No funding information provided.
Warming off southwestern Japan linked to distributional shifts of subtidal canopy-forming seaweeds
Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 11, pages 2854–2865, November 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(11): 2854–2865
- Issue online: 8 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 25 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 28 JUN 2012
- 2012. Seaweed and man. Pp. 471–493 in C. Wiencke and K. Bischof, eds. Seaweed biology, ecological studies, 219. Springer-Verlga, Berlin, Heidelberg. , , and .
- 2012. Seaweed assemblage changes in the eastern Cantabrian Sea and their potential relationship to climate change. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 99:108–120. , , , , and .
- 2004. Estimating scale-dependency in disturbance impacts: El Niños and giant kelp forests in the northeast Pacific. Oecologia 138:439–447.
- 2006. Species composition of Sargassum beds on the coast of Ogisaki, Kochi, Southern Japan. Bull. Mar. Sci. Fish., Kochi Univ. 24:1–9. , , , , and .
- 2006. The impact of climate change in coastal marine systems. Ecol. Lett. 9:228–241. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Complex interactions in a rapidly changing world: responses of rocky shore communities to recent climate change. Clim. Res. 37:123–133. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The distributions of a wide range of taxonomic groups are expanding polewards. Glob. Change Biol. 12:450–455. , , , , and .
- 2010. The impact of climate change on the world's marine ecosystem. Science 328:1523–1528. , and .
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group 1 to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Geneva, Switzerland, http://www.ippc.ch.
- Japan Meteorological Agency. 2011. Climate change monitoring report 2010. Japan Meteorological Agency, Pp. 98. http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/en/NMHS/ccmr/CCMR2010/low.pdf
- 1981. Extensive deterioration of the Ecklonia kelp stands and death of the plants, and fluctuations in abundance of the abalone off Toji, southern Izu peninsula. Bull. Shizuoka Pref. Fish. Exp. Stn. 15:19–30. , , and .
- 2002. Recovery of coral populations after the 1998 bleaching on Shiraho Reef, in the southern Ryukyus, NW Pacific. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 239:93–103. , , , and .
- 1994. Feeding damage by herbivore fish on cultivated Undaria undarioides. Wakayama Pref. Fish. Exp. Stn. Rep. 26:12–16.
- 2008. Distributional records of Sargassaceae the marine algae in Ehime Prefecture and the distributional study of Sargassum carpophyllum J. Agardh. Bull. Ehime Pref. Sci. Mus. 13:3–16.
- 1979. Observation of algal distribution in Kochi prefecture. Pp. 355–373 in Y. Hanamura, ed. Report of the Observation of Distribution of the Algal Beds of the Coastal Sea Area in Setouchi Inland Sea. Nansei National Fisheries Research Institute, Hiroshima. , , and .
- 1996. Physiological characteristics of Eisenia bicyslis and Ecklonia cava Kjellman (Phaeophyta). Jpn. J. Phycol. (Sourui) 44:87–94. , , and .
- 2008. Surface current and vertical thermal structure on the continental slope in Tosa Bay. J. Oceanogr. 64:81–91. , , , , and .
- 2004. Giant kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera) survival in deep water (25–40 m) during El Niño of 1997–1998 in Baja California, Mexico. Bot. Mar. 47:367–372. , and .
- 1999. Giant kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera, Phaeophyceae) recruitment near its southern limit in Baja California after mass disappearance during ENSO 1997–1998. J. Phycol. 35:1106–1112. , , and .
- 2012. Three decades of high-resolution coastal sea surface temperatures reveal more than warming. Nat. Commun. 3(704):1–13. , and .
- 2007. Do distributional sifts of northern and southern species of algae match the warming pattern? Glob. Change Biol. 13:2592–2604. , , , , and .
- 2000. Decline of afforested Ecklonia cava community by grazing of herbivorous fish Siganus fuscescens. Fisheries Engineering 37:135–142. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. 190 Years of Sargassum taxonomy, facing the advent of DNA phylogenies. Bot. Rev. 77:31–70. , and .
- 2009. Taxonomic revision and geographic distribution of the subgenus Sargassum (Fucales, Phaeophyceae) in the western and central Pacific islands based on morphological and molecular analyses. J. Phycol. 45:1213–1227. , , and .
- 1999a. Genesis and evolution of 1997–98 El Nino. Science 283:950–954.
- 1999b. The child prodigy of 1997–98. Nature 398:559–562.
- 2006. ENSO as an integrating concept in earth science. Science 314:1740–1745. , , and .
- 2011. Kelp distribution in the northwest Atlantic Ocean under a changing climate. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 400:90–98. , and .
- 1984. Intergeneric and inter specific hybridization between four species of Eisenia and Ecklonia. Bull. Fac. Fish., Nagasaki Univ. 56:15–20.
- 2009. Impact of oceanic warming on the distribution of seaweeds in polar and cold-temperature waters. Bot. Mar. 52:617–638. , , , and .
- 1999. Grazing of the brown alga Ecklonia cava by three hervivorous fishes on the coast of Nakagi, South Izu, central Japan. Jpn. J. Phycol. (Sourui) 47:105–112. , and .
- Nature Conservation Bureau of Environment Agency of Japan, Marine Park center of Japan. 1994. The Report of the Marine Biotic Environment Survey in the 4th National Survey on the Natural Environment vol.2 Algal and Sea-Grass Beds. Tokyo, Pp. 400.
- 2004. Marine algae in the vicinity of Biological Institute on Kuroshio Kochi Prefecture Japan. Kuroshio Biosphere 1:1–6.
- 2001. North Pacific atmospheric and SST anomalies in 1997: links to ENSO? Fish. Oceanogr. 10:69–80. , , and .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37:637–669.
- 1995. Biogeography of Sargassum (Phaeophyta) in the Pacific Basin. Taxonomy of Economic Seaweeds with Reference to Some Pacific Species 5:107–144.
- 2008. Under-resourced, under threat. Science 320:1294–1295. , and .
- 2005. Shifts in southern endpoints of distribution in rocky intertidal species along the south-eastern Pacific coast. J. Biogeogr. 32:203–209. , and .
- 2008. Attributing physical and biological impacts to anthropogenic climate change. Nature 453:353–357. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Responses of the Kuroshio and the Kuroshio Extension to global warming in a high-resolution climate model. Geophys. Res. Lett. 32:14617. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The occurrence of a large barren-ground “Isoyake” off the Tei coast in Tosa Bay, southern Japan. Bull. Mar. Sci. Fish., Kochi Univ. 20:29–33. , , and .
- 2001. Comparison in biomass, density and age composition of Ecklonia cava populations in two localities with different temperature conditions. Suisanzoshoku 49:9–14. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Decline of the Ecklonia-cava-population associated with increased seawater temperatures in Tosa Bay, southern Japan. Fish. Sci. 70:189–191. , , , and .
- 2010. Marine range shifts and species introductions: comparative spread rates and community impacts. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 19:303–316. , , and .
- 2012. Fish response to expanding tropical Sargassum beds on the temperate coasts of Japan. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 464:209–220. , , , and .
- 2007. Temporal and spatial comparison of the relative abundance of macro algae across the Mariana Archipelago between 2003 and 2005. Phycologia 46:187–197. , and .
- 1999. Distributional survey of seaweed beds in Kochi prefecture sea area. Kochi Pref. Fish. Exp. Stn. Rep. 95:106–119.
- 2002. Ecological responses to recent climate change. Nature 416:389–395. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011a. Seaweed communities in retreat from ocean warming. Curr. Biol. 21:1828–1832. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011b. Biogenic habitat structure of seaweeds change along a latitudinal gradient in ocean temperature. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 400:264–271. , , , and .
- 1998. The 1997–1998 mass bleaching event around the world. Pp. 15–38 in C. Wilkinson, ed. Status of coral reefs of the world. Australian Institute of Marine Science, Townsville.
- 2005. Changes to the elevational limits and extent of species ranges associated with climate change. Ecol. Lett. 8:1138–1146. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Enhanced warming over the global subtropical western boundary currents. Nature Climate Change 2:161–166. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Biology of herbivorous fish in the coastal areas of western Japan. Pp. 181–190 in A. Ishimatsu and H. J. Lie, eds. Coastal environmental and ecosystem issues of the East China sea. Nagasaki University, TERRAPUB. , , , and .
- 1983. Japanese species of Sargassum subgenus Bactrophycus (Phaeophyta, Fucales). J. Fac. Sci. Hokkaido Univ. 5:99–246.
- 1998. Marine algae of Japan. Uchidaroukakuho, Tokyo. Pp. 1222.
- 2004. Fucales. Pp. 111–132 in M. Ohno, ed. Applied Phycology. Uchidaroukakuho, Tokyo.