Research was supported by the Center for Tropical Forest Science – Arnold Arboretum Asia Program, a CTFS research grant and a postdoctoral fellowship to J. L. B. from the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada.
Rainfall seasonality and pest pressure as determinants of tropical tree species' distributions
Article first published online: 27 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 11, pages 2682–2694, November 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(11): 2682–2694
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 27 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 17 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 JUN 2012
- Center for Tropical Forest Science
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- 2005. Edaphic specialization in tropical trees: physiological correlates and responses to reciprocal transplantation. Ecology 86:3063–3077. , , , and .
- 2007. Geographical distributions in tropical trees: can geographical range predict performance and habitat association in co-occurring tree species? J. Biogeogr. 34:1916–1926. , , , , and .
- 2008. The role of desiccation tolerance in determining tree species distributions along the Malay-Thai Peninsula. Funct. Ecol. 22:221–231. , , , and .
- 2009. Coordination of foliar and wood anatomical traits contributes to tropical tree distributions and productivity along the Malay-Thai Peninsula. Am. J. Bot. 96:2214–2223. , , , , and .
- 1998. Responses of tropical trees to rainfall seasonality and its long-term changes. Clim. Change 39:381–393.
- 2006. Temperate forest trees and stands under severe drought: review of ecophysiological responses, adaptation processes and long-term consequences. Annals of Forest Science 63:625–644. , , , and .
- 2009. Pests vs. drought as determinants of plant distribution along a tropical rainfall gradient. Ecology 90:1751–1761. , , and .
- 2011. Climate change vulnerability of forest biodiversity: climate and competition tracking of demographic rates. Glob. Change Biol. 17:1834–1849. , , , and .
- 1995. Prediction of neotropical tree and liana species richness from soil and climatic data. Biodivers. Conserv. 4:56–90. , , , , and .
- 1996. Herbivory and plant defenses in tropical forests. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:305–335. , and .
- 1985. Resource availability and plant antiherbivore defense. Science 230:895–899. , , and .
- 1998. Ecological implications of changes in drought patterns: shifts in forest composition in Panama. Clim. Change 39:413–427.
- 1971. On the role of natural enemies in preventing competitive exclusion in some marine animals and in rain forest trees. Pp. 298–312 in P. J. den Boer and G. R. Gradwell, eds. Dynamics of Populations. Center for Agricultural Publication, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- 2008. Patterns of herbivory and defense in tropical dry and rain forests. Pp. 63–78 in W. P. Carson and S. A. Schnitzer, eds. Tropical forest community ecology. Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken, NJ. , and .
- 1950. Evolution in the tropics. Am. Sci. 38:209–221.
- 2007. Drought sensitivity shapes species distribution patterns in tropical forests. Nature 447:80–83. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Herbivores promote habitat specialization by trees in Amazonian forests. Science 305:663–665. , , and .
- 2009. Leaf damage decreases fitness and constrains phenotypic plasticity to drought of a perennial herb. Acta Oecol. Int. J. Ecol. 35:752–757. , , and .
- 2008. Water availability limits tolerance of apical damage in the Chilean tarweed Madia sativa. Acta Oecol. 34:104–110. , , , and .
- 2006. Scaling of angiosperm xylem structure with safety and efficiency. Tree Physiol. 26:689–701. , , , and .
- 2001. The impact of herbivory on plants in different resource conditions: a meta-analysis. Ecology 82:2045–2058. , and .
- 2004. Plant water stress and its consequences for herbivorous insects: a new synthesis. Ecology 85:1383–1398. , and .
- 2001. Suitability of stressed and vigorous plants to various insect herbivores. Oikos 94:228–235. , , and .
- 2004. The structure of tropical forests. Pp. 69–78 in E. C. Losos and E. G. Leigh, eds. Tropical forest diversity and dynamism: findings from a large-scale plot network. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1990. Herbivore influences on plant performance and competitive interactions. Pp. 413–444 in J. B. Grace and D. Tilman, eds. Perspectives on plant competition. Academic Press, New York. , , and .
- 1989. Strategies in response to water stress. Pp. 269–281 in H. K. Kreeb, H. Richter and T. M. Hinckley, eds. Structural and functional responses to environmental stresses: water shortage. SPB Academic Press, The Hague, The Netherlands.
- 1972. Geographic ecology: patterns in the distribution of species. Harper and Row, New York, New York.
- 2004. Tropical forests and global atmospheric change: a synthesis. Philos. Transact. R. Soc. Lond. B 359:549–555. , and .
- 2002. An international network to monitor the structure, composition and dynamics of Amazonian forests (RAINFOR). J. Veg. Sci. 13:439–450. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Seedling root morphology and biomass allocation of 62 tropical tree species in relation to drought- and shade-tolerance. J. Ecol. 97:311–325. , and .
- 1987. The role of drought stress in provoking outbreaks of phytophagous insects. Pp. 365–407 in P. Barbosa and J. C. Schultz, eds. Insect outbreaks. Academic Press, Lond. , and .
- 1995. Season and intensity of water stress: host-plant effects on larval survival and fecundity of Neodiprion gillettei (Hymenoptera: Diprionidae). Environ. Entomol. 24:1251–1257. , and .
- 2006. Niche breadth, competitive strength and range size of tree species: a trade-off based framework to understand species distribution. Ecol. Lett. 9:185–195. , and .
- 2007. Low beta diversity of herbivorous insects in tropical forests. Nature 448:692–695. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Patterns of floristic differentiation among Atlantic forests in southeastern Brazil and the influence of climate. Biotropica 32:793–810. , and .
- 2004. Mixed-effects models in S and S-PLUS. Springer, New York. , and .
- 2008. Seedling traits determine drought tolerance of tropical tree species. Biotropica 40:321–331. , and .
- 2001. Floristic composition across a climatic gradient in a neotropical lowland forest. J. Veg. Sci. 12:553–566. , , , and .
- 2001. Latitudinal gradients and geographic ranges of exotic species: implications for biogeography. J. Biogeogr. 28:139–150.
- 1977. Limiting effects of low leaf water content on the nitrogen utilization, energy budget, and larval growth of Hyalophora cecropia (Lepidoptera: Saturniidae). Oecologia 28:269–287.
- 1970. Flora of Thailand. Applied Scientific Research Corporation of Thailand, Bangkok, Thailand. , and .
- 2004. Foresters' manual of dipterocarps. Syonan-Hakubutukan, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 2012. Distribution patterns of tropical woody species in response to climatic and edaphic gradients. J. Ecol. 100:253–263. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Desiccation tolerance of five tropical seedlings in Panama. Relationship to a field assessment of drought performance. Plant Physiol. 132:1439–1447. , , , and .
- 1950. The delimitation of Malesia and its main plant geographical divisions. Pages 1xx–1xxv Flora Malesiana.
- 1998. Limits to tree species distribution in lowland tropical rainforests. Pp. 163–191 in D. M. Newbery, H. H. T. Prins and N. Brown, eds. Dynamics of tropical forest communities. 37th Symposium of the British Ecological Society. Blackwell Science, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- 2005. Flora of Thailand Euphorbiaceae. in P. C. Van Welzen, ed. National Herbarium Nederland and Forest Herbarium, National Park. Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department, Bangkok, Thailand. Available at www.nationaalherbarium.nl/thaieuphorb , and .
- 1969. An index to measure weather-induced stress of trees associated with outbreaks of psyllids in Australia. Ecology 50:905–909.
- 1972. Tree flora of Malaya: a manual for foresters. Forest Research Institute of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 2007. Projected distributions of novel and disappearing climates by 2100 AD. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 104:5738–5742. , , and .
- 2007. Effects of resource availability on tolerance of herbivory: a review and assessment of three opposing models. Am. Nat. 169:443–454. , and .
- 2002. Plant diversity in tropical forests: a review of mechanisms of species coexistence. Oecologia 130:1–14.