Fine-scale selection by ovipositing females increases egg survival
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 11, pages 2763–2774, November 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(11): 2763–2774
- Issue online: 8 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 19 AUG 2012
- 2011. Garter snakes do not respond to TTX via chemoreception. Chemoecology, doi: 10.1007/s00049-011-0094-2. , , , and .
- 1968. Investigations on the skin toxin of the adult rough-skinned newt, Taricha granulosa. Copeia 1968:307–313. .
- 1985. Coping with a capricious environment: a population study of a rare pierid butterfly. Ecology 66:152–161. , and .
- 1984. Effect of notonectids (Hemiptera: Notonectidae) on mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae): predation or selective oviposition? Environ. Entomol. 13:531–538.
- 1994. Quantitative genetics and the role of the environment provided by relatives in behavioral evolution. Pp. 67–100 in C. Boake, ed. Quantitative genetic studies of behavioral evolution. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , and .
- 1991. Choice of oviposition site and egg load assessment by a treefrog. Herpetologica 47:308–315.
- 1925. Ecological studies on aquatic insects. III. Adaptations of caddisfly larvae to swift streams. Ecology 6:123–137. , and .
- 2011. Survival and growth of the caddisfly Limnephilus flavastellus after predation on toxic eggs of the Rough-skinned Newt (Taricha granulosa). Can. J. Zool. 89:483–489. , , and .
- 2012. Female newts (Taricha granulosa) produce tetrodotoxin laden eggs after long term captivity. Toxicon 60:1057–1062, doi: 10.1016/j.toxicon.2012.07.017. , , , , and .
- 1985. Oviposition site selection: an aid to rapid growth and development in the tiger swallowtail butterfly, Papilio glaucus. Oecologia 66:68–73. , and .
- 2003. Tetrodtoxin levels in eggs of the rough-skin newt, Taricha granulosa, are correlated with female toxicity. J. Chem. Ecol. 29:1729–1739. , , and .
- 2009. Oviposition depth in response to egg parasitism in the water strider: high-risk experience promotes deeper oviposition. Anim. Behav. 78:935–941. , and .
- 2010. Cost of oviposition site selection in a water strider Aquarius paludum insularis: egg mortality increases with oviposition depth. J. Insect Physiol. 56:646–649. , and .
- 2012. Interfamily variation in amphibian early life-history traits: raw material for natural selection? Ecol. Evol. 2:1637–1643, doi: 10.1002/ece3.287. , , , and .
- 1984. Enemy free space and the structure of ecological communities. Biol. J. Linnean Soc. 23:269–286. , and .
- 1989. The evolution of maternal characters. Evolution 43:485–503. , and .
- 2010. Environmental constraints on oviposition limit egg supply of a stream insect at multiple scales. Oecologia 163:373–384. , , and .
- 2004. Nest-site preference and maternal effects on offspring growth. Behav. Ecol. 15:816–823. , and .
- 1999. Oviposition site selection by the predatory midge Aphidoletes aphidimyza (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae). Environ. Entomol. 28:622–627. , and .
- 1979. Ecological diversity in Trichoptera. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 24:185–208. , and .
- 1995. Tetrodotoxin as a Pheromone. Nature 378:563–564.
- 2009. Breeding-site selection by the poison frog Ranitomeya biolat in Amazonian bamboo forests: an experimental approach. Can. J. Zool. 87:453–463. , , , and .
- 1995. Oviposition site selection in three species of European newts (Salamandridae) genus Triturus. Amphib. Reptil. 16:265–272.
- 1986. Interactions between intraspecific competition and predation in an amphibian predator-prey system. Ecology 67:713–720.
- 1964. Tarichatoxin-tetrodotoxin: a potent neurotoxin. Science 144:1100–1110. , , , and .
- 2004. Enemy-free space maintains swallowtail butterfly host shift. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 101:18048–18052.
- 2002. Sequestration of defensive substances from plants by Lepidoptera. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 47:57–92.
- 1983. Amphibians and reptiles of the Pacific Northwest. Univ. of Idaho Press, Moscow, Idaho. , , and .
- 1974. Why are embryos so tasty. Am. Nat. 108:581–592. , and .
- 2003. Do predator chemical cues affect oviposition site selection in newts? Herpetol. J. 13:189–193. , and .
- 1988. Iridoid glycosides as oviposition stimulants for the buckeye butterfly, Junonia coenia (Nymphalidae). J. Chem. Ecol. 14:917–928. , and .
- 1991. Evidence of a chemically-mediated avoidance-response of ovipositing insects to blue-gills and green frog tadpoles. Copeia 1991:234–239. , and .
- 1966. Latitudinal gradients in species diversity: a review of concepts. Am. Nat. 100:33–46.
- 1997. Abiotic and biotic factors influencing nest-site selection by Halictus rubicundus, a ground-nesting halictine bee. Ecol. Entomol. 22:319–328. , and .
- 1982. Population differentiation in Euphydryas editha butterflies: larval adaptation to different hosts. Evolution 36:581–590.
- 2010. Putting eggs in one basket: ecological and evolutionary hypotheses for variation in oviposition-site choice. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 41:39–57. , and .
- 2004. Fine-tuned phenotypes: tadpole plasticity under 16 combinations of predators and competitors. Ecology 85:172–179.
- 2007. Getting out alive: how predators affect the decision to metamorphose. Oecologia 152:389–400.
- 1996. Oviposition site choice and life history evolution. Am. Zool. 36:205–215. .
- 1989. Choice of oviposition site by Hyla chrysoscelis: role of predators and competitors. Ecology 70:220–228. , and .
- 1977. Environmental heterogeneity and plant species diversity: a hypothesis. Am. Nat. 111:376–381.
- 2004. Larval performance and oviposition site preference along a predation gradient. Ecology 85:2094–2099. , , and .
- 2008. Time limitation, egg limitation, the cost of oviposition, and lifetime reproduction by an insect in nature. Am. Nat. 172:486–496. , , , , and .
- 2005. Oviposition site selection in a complex and variable environment: the role of habitat quality and conspecific cues. Oecologia 142:316–325. , and .
- 2000. Optimization of adult performance determines host choice in a grass miner. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 267:2065–2069. , , and .
- 1996. Maternal manipulations of offspring phenotypes via nest-site selection in an oviparous lizard. Ecology 77:1808–1817. , and .
- 2011. Selection for enemy-free space: eggs placed away from the host plant increase survival of a neotropical ithomiine butterfly. Ecol. Entomol. 36:667–672. , , and .
- 1983. Determinants of multiple host use by a phytophagous insect population. Evolution 37:389–403.
- 1988. Heritability of oviposition preference and its relationship to offspring performance within a single insect population. Evolution 42:977–985. , , and .
- 2004. Roles of food quality and enemy-free space in host use by a generalist insect herbivore. Ecology 85:2747–2753. , , , and .
- 2002. Experimentally testing nest site selection: fitness trade-offs and predation risk in turtles. Ecology 83:2136–2144.
- 1988. Variation in preference and specificity in monophagous and oligophagous swallowtail butterflies. Evolution 42:118–128.
- 1991. Evolution of oviposition behavior and host preference in Lepidoptera. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 36:65–89. , and .
- 1983. The role of nest-site availability and territorial behaviour in limiting the breeding density of kestrels. J. Anim. Ecol. 52:635–645.
- 2008. Trichoptera families. Pp. 35–58 in R. W. Merritt, K. W. Cummings and M. B. Berg, eds. An introduction to the aquatic insects of North America. Kendall/Hunt, Dubuque, IA. , and .
- 1981. Generalist vs. specialist oviposition behaviour in Papilio machaon (Lepidoptera) and functional aspects on the hierarchy of oviposition preferences. Oikos 36:163–170.
- 1984. Egg-laying patterns in butterflies in relation to their phenology and the visual apparency and abundance of their host plants. Oecologia 63:23–29.
- 2008. Enemy-free space and habitat-specific host specialization in a butterfly. Oecologia 157:287–294. , and .
- 1981. Thermal influences on oviposition in the montane butterfly Euphydryas gillettii. Oecologia 50:342–346.
- 1998. Nest-site selection: microhabitat variation and its effects on the survival of turtle embryos. Ecology 79:1884–1892.
- 2009. What are maternal effects (and what are they not)?. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 364:1107–1115. , and .
- 1998. Evolutionary consequences of indirect genetic effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:64–69. , , , , and .
- 2006. The scent of danger: Tetrodotoxin (TTX) as an olfactory cue of predation risk. Ecol. Monogr. 76:585–600. , , , , , and .