in M. E. Gilpin and I. Hanski, eds. Metapopulation biology – ecology genetics and evolution. Academic press, New York. .
- 1991. Metapopulation dynamics: Brief history and conceptual domain. Pp.3–16 in M. E. Gilpin and I. Hanski, eds. Metapopulation dynamics: empirical and theoretical investigations. Academic press, London. , and
- 1991. Local extinction in a metapopulation context: an empirical evaluation. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 42:73–88.
- 1983. Studies on the natural enemy complex of the holly leaf-miner: the effects of scale on the detection of aggregative responses and the implications for biological control. Oikos 40:267–276. , and .
- 1997. Enemy-free space and the feeding niche of an aphid. Ecol. Entomol. 22:271–274. , and .
- 1971. 2nd ed. Atlas över växternas utbredning i Norden. Generalstabens litografiska anstalts förlag, Stockholm. Swedish with an English summary
- 1986. Atlas of North European vascular plants north of the Tropic of Cancer. II. Taxonomic index to the maps 997–1936. Koeltz Scientific Books, Königstein BRD. and .
- 1992. A variable insect-plant interaction: the relationship between tree budburst phenology and population levels of insect herbivores among trees. Ecol. Entomol. 16:91–95.
- 1983. Influence of vegetation texture on herbivore populations: resource concentration and herbivore movement. Pp.259–289 in R. F. Denno and M. S. Mclure, eds. Variable plants and herbivores in natural and managed systems., Blackwell, New York.
- 1997. Phenology of winter moth feeding on common heather: effects on source population and experimental manipulation of hatch dates. J. Anim. Ecol. 66:375–385. , and .
- 2001. The effect of plant population size on the interactions between the rare plant Gentiana cruciata and its specialized herbivore Maculinea rebeli. J. Ecol. 89:418–427. , , and .
- 2003. Changing importance of habitat structure across multiple spatial scales for three species of insects. Oikos 103: 153–161. , and .
- 1998. Numerical ecology, 2nd. Elsevier Science B.V, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. , and .
- 1997. Spatial pattern formation in an insect parasitoid system. Science 278:1619–1621. , and .
- 2000. Metapopulation structure depends on spatial scale in the host-specific moth Wheeleria spilodactylus (Lepidoptera: Pterophoridae). J. Anim. Ecol. 69:935–951. , and .
- 1990. Differential colonization of resistant and susceptible host plants: Pemphigus and Populus. Ecology 71:1059–1067. , and .
- 1997. Synchronization with host plant phenology and gall site preference of Dinipponaphis autumna (Homoptera: Aphididae). Appl. Entomol. Zool. 32:81–90. , and .
- 2005. Resource dilution effects on specialist insect herbivores in a grassland biodiversity experiment. J. Anim. Ecol. 74:234–240. , , and .
- 1991. The plant vigour hypothesis and herbivore attack. Oikos 62:244–251.
- 1994. The influence of inter-tree variation in time of budburst of white spruce on herbivory and the behaviour and survivorship of Zeiraphera canadensis. Ecol. Entomol. 19:17–25.
- 2005. Egg laying by a butterfly on a fragmented host plant: a multi-level approach. Ecography 28:629–639. , , and .
- 2002. Opposing survivorship and fecundity effects of host phenology on the gall-forming aphid Hormaphis hamamelidis. Ecol. Entomol. 27:475–483. , and .
- 1984. The search for resources by cabbage butterflies (Pieris rapae): ecological consequences and adaptive significance of markovian movements in a patchy environment. Ecology 65:147–165. , and .
- 2006. Seeing the trees for the leaves – oaks as mosaics for a host-specific moth. Oikos 113:106–120. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Spatial pattern in checkerspot butterfly – host plant association at local, metapopulation and regional scales. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 42:347–361. , and .
- 1995. Biometry – The principles and practice of statistics in the biological sciences, 3rd ed. W.H Freeman, New York. , and .
- 1995 in Long term population dynamics of a seed-feeding insect in a landscape perspective. Pp.279–301. N.Cappuccino and P. W.Price, eds. Population dynamics: new approaches and synthesisAcademic Press, San Diego.
- 2012. Very long diapause and extreme resistance to population disturbance in a galling insect. Ecol. Entomol. 37:51–55. , and .
- 1999. The spatial structure of populations. J. Anim. Ecol. 68:647–657. , and .
- 1988. Sun, slope and butterflies: topographic determinants of habitat quality for Ephydryas editha. Ecology 69:1486–1496. , , and .
- 2002. Population structure of a gall midge with a temporal refuge. [PhD thesis], Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala. .
- 2005. Slow response to strong disturbance in an insect population with a temporal refuge. Oikos 108:618–622. , and .
- 2002. Identity and phylogenetic status of two sibling gall midge species (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae: Contarinia) on the perennial herb Vincetoxicum hirundinaria. Syst. Entomol. 27:519–528. , , , and .
- 2001. The role of resources and natural enemies in determining the distribution of an insect herbivore population. Ecol. Entomol. 26:204–211. , , and .
- 2000. Synchronization of gallers with host plant phenology. Popul. Ecol. 42:105–113.
- 2006. Host plant population size determines cascading effects in a plant-herbivore-parasitoid system. Basic Appl. Ecol. 7:191–200. , , and .