Resurrected Ceriodaphnia quadrangula highlight differences between pheno- and genotypic expressions
Article first published online: 2 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 2989–2998, December 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(12): 2989–2998
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 2 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 9 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 APR 2012
- Centre for Environmental Research in Umeå
- 1999. Transgenerational induction of defences in animals and plants. Nature 401:60–63. , , and .
- 2011. Relationships between planktivore community capacity (PCC) and cladoceran microfossils in northern Swedish lakes. Fundam. Appl. Limnol. 178:315–324. , , , , and .
- 2006. Multiple predator defence strategies in Daphnia pulex and their relation to native habitat. J. Plankton Res. 28:571–584. , , and .
- 2000. Planktivory by bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) on Leptodora kindti in a small North American lake. Hydrobiologia 437:101–106. , and .
- 2007. The contribution of differential hatching success to the fitness of species and interspecific hybrids. Hydrobiologia 594:83–89. , , , and .
- 2003. Egg banks in freshwater zooplankton: evolutionary and ecological archives in the sediment. Hydrobiologia 491:65–84. , and .
- 2011. Predator-induced morphological plasticity across local populations of a freshwater snail. PLoS One 6:e21773. , , and .
- 1998. Interspecific variation in the abundance, production, and emergence of Daphnia diapausing eggs. Ecology 79:1699–1710.
- 2007. The Baldwin effect and genetic assimilation: revisiting two mechanisms of evolutionary change mediated by phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 61:2469–2479.
- 1995. Age and survivorship of diapausing eggs in a sediment egg bank. Ecology 76:1706–1711. , , , and .
- 1999. Lake ecosystems – rapid evolution revealed by dormant eggs. Nature 401:446–446. , , , , , , et al.
- 1984. Chaoborus predation on typical and spined morphs of Daphnia pulex – behavioral observations. Limnol. Oceanogr. 29:487–494. , and .
- 2008. Testing the grain-size model for the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 62:1381–1389.
- 2008. Influence of growth history on the accumulation of energy reserves and winter mortality in young fish. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 65:2149–2156. , , , , and .
- 2002. Induced morphological defense: evidence from whole-lake manipulation experiments. Can. J. Zool. 80:199–206. , and .
- 1981. Long-term replacement cycles in Cladoceran communities – a history of predation. Ecology 62:216–233.
- 1999. A new approach to historical reconstruction: combining descriptive and experimental paleolimnology. Limnol. Oceanogr. 44:1232–1247. , , and .
- 1981. Embryological induction and predation ecology in Daphnia pulex. Limnol. Oceanogr. 26:219–223. , and .
- 2003. Chemically induced anti-predator defences in plankton: a review. Hydrobiologia 491:221–239. , and .
- 2007. Interclonal variation in diel horizontal migration behaviour of the water flea Daphnia magna – searching for a signature of adaptive evolution. Hydrobiologia 594:117–129. , , , and .
- 1987. A note on the hatching and viability of Ceriodaphnia ephippia collected from lake sediment. Hydrobiologia 145:309–314.
- 1996. Size-specific interactions in lake systems: predator gape limitation and prey growth rate and mortality. Ecology 77:900–911. , , , and .
- 2004a. Cannibalism in a size-structured population: energy extraction and control. Ecol. Monogr. 74:135–157. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004b. Trophic dynamics in a whole lake experiment: size-structured interactions and recruitment variation. Oikos 106:263–274. , , , and .
- 2003. The role of phenotypic plasticity in driving genetic evolution. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 270:1433–1440. , , and .
- 1999. The photobehaviour of Daphnia spp. as a model to explain diel vertical migration in zooplankton. Biol. Rev. 74:397–423.
- 2008. To sink or float: the fate of dormant offspring is determined by maternal behaviour in Daphnia. Freshwater Biol. 53:569–576. , and .
- 2010. Toward a population genetic framework of developmental evolution: the costs, limits, and consequences of phenotypic plasticity. BioEssays 32:71–81. , , , , and .
- 1992. Predator-mediated plasticity of prey life-history and morphology – Chaoborus americanus predation on Daphnia pulex. Am. Nat. 139:229–247.
- 2007. Resurrecting the ghost of competition past with dormant zooplankton eggs. Am. Nat. 169:416–422. , , and .
- 2000. Components of additive variance in life-history traits of Daphnia hyalina: seasonal differences in the response to predator signals. Oikos 88:129–138. , and .
- 2009. Fluctuating population dynamics promotes the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Am. Nat. 174:176–189. , , and .
- 2003. Differential responses of zooplankton populations (Bosmina longirostris) to fish predation and nutrient-loading in an introduced and a natural sockeye salmon nursery lake on Kodiak Island, Alaska, USA. J. Paleolimnol. 30:183–193. , and .
- 1993. Neckteeth formation in Daphnia pulex as an example of continuous phenotypic plasticity – morphological effects of Chaoborus kairomone concentration and their quantification. J. Plankton Res. 15:1309–1318.