Australian Research Council Research grant LP0775076 to D. R., R. H. and L. J. P. B. was supported by a US National Science Foundation DEB 0822626 and DEB 1145999.
Biogeographic models of gene flow in two waterfowl of the Australo-Papuan tropics
Article first published online: 9 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 11, pages 2803–2814, November 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(11): 2803–2814
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 9 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 28 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 MAR 2012
- Australian Research Council. Grant Number: LP0775076
- US National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: DEB 0822626, DEB 1145999
- 2002. Polymorphic microsatellite loci for paternity analysis in the Madagascar paradise flycatcher (Terpsiphone mutata: Aves). Mol. Ecol. Notes 2:287–289. , and .
- 2010. Considering spatial and temporal scale in landscape-genetic studies of gene flow. Mol. Ecol. 19:3565–3575. , , , , , , et al.
- 1979. Bird migration across the Torres Strait with relevance to arbovirus dissemination. Pp. 9–30 in T. Petr, ed. Ecology of the Purari river catchment. Purari River (WABO) Hydroelectric Scheme Environmental Studies 10. Office of Environment and Conservation, Port Moresby, PNG.
- 2000. Phylogeography. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 2004. Phylogeny and diversification of the largest avian radiation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101:11040–11045. , , , , and .
- 1986. Birds of New Guinea. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ. , , and .
- 2004. Effect of unsampled populations on the estimation of population sizes and migration rates between sampled populations. Mol. Ecol. 13:827–836.
- 2006. Comparison of Bayesian and maximum likelihood inference of population genetic parameters. Bioinformatics 22:341–345.
- 2007. Estimation of the population scaled mutation rate from microsatellite data. Genetics 177:1967–1968.
- 2010. Unified framework to evaluate panmixia and migration direction among multiple sampling locations. Genetics 185:313–326. , and .
- 2006. A review of the avifauna of the Trans Fly eco-region: the status, distribution, habitats and conservation of the region's birds. Report to South Pacific Program of World Wildlife Fund Project no: 9S0739.02.
- 2010. Biogeography of Australia's last frontier: the monsoon tropics. J. Biogeogr. 37:201–216. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Dinucleotide repeat polymorphisms in waterfowl (family Anatidae): characterization of a sex-linked (Z-specific) and 14 autosomal loci. Anim. Genet. 29:322–332. , , , and .
- 2010. Historical versus contemporary migration in fragmented populations. Mol. Ecol. 19:5321–5323.
- 2010. Similarity of contemporary and historical gene flow among highly fragmented populations of an endangered rattlesnake. Mol. Ecol. 19:5345–5358. , and .
- 2003. The Howard & Moore complete checklist of the birds of the world. 3rd ed. Christopher Helm, Lond. (ed.)
- 2004. The Australo-Papuan bird migration system: another consequence of Wallace's Line. Emu 104:95–108.
- 1983. Birds of the Torres Strait: an annotated lost and biogeographical analysis. Emu 83:207–234. , , and .
- 2011. Biogeographic barriers in north-western Australia: an overview and standardisation of nomenclature. Aust. J. Zool. 59:270–272. , , and .
- 2002. A Gondwanan origin of passerine birds supported by DNA sequences of the endemic New Zealand wrens. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269:235–241. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes – application to human mitochondrial-DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 1997. Isolation and characterization of novel waterfowl microsatellite loci: cross-species comparisons and research applications. Mol. Ecol. 6:199–202. , and .
- 1982. Waterfowl in Australia. Angus and Robertson, Sydney, Australia.
- 1999. Isolation of microsatellite loci from a social lizard, Egernia stokesii, using a modified enrichment procedure. J. Hered. 90:301–304. , , , and .
- 1998. Movement patterns of great, intermediate and little egrets from Australian breeding colonies. Corella 22:37–46. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Isolation and characterization of microsatellite markers in musk duck (Biziura lobata: Aves), and their application to other waterfowl species. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:249–252. , and .
- 1996. Waterbird surveys of the middle Fly River floodplain, Papua New Guinea. Wildl. Res. 23:557–569. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Breeding biology of the reverse-dichromatic parrot, Eclectus roratus. J. Zool. (London) 259:197–208. , and .
- 2002. Genetic assessment of connectivity among marine populations. Bull. Mar. Sci. 70:273–290. , , , and .
- 2005. Characterization of 35 novel microsatellite DNA markers from the duck (Anas platyrhynchos) genome and cross-amplification in other birds. Genet. Sel. Evol. 37:455–472. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Speciational history of Australian grass finches (Poephila) inferred from thirty gene trees. Evolution 59:2033–2047. , and .
- 2009. A tangled, rampantly paraphyletic tale of two teal: population history of the Grey and Chestnut Teal of Australia. J. Avian Biol. 40:430–439. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Bayes factors. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 90:773–795. , and .
- 2005. Ducks, Geese and Swans. Bird families of the World, 16. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- 2010. The impact of Pleistocene climatic and landscape changes on Australian birds: a test using the pied butcherbird (Cracticus nigrogularis). Emu 110:285–295. , , and .
- 1984. Contemporary ornithogeography: the Australian avifauna, its relationships and evolution. Pp. 457–468 in M. Archer and G. Clayton, eds. Vertebrate zoogeography and evolution in Australasia. Hesperian Press, Perth, Australia.
- 2011. Identifying crucial gaps in our knowledge of the life-history of avian influenza viruses – an Australian perspective. Emu 111:103–112. , , and .
- 2002. Polymerase chain reaction amplification of DNA from aged blood stains: quantitative evaluation of the “suitability for purpose” of four filter papers as archival media. Anal. Chem. 74:1863–1869. , , , , and .
- 2010. Quantifying the lag time to detect barriers in landscape genetics. Mol. Ecol. 19:4179–4191. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic impoverishment of the last black grouse (Tetrao tetrix) population in the Netherlands: detectable only with a reference from the past. Mol. Ecol. 17:1897–1904. , , , , and .
- 1970. Studies of waterfowl (Anatidae) in North Queensland. 4. Movements. Queensland J. Agric. Anim. Sci. 27:411–424.
- 2003. Isolation and characterization of 18 microsatellites in the Peking duck (Anas platyrhynchos) and their application in other waterfowl species. Mol. Ecol. Notes 3:224–227. , , , and .
- 1969. Notes on the taxonomy of Neositta (Results of the Harold Hall Australian Expedition, No. 18). Emu 69:169–174.
- 2007. Birds of Papua. Pp. 654–688 in A. J. Marshall and B. M. Beehler, eds. The ecology of Papua part one. Periplus Editions, Singapore. , and .
- 1990. Handbook of Australian, New Zealand and Antarctic Birds. Volume 1 ratites to ducks. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- 2008. Will Wallace's Line save Australia from avian influenza? Ecol. Soc. 13:41. Available at http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol13/iss2/art41/ (accessed September 26, 2012). , , , , and .
- 1975. A list of the birds known from Roti and adjacent islands (Lesser Sunda Islnds). Zool. Meded. 49:115–139.
- 2004. GENOTYPE and GENODIVE: two programs for the analysis of genetic diversity of asexual organisms. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:792–794. , and .
- 1990. Distribution and abundance of magpie geese, Anseranas semipalmata, in the Alligator Rivers region, Northern Territory. Aust. J. Ecol. 15:307–320. , , and .
- 2011. Mitochondrial evidence for panmixia despite perceived barriers to gene flow in a widely distributed waterbird. J. Hered. 102:584–592. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Ten polymorphic autosomal microsatellite loci for Eider duck Somateria mollissima and their cross-species applicability among waterfowl species (Anatidae). Mol. Ecol. Notes 3:250–252. , and ,
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2004. Documentation for the STRUCTURE software Version 2. Chicago, IL. Available at http://www.pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/software/structure2_1.html (accessed September 26, 2012). , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2008. Animal movement in dynamic landscapes: interaction between behavioural strategies and resource distributions. Oecologia 156:465–477. , , and .
- 2006. Australasia's bird fauna today-origins, and evolutionary development. Pp. 413–458 in J. R. Merrick, M. Archer, G. M. Hickey and M. S. Y. Lee, eds. Evolution and biogeography of Australasian vertebrates. Auscipub, Sydney, Australia.
- 1999. The directory of Australian birds. CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne, Australia. , and .
- 2000. An economic method for fluorescent labeling of PCR fragments. Nat. Biotech. 18:233–234.
- 2010. Field guide to the birds of Australia. 8th ed. Viking, Camberwell, U.K. , and .
- 2008. ADZE: a rarefaction approach for counting alleles private to combinations of populations. Bioinformatics 24:2498–2504. , , and .
- 1991. Distribution and abundance of selected waterbird species in the Gulf Plains and Western Cape York during 1990. Final report to Queensland National Parks and Wildlife Service, Brisbane, Australia.
- 2010. Multilocus analysis of honeyeaters (Aves: Meliphagidae) highlights spatio-temporal heterogeneity in the influence of biogeographic barriers in the Australian monsoonal zone. Mol. Ecol. 19:2980–2994. , , and .
- 2010. Risk-based surveillance of avian influenza in Australia's wild birds. Wildl. Res. 37:134–144.
- 2004. The role of wild birds in the transmission of avian influenza for Australia: an ecological perspective. Emu 104:109–124. , , , , and .
- 2010. Satellite telemetry and seasonal movements of Magpie Geese (Anseranas semipalmata) in tropical northern Australia. Emu 110:160–164. , , and .
- 1972. Bridge and barrier: the natural and cultural history of Torres Strait. Department of Geomorphology and Australian National Univ. Press, Canberra, Australia.
- 2010. Recognizing the temporal distinctions between landscape genetics and phylogeography. Mol. Ecol. 19:2605–2608.
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .