This work was supported by the U.S. Geological Survey and the U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Dakota Prairie Grasslands.
Habitat selection and ranges of tolerance: how do species differ beyond critical thresholds?
Article first published online: 9 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 11, pages 2815–2828, November 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(11): 2815–2828
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 9 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2012
- U.S. Geological Survey and the U.S.D.A. Forest Service.
- 1994. Effects of habitat fragmentation on birds and mammals in landscapes with different proportions of suitable habitat: a review. Oikos 71:355–366.
- 2007. Thresholds in songbird occurrence in relation to landscape structure. Conserv. Biol. 21:1046–1058. , , and .
- 2010. Thresholds in forest bird occurrence as a function of the amount of early-seral broadleaf forest at landscape scales. Ecol. Appl. 20:2116–2130. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Are fragments islands? Landscape context and density-area relationships in boreal forest birds. Am. Nat. 162:343–357. , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretical approach. Springer, New York, USA. , and .
- 2012. Do mature forest birds prefer early-successional habitat during the post-fledging period? For. Ecol. Manage. 264:1–9. , , and .
- 1988. Locally weighted regression: an approach to regression analysis by local fitting. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 83:596–610. , and .
- 1999. An introduction to PROC LOESS for local regression. Proceedings of the 24th SAS Users Group International Conference, Paper 273. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- 2006. Proximate and landscape factors influence grassland bird distributions. Ecol. Appl. 16:1062–1075. , and .
- 2011. Seeking parsimony in landscape metrics. J. Wildl. Manage. 75:692–701. , and .
- 2006. Estimates of breeding bird populations in the Sheyenne National Grassland, North Dakota. Prairie Nat. 38:39–61. , , and .
- 2010. Area-sensitivity by forest songbirds: theoretical and practical implications of scale-dependency. Ecography 33:921–931. , , , and .
- 2003. Spatial autocorrelation and red herrings in geographical ecology. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 12:53–64. , , and .
- ESRI. 2004. ArcGIS version 9.2. Earth Systems Research Institute, Redlands, California, USA.
- 2001. How much habitat is enough? Biol. Conserv. 100:65–74.
- 2009. Ecological thresholds: an assessment of methods to identify abrupt changes in species-habitat relationships. Ecography 32:1075–1084. , and .
- 1992. Landscape ecology of birds breeding in temperate forest fragments. Pp. 443–454 in J. M. Hagan and D. W. Johnston, eds. Ecology and conservation of neotropical migrant landbirds. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, D.C, USA. , and .
- 2002. A conceptual genealogy of fragmentation research: from island biogeography to landscape ecology. Ecol. Appl. 12:321–334.
- 2009. The theories of island biogeography in metapopulation dynamics. Pp. 186–213 in J. B. Losos and R. E. Ricklefs, eds. The theory of island biogeography revisited. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1997. Changes in breeding bird populations in North Dakota: 1967 to 1992–93. Auk 114:74–92. , and .
- 2003. Are forest birds categorised as “edge species” strictly associated with edges? Ecography 26:514–520. , , and .
- 1963. An equilibrium theory of insular zoogeography. Evolution 17:373–387. , and .
- 1980. Habitat, phenology and growth of selected sandhill range plants. Dissertation, North Dakota State Univ., Fargo, North Dakota, USA.
- 2010. Bird status and distribution on the Sheyenne National Grassland. Report to Dakota Prairie Grasslands, internal report. U.S. Forest Service, Bismarck, ND, USA. , and .
- 2002. FRAGSTATS: spatial pattern analysis program for categorical maps. Available at http://www.umass.edu/landeco/research/fragstats/fragstats.html. Accessed November 27, 2011. , , , and .
- 2007. FragStatsBatch for ArcGIS 9 software. Available at http://www.arcscripts.esri.com/. Accessed November 27, 2011.
- 2000. Fragments are not islands: patch vs landscape perspectives on songbird presence and abundance in a harvested boreal forest. Ecography 23:209–223. , , and .
- 2001. Akaike's information criterion in generalized estimating equations. Biometrics 57:120–125.
- 2005. Edge and area effects on the occurrence of migrant forest songbirds. Conserv. Biol. 19:1157–1167. , , , and .
- 2005. Landscape-level thresholds of habitat cover for woodland-dependent birds. Biol. Conserv. 24:317–337. , , and .
- 1989. Habitat area requirements of breeding forest birds of the middle Atlantic states. Wildl. Monogr. 103:1–34. , , and .
- SAS Institute. 1996. SAS/STAT software, release 6.12. SAS Institute, Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- 2011. The distribution of a threatened migratory bird species in a patchy landscape: a multi-scale analysis. Landscape Ecol. 26:397–410. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Are shrubland birds edge specialists? Ecol. Appl. 18:1325–1330. , and .
- 1985. Vascular flora of Ransom, Richland & Sargent counties, North Dakota. Prairie Nat. 17:193–240. , and .
- 1972. Population estimates of breeding birds in North Dakota. Auk 89:766–788. , and .
- 2011. Use of early-successional managed northern forest by mature-forest species during the post-fledging period. Condor 113:817–824. , , , and .
- 2009. Threshold models in restoration and conservation: a developing framework. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:271–277. , and .
- 1998. On forest-interior species, edge avoidance, area sensitivity, and dogmas in avian conservation. Auk 115:801–805.
- 2011. Influence of condition and habitat use on survival of post-fledging songbirds. Condor 113:400–411. , and .
- 1981. Effects of forest fragmentation on avifauna of the eastern deciduous forest. Pp. 125–205 in R. L. Burgess and D. M. Sharpe, eds. Forest island dynamics in man-dominated landscapes. Springer, New York, NY. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Empirical patterns of the effects of changing scale on landscape metrics. Landscape Ecol. 17:761–782. , , , and .
- 2011. Thresholds in the long-term responses of breeding birds to forest cover and fragmentation. Biol. Conserv. 143:952–962. , and .