David Comont supported by an Aberystwyth University Ph.D. studentship to fund this research. Dylan Gwynn-Jones supported by UV4Growth Cost funding.
Acclimation and interaction between drought and elevated UV-B in A. thaliana: Differences in response over treatment, recovery and reproduction
Article first published online: 27 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 11, pages 2695–2709, November 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(11): 2695–2709
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 27 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 23 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 AUG 2012
- 2001. The effect of drought and ultraviolet radiation on growth and stress markers in pea and wheat. Plant, Cell Environ. 24:1337–1344. , , , and .
- 2010. Decline and recovery of total column ozone using a multimodel time series analysis. J. Geophys. Res. 115:1–23. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Effects of solar ultraviolet radiation on terrestrial ecosystems. Patterns, mechanisms, and interactions with climate change. Photochem. Photobiol. Sci. 10:226–241. , , , , and .
- 2000. Fine structure, carbohydrates and photosynthetic pigments of sugar maize leaves under UV-B radiation. Environ. Exp. Bot. 43:121–130. , and .
- 2009. Accumulation of Flavonoids in an ntra ntrb Mutant Leads to Tolerance to UV-C. Molecular Plant 2:249–258. , , , , and .
- 1996. Effects of soil water deficit at different growth stages on rice growth and yield under upland conditions. 2. Phenology, biomass production and yield. Field Crops Research 48:47–55. , and .
- 2001. Growth stage based phenotypic analysis of Arabidopsis: a model for high throughput functional genomics in plants. The Plant Cell Online 13:1499–1510. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Repair of DNA damage induced by solar UV. Photosynth. Res. 81:105–112.
- 2003. Effects of elevated soil copper on phenology, growth and reproduction of five ruderal plant species. Environ. Pollut. 122:361–368. , , and .
- 1986. Action spectra and their key role in assessing biological consequences of solar UV-B radiation change. Pp. 87–111 in R. C. Worrest and M. M. Caldwell, eds. Stratospheric ozone reduction, solar ultraviolet radiation and plant life. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , , , and .
- 2007. Terrestrial ecosystems, increased solar ultraviolet radiation, and interactions with other climate change factors. Photochem. Photobiol. Sci. 6:252–266. , , , , and .
- 2007. Effects of UV-B radiation on seed yield of Glycine max and an assessment of F1 generation progeny for carryover effects. Physiol. Plant. 131:378–386. , , , and .
- 2000. Plasticity to light cues and resources in Arabidopsis thaliana: testing for adaptive value and costs. Evolution 54:1982–1994. , , and .
- 2007. The interactive effects of enhanced UV-B radiation and soil drought on spring wheat. South African Journal of Botany 73:429–434. , , , , and .
- 1998. Drought-Induced Effects on Nitrate Reductase Activity and mRNA and on the Coordination of Nitrogen and Carbon Metabolism in Maize Leaves. Plant Physiol. 117:283–292. , , , and .
- 2008. An illustrated gardener's guide to transgenic Arabidopsis field experiments. New Phytol. 180:545–555. , , , and .
- 2009. Higher trends but larger uncertainty and geographic variability in 21st century temperature and heat waves. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 106:15555–15559. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Carbon and nitrogen metabolism in barley plants exposed to UV-B radiation. Physiol. Plant. 116:200–205. , , , and .
- 2000. Plant sugar-response pathways. Part of a complex regulatory web. Plant Physiol. 124:1532–1539.
- 2011. Genotype-dependent responses of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) seedlings to drought, UV-B radiation and their combined stresses. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 10:4046–4056. , , , and .
- 2007. Arabidopsis thaliana plants acclimated to low dose rates of ultraviolet B radiation show specific changes in morphology and gene expression in the absence of stress symptoms. New Phytol. 175:255–270. , , , , and .
- 2010. UV radiation reduces epidermal cell expansion in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana. J. Exp. Bot. 61:4339–4349. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010) Global increase in UV irradiance during the past 30 years (1979–2008) estimated from satellite data. J. Geophys. Res. 115. doi:10.1029/2009JD012219. [Published online] (
- 2004. Epidermal Lignin Deposition in Quinoa Cotyledons in Response to UV-B Radiation. Photochem. Photobiol. 79:205–210. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Mechanisms of plant desiccation tolerance. Trends Plant Sci. 6:431–438. , , and .
- 2002. Effects of ultraviolet radiation on plant cells. Micron 33:179–197.
- 2002. A modern tool for classical plant growth analysis. Ann. Bot. 90:485–488. , , , and .
- 2008. Plant stress and human health: do human consumers benefit from UV-B acclimated crops? Plant Sci. 175:449–458. , , , , and .
- 2007. The AtGenExpress global stress expression data set: protocols, evaluation and model data analysis of UV-B light, drought and cold stress responses. Plant Journal 50:347–363. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. UV-B-induced photomorphogenesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J. 15:667–674. , , and .
- 2004. Influence of PAR and UV-A in Determining Plant Sensitivity and Photomorphogenic Responses to UV-B Radiation. Photochem. Photobiol. 79:307–315.
- 2009. Metabolomic and physiological responses reveal multi-phasic acclimation of Arabidopsis thaliana to chronic UV radiation. Plant, Cell Environ. 32:1377–1389. , , , , and .
- 1995. Arabidopsis mutants lacking phenolic sunscreens exhibit enhanced ultraviolet-B injury and oxidative damage. Plant Physiol. 109:1159–1166. , , and .
- 2000. Population differences in Trifolium repens L. response to ultraviolet-B radiation: foliar chemistry and consequences for two lepidopteran herbivores. Oecologia 122:20–28. , , , , and .
- 2005. Solar UV-B radiation on growth, photosynthesis and the xanthophyll cycle in tropical acacias and eucalyptus. Environ. Exp. Bot. 54:121–130. , , and .
- 2001. Combined effects of drought and high temperature on water relations of wheat and sorghum. Plant Soil 233:179–187. , and .
- 2001. Arabidopsis thaliana and its wild relatives: a model system for ecology and evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:693–700.
- 2006. Abiotic stress, the field environment and stress combination. Trends Plant Sci. 11:15–19.
- 2010. Expression of bacterial tyrosine ammonia-lyase creates a novel p-coumaric acid pathway in the biosynthesis of phenylpropanoids in Arabidopsis. Planta 232:209–218. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Delayed reproduction in Arabidopsis thaliana improves fitness in soil with suboptimal phosphorus availability. Plant, Cell Environ. 31:1432–1441. , and .
- 2001. Effects of sugar on vegetative development and floral transition in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 127:252–261. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Ecological roles of solar UV radiation: towards an integrated approach. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:48–55. , and .
- 2002 Ecology and evolutionary biology of Arabidopsis. Pp. ??? in C. R. Somerville, E. M. Meyerowitz, eds. The Arabidopsis book. American Society of Plant Biologists, Rockville, MD, doi/10.1199/tab, 3.
- 1995. Reaction norms of Arabidopsis (Brassicaceae). III. Response to nutrients in 26 populations from a worldwide collection. Am. J. Bot. 82:1117–1125. , and .
- 2004. Response of maize (Zea mays L.) nitrate reductase to UV-B radiation. Plant Sci. 167:107–116. , , , and .
- 2000. Elevated UV-B radiation reduces genome stability in plants. Nature 406:98–101. , , , , , and .
- 2008. The modified flavonol glycosylation profile in the Arabidopsis rol1 mutants results in alterations in plant growth and cell shape formation. The Plant Cell Online 20:1470–1481. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. When Defense Pathways Collide. The Response of Arabidopsis to a Combination of Drought and Heat Stress. Plant Physiol. 134:1683–1696. , , , , , and .
- 1997. UV-B as an environmental factor in plant life: stress and regulation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12:22–28. , , , and .
- 2005. Depletion of stratospheric ozone over the Antarctic and Arctic: responses of plants of polar terrestrial ecosystems to enhanced UV-B, an overview. Environ. Pollut. 137:428–442. , , and .
- 2009. Differential responses of two Stellaria longipes ecotypes to ultraviolet-B radiation and drought stress. Flora-Morphology, Distribution, Functional Ecology of Plants 204:593–603. , , , and .
- 2004. Biochemical and ultrastructural changes in leaves of potato plants grown under supplementary UV-B radiation. Plant Sci. 167:925–935. , , , and .
- 2000. The Interaction of Ultraviolet-B Radiation and Water Deficit in Two Arabidopsis thaliana Genotypes. Ann. Bot. 85:571–575. , , , and .
- 2001. A meta-analysis of plant field studies simulating stratospheric ozone depletion. Oecologia 127:1–10. , , and .
- 1997. Ultraviolet-B radiation effects on the Mediterranean ruderal Dittrichia viscosa. Plant Ecol. 128:109–112. , and .
- 2006. Profiling of phenolic glycosidic conjugates in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana using LC/MS. Metabolomics 2:197–219. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Field Study of the Interaction between Solar Ultraviolet-B Radiation and Drought on Photosynthesis and Growth in Soybean 1. Plant Physiol. 92:141–146. , and .
- 2000. Flavonoids accumulate in leaves and glandular trichomes of Phillyrea latifolia exposed to excess solar radiation. New Phytol. 148:69–77. , , , , and .
- 2007. Physiological responses of wheat seedlings to drought and UV-B radiation. Effect of exogenous sodium nitroprusside application. Russ. J. Plant Physiol. 54:676–682. , and .
- 2008. Influence of Water Stress on Endogenous Hormone Contents and Cell Damage of Maize Seedlings. J. Integr. Plant Biol. 50:427–434. , , , and .