The work was supported by the Des Lee Collaborative Vision and by two grants from the Field Research for Conservation program of the Saint Louis Zoo, as well as grants to I. Levin and P. Parker from the Whitney R. Harris World Ecology Center and the Frank M. Chapman Memorial Fund of the American Museum of Natural History. I. Levin completed this work while supported by a Dissertation Fellowship from the University of Missouri – St. Louis.
Philopatry drives genetic differentiation in an island archipelago: comparative population genetics of Galapagos Nazca boobies (Sula granti) and great frigatebirds (Fregata minor)
Article first published online: 4 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 11, pages 2775–2787, November 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(11): 2775–2787
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 4 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 21 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUN 2012
- Des Lee Collaborative Vision
- Saint Louis Zoo
- Whitney R. Harris World Ecology Center
- American Museum of Natural History
- University of Missouri – St. Louis
- 1989. Differential responses of boobies and other seabirds in the Galapagos to the 1986–1987 El Niño Southern Oscillation event. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 52:209–216.
- 2006. The origin and diversification of Galapaogs Mockingbirds. Evolution 62:370–382. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. IBD (Isolation By Distance): a program for analyses of isolation by distance. J. Hered. 93:153–154.
- 2005. Population genetics of the Galapagos Hawk (Buteo galapagoesnsis): genetic monomorphism within isolated populations. Auk 122:1210–1224. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Phylogeography of the Galápagos hawk (Buteo galapagoensis): a recent arrival to the Galápagos Islands. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 39:237–247. , , , , and .
- 2008. Genome-wide analysis of microsatellite polymorphism in chicken circumventing the ascertainment bias. Genome Res. 18:881–887. , and .
- 1996. Modulation of non-templated nucleotide addition by Taq DNA polymerase: primer modifications that facilitate genotyping. Biotechniques 20:1004–1006, 1008–1010. , , and .
- 2008. Molecular taxonomy of Brazilian tyrant-flycatchers (Passeriformes: Tyrannidae). Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:119–1177. , , , , and .
- 2004. Great frigatebirds, Fregata minor, choose mates that are genetically similar. Anim. Behav. 68:1229–1236. , and .
- 1997. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144:2001–2014. , and .
- 2003. Inter-island movements and population differentiation in a pelagic seabird. Mol. Ecol. 12:2835–2843. , , , , and .
- 2008. Microsatellite primers for relatedness and population structure in great frigatebirds (Pelecaniformes: Fregatidae). Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:1399–1401. , , and .
- 2009. Genetic structure within and between island populations of the flightless cormorant (Phalacrocorax harrisi). Mol. Ecol. 18:2103–2111. , , , and .
- 1995. Microsatellite evolution – directionality of bias. Nat. Genet. 11:360–362. , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetic analyses under Linux and Windows. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:564–567. , and .
- 2009. Isolation and characterization of microsatellite loci from blue-footed boobies (Sula nebouxii). Conserv. Genet. Resour. 1:159–162. , , , and .
- 2004. First record of breeding by the Nazca Booby Sula granti on Lobos de Afuera Islands, Peru. Mar. Ornithol. 118:117–118.
- 1994. DNA primers for amplification of mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase subunit I from diverse metazoan invertebrates. Mol. Mar. Biol. Biotech. 3:294–299. , , , , and .
- 2002. Molecular support for species status of the Nazca booby (Sula granti). Auk 119:820–826. , , , , and .
- 2007. Mechanisms of population differentiation in seabirds. Mol. Ecol. 16:1765–1785. , , and .
- 2012. Satellite telemetry of great frigatebirds Fregata minor rearing chicks on Tern Island, North Central Pacific Ocean. Mar. Ornithol. 40:17–23. , , and .
- 2005. Isolating microsatellite DNA loci. Methods Enzymol. 395:202–222. , and .
- 2001. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices. Lausanne University, Laussane, Switzerland.
- 2011. Long-term isolation of a highly mobile seabird on the Galapagos. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 278:817–825. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignement editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp. Ser. 41:95–98.
- 2003. Biological identifications through DNA barcodes. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 270:313–321. , , , and .
- 2010. Differentiation with drift: a spatio-temporal genetic analysis of Galapagos mockingbird populations (Mimus spp.). Philos. Transact. R. Soc. Lond. B 365:1127–1138. , , , and .
- 2004. Limited dispersal by Nazca boobies Sula granti. J. Avian Biol. 35:46–53. , and .
- 2005. HP-rare 1.0: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic richness. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:187–189.
- 2009. DnaSP v5: a software for comprehensive analysis of DNA polymorphism data. Bioinformatics 25:1451–1452. , and .
- 1988. Isolation and molecular characterization of a highly polymorphic centromeric tandem repeat in the family Falconidae. Genomics 2:14–24. , , , , , , et al.
- 1985. Population bottlenecks and nonequilibrium models in population genetics Ii. Number of alleles in a small population that was formed by a recent bottleneck. Genetics 111:675–690. , and .
- 2002. Great Frigatebird (Fregata minor). in A. Poole and F. Gill, eds. The birds of North America online. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY. Retrived from the Birds of North America online. Available at http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/681 (accessed January 21, 2012). , and .
- 2008. The seabird paradox: dispersal, genetic structure and population dynamics in a highly mobile, but philopatric albatross species. Mol. Ecol. 17:1658–1673. , , and .
- 2010a. Isolation and characterization of 15 microsatellite loci for red-footed (Sula sula), blue-footed (S. nebouxii) and Peruvian (S. variegata) boobies. In molecular ecology resources primer development consortium. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:404–408. , , , and .
- 2010b. Comparative phylogeography of brown (Sula leucogaster) and red-footed boobies (S. sula): the influence of physical barriers and habitat preference on gene flow in pelagic seabirds. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 54:883–896. , , , , and .
- 2011. Mechanisms of global diversification in the brown booby (Sula leucogaster) revealed by uniting statistical phylogeographic and multilocus phylogenetic methods. Mol. Ecol. 20:2835–2850. , , and .
- 1972. Genetic distance between populations. Am. Nat. 106:283–292.
- 2008. Low genetic diversity and lack of population structure in the endangered Galápagos penguin (Spheniscus mendiculus). Conserv. Genet. 9:1413–1420. , , , and .
- 2012. Reliability of genetic bottleneck tests for detecting recent population declines. Mol. Ecol. 21:3403–3418. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Comparative landscape genetics and the adaptive radiation of Darwin's finches: the role of peripheral isolation. Mol. Ecol. 14:2943–2957. , , , and .
- 1998. Geographic variation and reassessment of species limits in the “Masked” Boobies of the eastern Pacific Ocean. Wilson Bull. 110:155–170. , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2004. DISTRUCT: a program for the graphical display of population structure. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:137–138.
- 1989. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York. , , and .
- 2006. Morphological Variation and Genetic Structure of Galapagos Dove (Zenaida Galapagoensis) Populations: issues in Conservation for the Galapagos Bird Fauna. Wilson J. Ornithol. 118:194–207. , , and .
- 2012. Understanding the speciation of the Galapagos flycatcher (Myiarchus magnirostris). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 2:244–254. , and .
- 1995. A measure of population subdivision based on microsatellite allele frequencies. Genetics 139:457–462.
- 2002. Current status of and threats to the terrestrial biodiversity of Galapagos. Pp. 30–47 in R. Bensted-Smith, ed. A biodiversity vision for the Galapagos Islands. Charles Darwin Foundation and World Wildlife Fund, Puerto Ayora, Ecuador. , , , and .
- 1999. Primers for a PCR-based approach to mitochondrial genome sequencing in birds and other vertebrates. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 12:105–114. , , , , and .
- 1989. Statistical method for testing the neutral mutation hypothesis by DNA polymorphism. Genetics 123:585–595.
- 2010a. Isolation and characterization of ten microsatellite loci in Blue-footed (Sula nebouxii) and Peruvian Boobies (Sula variegata). J. Ornithol. 151:525–528. , , , and .
- 2010b. Panmixia and high genetic diversity in a Humboldt Current endemic, the Peruvian Booby (Sula variegata). J. Ornithol. 152:623–630. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Could specialization to cold-water upwelling systems influence gene flow and population differentiation in marine organisms? A case study using the blue-footed booby, Sula nebouxii. J. Biogeogr. 38:883–893. , , , and .
- 2011. HapStar: automated haplotype network layout and visualization. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 11:151–153. , and .
- 2008. Population genetics of Galápagos land iguana (genus Conolophus) remnant populations. Mol. Ecol. 17:4943–4952. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Nazca Booby Sula granti and Brewster's Brown Booby Sula leucogaster brewsteri in the Hawaiian Islands and Johnston and Palmyra atolls. Mar. Ornithol. 71:67–71. , , , and .
- 2006. Postbreeding movements of frigatebirds tracked with satellite telemetry. Condor 108:220–225. , , , , , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for an analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 2003. Bayesian inference of recent migration rates using multilocus genotypes. Genetics 163:1177–1191. , and .
- 2012. Overnight foraging trips by chick-rearing Nazca boobies Sula granti and the risk of attack by predatory fish. Ibis 154:61–73. , , , , , and .