Deglaciation explains bat extinction in the Caribbean
Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 3045–3051, December 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(12): 3045–3051
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 14 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 17 JUN 2012
- NSF. Grant Number: DEB-0949759
- 2008. SRTM30_plus: data fusion of SRTM land topography with measured and estimated seafloor topography. Available via http://topex.ucsd.edu/WWW_html/srtm30_plus.html , and .
- 1995. Reef drowning during the last deglaciation: evidence for catastrophic sea-level rise and ice-sheet collapse. Geology 23:4–8. , and .
- 2003. Depositional history and evolution of the Paso del Indio Site, Vega Baja, Puerto Rico. Geoarchaeology 18:625–648. , , and .
- 2004. Phylogeny and biogeography of Caribbean mammals. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 81:373–394.
- 2012. West Indian mammals: the old, the new, and the recently extinct. Pp. 157–202 in B. D. Patterson and L. P. Acosta, eds. Bones, clones, and biomes: an extended history of recent neotropical mammals. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , and .
- 2005. Bats of Puerto Rico: an island focus and a Caribbean perspective. Texas Tech University Press, Lubbock. , , , and .
- 1998. The geology of Eleuthera Island, Bahamas; a Rosetta stone of Quaternary stratigraphy and sea-level history. Quatern. Sci. Rev. 17:333–355.
- 1998. A 10,300 14C yr record of climate and vegetation change from Haiti. Quatern. Res. 52:159–170. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Vertebrados post-glaciales en un residuario fósil de Tyto alba Scopoli (Aves: Tytonidae) en el occidente de Cuba. Rev. Mex. Mastozool. 9:85–112. , , and .
- 2006. Skeletal extension rates of cenozoic Caribbean reef corals. Palaios 21:262–271. , and .
- 1989. A review and analysis of the bats of the West Indies. Pp. 635–644 in C. A. Woods, ed. Biogeography of the West Indies, past, present, and future. Sandhill Crane Press, Gainesville, FL.
- 1951. Fossil Chiroptera collected by H.E. Anthony in Jamaica, 1919–1920. Am. Mus. Novit. 1519:1–29. , and .
- 1967. The theory of island biogeography. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , and .
- 2009. Insulae infortunatae: establishing a chronology for late quaternary mammal extinctions in the West Indies. Pp. 169–193 in G. Haynes, ed. American megafaunal extinctions at the end of the pleistocene. Springer, Heidelberg.
- 1999. Requiem æternam: the last five hundred years of mammalian species extinctions. Pp. 333–371 in R. D. E. Macphee, ed. Extinctions in near time: causes, contexts, and consequences. Kluwer Academic/Plenum, New York. , and .
- 2005. New genus and species of fossil bat (Chiroptera: Phyllostomidae) from Cuba. Carib. J. Sci. 41:22–27. , and .
- 1998. Body size variability and a Sangamonian extinction model for Amblyrhiza, a West Indian megafaunal rodent. Quatern. Res. 50:80–89. , , and .
- 2002. A late Quaternary paleoecological record from caves of southern Jamaica, West Indies. J. Cave Karst Stud. 64:117–125. , , and .
- 1989. Fossil Chiroptera and Rodentia from the Bahamas, and the historical biogeography of the Bahamian mammal fauna. Pp. 685–740 in C. A. Woods, ed. Biogeography of the West Indies: past, present, and future. Sandhill Crane Press, Gainesville, FL.
- 1994. Late quaternary fossil vertebrates from the Cayman Islands. Pp. 465–580 in M. A. Brunt and J. E. Davies, eds. The Cayman Islands: natural history and biogeography. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- 2001. Patterns of extinction in West Indian bats. Pp. 369–407 in C. A. Woods and F. E. Sergile, eds. Biogeography of the West Indies: patterns and perspectives. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- 1986. Extinction and the zoogeography of West Indian land mammals. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 28:167–203. , and .
- 2008. segmented: an R package to fit regression models with broken-line relationships. R News 8:20–25.
- 2001. Periods of wet climate in Cuba; evaluation of express in karst of Sierra de San Carlos. Pp. 217–226 in V. Markgraf, ed. Interhemispheric climate linkages. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , , and .
- 1981. Zoogeography of West Indian vertebrates in relation to Pleistocene climatic cycles. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 12:75–98. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2010. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna.
- 2007. Exceptionally well preserved late quaternary plant and vertebrate fossils from a blue hole on Abaco, The Bahamas. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:19897–19902. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. A new fossil bat (Chiroptera: Phyllostomidae) from a Quaternary cave deposit in Cuba. Carib. J. Sci. 39:371–377. , and .
- 2005. A revision of extant Greater Antillean bats of the genus Natalus. Am. Mus. Novit. 3493:1–22. , , and .
- 2009) Holocene mammal extinctions. Pp. 41–61 in S. T. Turvey, ed. Holocene extinctions. Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K. (
- 1998. Bahamian coral reefs yield evidence of a brief sea-level lowstand during the last interglacial. Carbonates Evaporites 13:10–22. , , , and .
- 1952. Additional notes on fossil and subfossil bats from Jamaica. J. Mammal. 33:171–179.
- 2010. Macroecology of Caribbean bats: effects of area, elevation, latitude, and hurricane-induced disturbance. Pp. 216–264 in T. H. Fleming and P. A. Racey, eds. Island bats: evolution, ecology, and conservation. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , , , and .
- 2000. Timing of the last glacial maximum from observed sea-level minima. Nature 406:713–716. , , , , and .