Ancient DNA and genetic data collection and analysis was funded by the US National Marine Fisheries Service and North Slope Borough Wildlife Management Authority in addition to several small awards to HCR. SEA was funded through a fellowship provided by NRDC. The sampling of whales in Greenland was funded by the Greenland Institute of Natural Resources, the Commission for Scientific Research in Greenland, the Danish Cooperation for the Environment in the Arctic under the Danish Ministry of Environment and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
Gene flow on ice: the role of sea ice and whaling in shaping Holarctic genetic diversity and population differentiation in bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus)
Article first published online: 18 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 11, pages 2895–2911, November 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(11): 2895–2911
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 18 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 21 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 7 MAY 2012
- US National Marine Fisheries Service
- North Slope Borough Wildlife Management
- Greenland Institute of Natural Resources
- Commission for Scientific Research in Greenland
- Danish Ministry of Environment
- Department of Fisheries and Oceans
- 2009. Comparing evolutionary patterns and variability in the mitochondrial control region and cytochrome b in three species of Baleen whales. J. Mol. Evol. 68:97–111. , and .
- 2007. DNA evidence for historic population size and past ecosystem impacts of gray whales. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:15162–15167. , , and .
- 2009. Mitochondrial and nuclear genetic variation across calving lagoons in eastern North Pacific gray whales (Eschrichtius robustus). J. Hered. 100:34–46. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Pre-whaling genetic diversity and population ecology in eastern Pacific gray whales: insights from ancient DNA and stable isotopes. PLoS ONE 7:e35039. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0035039. , , and .
- 2005. Serial SimCoal: a population genetic model for data from multiple populations and points in time. Bioinformatics 21:1733–1734. , , , and .
- 1993. Cetacean mitochondrial DNA control region: sequences of all extant baleen whales and two sperm whale species. Mol. Biol. Evol. 10:960–970. , , and .
- 1993. Abundant mitochondrial DNA variation and world-wide population structure in humpback whales. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90:8239–8243. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Hierarchical structure of mitochondrial DNA gene flow among humpback whales Megaptera novaeangliae, world-wide. Mol. Ecol. 5:283–287. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. Roy. Stat. Soc. Ser. B 57:289–300. , and .
- 1998. Population genetic structure of North Atlantic, Mediterranean Sea and Sea of Cortez fin whales, Balaenoptera physalus (Linneaeus 1758): analysis of mitochondrial and nuclear loci. Mol. Ecol. 7:585–599. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Genetic variation in Holocene bowhead whales from Svalbard. Mol. Ecol. 16:2223–2235. , , , and .
- 2006. Assessment of the Bering-Chukchi-Beaufort Seas stock of bowhead whales using Bayesian model averaging. J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 8:225–239. , and .
- 1997. Matriarchal genetic population structure of North American beluga whales Delphinapterus leucas (Cetacea: Monodontidae). Mol. Ecol. 6:1033–1046. , , and .
- 2009. Rapid response of a marine mammal species to Holocene climate and habitat change. PLoS Genet. 5:e1000554. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1000554. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Ancient DNA reveals Holocene loss of genetic diversity in a South American rodent. Biol. Lett. 1:423–426. , , , and .
- COSEWIC. 2009. COSEWIC assessment and update status report on the Bowhead Whale Balaena mysticetus, Bering-Chukchi-Beaufort population and Eastern Canada-West Greenland population, in Canada. Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, Ottawa. vii + 49 pp. (www.sararegistry.gc.ca/status/status_e.cfm).
- 2007. Ancient DNA reveals lack of postglacial habitat tracking in the arctic fox. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:6726–9. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Habitat use by bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) of the Eastern Canadian Arctic. DFO Science Advisory Secretariat Research Document 2008/082. Available via http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/publications/resdocs-docrech/2008/2008_082-eng.htm, 27 pp. , and .
- 1996. A history of sea ice in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago based on postglacial remains of the bowhead whale (Balaena mysticetus). Arctic 49:235–255. , , and .
- 2003. Analysis of Population Subdivision. Pp. 713–750 in D. Balding, M. Bishop and C. Cannings, eds. Handbook of statistical genetics . 2nd ed. Vol. 2. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., New York.
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 1990. Isabella Bay, Baffin Island: an important historical and present-day concentration area for the endangered bowhead whale (Balaena mysticetus) of the eastern Canadian Arctic. Arctic 43:137–152.
- 2007. Sea ice occurrence predicts genetic isolation in the Arctic fox. Mol. Ecol. 16:4241–4255. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Abundance and population trend (1978–2001) of Western Arctic bowhead whales surveyed near Barrow, Alaska. Mar. Mamm. Sci.20:755–773. , , , and .
- 2010. Population genetics of bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) in the western Arctic. Arctic 63:1–12. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Three recent ice entrapments of Arctic cetaceans in West Greenland and the eastern Canadian High Arctic. NAMMCO Sci. Publ. 4:143–148. , , , and .
- 2006. Satellite tracking: bowhead whales in Baffin Bay. Mar. Mamm. Sci. 22:34–45. , , and .
- 2011. The Northwest Passage opens for bowhead whales. Biol. Lett. 8:270–273. doi:10.1098/rsbl.2011.0731. , , , and .
- 2007. Integration within the Felsenstein equation for improved Markov chain Monte Carlo methods in population genetics. PNAS 104:2785–2790. , and .
- 2008. Commercial and subsistence harvests of bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) in eastern Canada and West Greenland. DFO Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Research Document 2008/008. Available via http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/Publications/ResDocs-DocRech/2008/2008_008-eng.htm, 59 pp.
- 2010. Commercial and subsistence harvests of bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) in eastern Canada and West Greenland. J. Cetacean Res. Manage. (accepted January 2010) 11:185–216.
- 1994. Ecology and genetics of whales and dolphins. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 25:377–399.
- 1998. Geneti structure of cetacean poulations in sympatry, parapatry and mixed assemblages: implications for conservation policy. J. Hered. 98:451–458.
- 2009. Genetics in geographically structured populations: defining, estimating and interpreting Fst. Nat. Rev. Genet. 10:639–650. , and .
- 2008. How few whales were there after whaling? Inference from contemporary mtDNA diversity. Mol. Ecol. 17:236–251. , , , and .
- 1969. Evolution of protein molecules. Pp. 21–132 in H. N. Munro, ed. Mammalian protein metabolism. Academic Press, New York. , and .
- 2008. Quantifying the sensitivity of Arctic marine mammals to climate-induced habitat change. Ecol. Appl. 18(Suppl):S97–S125. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Genetic analyses (mtDNA and microsatellites) of Okhotsk and Bering/Chukchi/Beaufort Seas populations of bowhead whales. J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 7:107–111. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Mitochondrial genetic variation in bowhead whales in the western Arctic. J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 10:2. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Sex-biased dispersal in sperm whales: contrasting mitochondrial and nuclear genetic structure of global populations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266:347–354. , , , and .
- 2002. Occurrence, behavior, and genetic diversity of bowhead whales in the western Sea of Okhotsk, Russia. MS thesis, Texas A&M Univ., College Station, TX. 114 pp.
- 1996. Use of DNA microsatellites in beluga whale (Delphinapterus leucas) population genetics. Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 2115, v + 17pp. , , , and .
- 1986. Bowhead whale. Pp. 83–93 in D. Haley, ed. Marine mammals of the eastern North Pacific and Arctic waters, second edition. Pacific Search Press, Seattle.
- 1979. A processual consideration of Thule whale bone houses. Pp. 301–323 in A. P. McCartney, ed. Thule Eskimo culture: an anthropological retrospective. Archaeological Survey of Canada, Mercury Series 88. National Museum of Man, Ottawa.
- 1993. Distribution and movement. Pp. 313–386 in J. J. Burns, J. J. Montague and C. J. Cowles, eds. The bowhead whale. Society for Marine Mammalogy, Lawrence, Kansas. , and .
- 2008. Climate change and the molecular ecology of arctic marine mammals. Ecol. Appl. 18:S56–S76.
- 1995. Distribution of mtDNA haplotypes in North Atlantic humpback whales: the influence of behavior on population structure. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 116:1–10. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Radiation and speciation of pelagic organisms during periods of global warming: the case of the common minke whale, Balaenoptera acutorostrata. Mol. Ecol. 16:1481–1495. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Modeltest: testing the model of DNA substitution. Bioinformatics 14:817–818. , and .
- 2003. Whales before whaling. Science 301:508–510. , and .
- 1997. An effective method for isolating DNA from historical specimens of baleen. Mol. Ecol. 6:677–681. , , , , and .
- 2000. World-wide genetic differentiation of Eubalaena: questioning the number of right whale species. Mol. Ecol. 9:1793–1802. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The effect of differential reproductive success on population genetic structure: correlations of life history with matrilines in humpback whales of the Gulf of Maine. J. Hered. 93:389–399. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Commercial whaling in the North Atlantic sector. Pp. 511–577 in J. J. Burns, J. J. Montague and C. J. Cowles, eds. The bowhead whale. Society for Marine Mammalogy, Lawrence, Kansas.
- 2003. DnaSP, DNA polymorphism analyses by the coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics 19:2496–2497. , , , and .
- 1989. Molecular coloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd ed. Vol. 1. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY. , , and .
- 1994. Thule Inuit bowhead whaling: a biometrical analysis. Pp. 281–310 in D. Morrison and J.-L. Pilon, eds. Threads of Arctic prehistory: papers in honour of William E Taylor Jr. Archaeological Survey of Canada Mercury Series, 149, Canadian Museum of Civilization, Ottawa. , and .
- 2003. Out of Alaska: reconstructing the social structure of prehistoric Canadian Thule culture. Pp. 103–121 in J. Habu, J. M. Savelle, S. Koyama and H. Hongo, eds. Senri ethnological studies no 63. National Museum of Ethnology, Osaka. , and .
- 1993. Assessment of the population structure of western North Atlantic right whales (Eubalaena glacialis) based on sighting and mtDNA data. Can. J. Zool. 71:339–345. , , , and .
- 2000. Arlequin: a software for population genetics data analysis . Ver 2.000. Genetics and Biometry Laboratory, Department of Anthropology, University of Geneva , , and .
- 2004. Rise and fall of the Beringian steppe bison. Science 306:1561–1565. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Subsistence whaling. Pp. 579–629 in J. J. Burns, J. J. Montague and C. J. Cowles, eds. The bowhead whale. Society for Marine Mammalogy, Lawrence, Kansas. , and .
- 2007. Generation length and percent mature estimates for IUCN assessments of cetaceans. National Marine Fisheries Service Administrative Report LJ-07-01. Available via http://swfsc.noaa.gov/uploadedfiles/divisions/prd/publications/, 24 pp. , , , and .
- 2009. Sea ice variations in the central Canadian Arctic Archipelago during the Holocene. Quatern. Sci. Rev. 28:1354–1366. , , , , and .
- 1999. The prehistory of Inuit and Yupik whale use. Revista de Arqueología Americana 16:99–154.
- 2002. Social and ritual determinants of whale bone transport at a Classic Thule winter site in the Canadian Arctic. Int. J. Osteoarchaeol. 12:65–75.
- 2004. GENECAP: a program for analysis of multilocus genotype data for non-invasive sampling and capture-recapture population estimation. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:783–785. , and .
- 1993. Stock sizes prior to commercial whaling. Pp. 387–407 in J. J. Burns, J. J. Montague and C. J. Cowles, eds. The bowhead whale. Society for Marine Mammalogy, Lawrence, Kansas. , and .