This study was supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (Grant no. 51466) as part of the ‘Regional Cassava Virus Diseases Diagnostic Project’ coordinated by Dr. Joseph Ndunguru.
Genetic diversity and geographic distribution of Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) genotypes associated with cassava in East Africa
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 11, pages 2749–2762, November 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(11): 2749–2762
- Issue online: 8 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 8 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 APR 2012
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Grant Number: 51466
- 2011. Bemisia tabaci: a statement of species status. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 56:1–19. , , , and .
- 1994. Geminivirus transmission and biological characterization of Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) biotypes from different geographical regions. Ann. Appl. Biol. 125:311–325. , , , and .
- 2004. Molecular evidence for five distinct Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) geographic haplotypes associated with cassava plants in sub-Saharan Africa. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 97:852–859. , , , , , and .
- 2001. The molecular epidemiology of begomoviruses. Pp. 279–316 in J. A. Khan and J. Dykstra, eds. Trends in plant virology. The Haworth Press, Inc., New York.
- 1995. Characterisation and distribution of esterase electromorphs in the whitefly Bemisia tabaci (Genn.) (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae). Biochem. Genet. 33:205–214. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Change in the biotype composition of Bemisia tabaci in Shangdong province of China from 2005 to 2008. Environ. Entomol. 39:1028–1036. , , , and .
- 2004. Dual begomovirus infections and high Bemisia tabaci populations: two factors driving the spread of cassava mosaic disease pandemic. Plant. Pathol. 1:577–584. , , , , and .
- 2006. Host-plant viral infection effects on arthropod-vector population growth, development and behaviour: management and epidemiological implications. Adv. Virus Res. 67(06):419–452. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Squash silvering symptoms induced by immature, but not adult, Bemisia tabaci. Phytopathology 83:763–766. , , , and .
- 2010. Mating behavior, life history and adaptation to insecticides determine species exclusion between whiteflies. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:579–586. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Genetic diversity, geographical range and origin of Bemisia tabaci (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) Indian Ocean Ms. Bull. Entomol. Res. 101:487–97. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Refined global analysis of Bemisia tabaci (Hemiptera: Sternorrhyncha: Aleyrodoidea: Aleyrodidae) mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase I to identify species level genetic boundaries. Annu. Entomol. Soc. Am. 103:196–208. , , , , and .
- 2012. Genetic identification of members of the Bemisia tabaci cryptic species complex from South Africa reveals native and introduced haplotypes. J. Appl. Entomol. 136:1–14. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 1985. Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39:783–791.
- 1999. A phylogeographic analysis of the Bemisia tabaci species complex based on mitochondria DNA markers. Mol. Ecol. 8:1683–1691. , , , , and .
- 1999. Emergence, spread and strategies for controlling the pandemic of cassava mosaic virus disease in east and central Africa. Crop Prot. 18:627–637.
- 2002. A distinct, Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) (Hemiptera: Sternorrhyncha: Aleyrodidae) genotype cluster is associated with the epidemic of severe cassava mosaic virus disease in Uganda. Mol. Ecol. 11:1219–1229. , , , , and .
- 2006. Cassava mosaic virus disease in East and Central Africa: epidemiology and management of a regional pandemic. Adv. Virus Res. 67:355–418. , , , and .
- 2011. Comparing the regional epidemiology of the cassava mosaic and cassava brown streak virus pandemics in Africa. Virus Res. 159:161–170. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Reproductive incompatibility and cytochrome oxidase I gene sequence variability amongst host-adapted and geographically separate Bemisia tabaci populations (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae). Syst. Entomol. 29:560–568. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Transmission of Cassava brown streak virus by Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius). J. Phytopathol. 153:307–312. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Genetic diversity of Iberian population of Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) based on random amplified polymorphic DNA- polymerase chain reaction. Mol. Ecol. 10:891–897. , , , , and .
- 2004. Host plant resistance to African Bemisia tabaci in local landraces and improved cassava mosaic disease resistant genotypes in Uganda. 6th Intntl. Sci. Meeting Cassava Biotechnology Network (Abstr.), p84, 8–14, March, CIAT, Cali, Columbia. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. African Cassava Whitefly, Bemisia tabaci, resistance in African and South American cassava genotypes. J. Integr. Agric. 11:327–336. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Epidemic of severe cassava mosaic disease in Uganda and efforts to control it. Afr. J. Root Tuber Crops 2:42–43. , , , and .
- 2000. Pp. 100. The current pandemic of cassava mosaic virus disease in East Africa and its control. NARO, NRI, DFID. Natural Resources Institute, Chatham, UK. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. The emergence of whitefly-transmitted geminiviruses in tomato in the Western hemisphere. Plant Dis. 81:1358–1369. , and .
- 2012. Species concept as applied to the whitefly Bemisia tabaci systematics: how many species are there? J. Integr. Agric. 11:176–186. , , and .
- 1994. Evolution, weighting, and phylogenetic utility of mitochondrial gene sequences and a compilation of conserved polymerase chain reaction primers. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 87:651–701. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Molecular variability of cassava Bemisia tabaci and its effects on the epidemiology of cassava mosaic Geminiviruses in Uganda. Ph.D. thesis., University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 2005. Genetic diversity of Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) populations and presence of the B biotype and a non-B biotype that can induce silverleaf symptoms in squash, in Uganda. Ann. Appl. Biol. 147:253–265. , , , , , and .
- 1998. PAUP*Phylogenetic analysis using parsimony (*and other methods). Version 4. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using likelihood, distance, and parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731–2739. , , , , , and
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighing, positions-specific gap penltalies and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22:4673–4680. , , and .
- 2011. The presence of six cryptic species of the whitefly Bemisia tabaci complex in China as revealed by crossing experiments. Insect Sci. 18:67–77. , , , and .
- 2009. Studies on the invasion by alien Bemisia tabaci in Zhejiang and comparison of biological characteristics between biotypes of the whitefly. Ph.D. diss., Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China.
- 2010. Reproductive incompatibility among genetic groups of Bemisia tabaci supports the proposition that the whitefly is a cryptic species complex. Bull. Entomol. Res. 100:359–366. , and .