Population density does not influence male gonadal investment in the Least Killifish, Heterandria formosa
Article first published online: 22 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 2935–2942, December 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(12): 2935–2942
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 22 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 JUL 2012
- National Science Foundation award. Grant Number: DEB 08-22547
- 2009. Strong inbreeding depression in male mating behavior in a poeciliid fish. J. Evol. Biol. 22:1396–1406. , , , and .
- 2010. Inbreeding avoidance in a poecilid fish (Heterandria formosa). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 64:1403–1414. , , and .
- 2011. Costs and benefits of polyandry in a placental poeciliid fish Heterandria formosa are in accordance with the parent-offspring conflict theory of placentation. J. Evol. Biol. 24:2600–2610. , , and .
- 1998. Species-wide populaiton structure in a southeastern U.S. freshwater fish, Heterandria formosa: Gene flow and biogeography. Evolution 52:183–193.
- 1989. Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , and .
- 2011. Sperm number and velocity affect sperm competition success in the guppy (Poecilia reticulata). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 65:813–821. , , and .
- 2003. Testis size increases with colony size in cliff swallows. Behav. Ecol. 14:569–575. , and .
- 2009. Experimental manipulation of sexual selection promotes greater male mating capacity but does not alter sperm investment. Evolution 63:926–938. , , , and .
- 2011. Natural levels of polyandry: differntial sperm storage and temporal changes in sperm competition intensity in wild yellow dung flies. Funct. Ecol. 25:1079–1090. , , , and .
- 2010. Among-population covariation between sperm competition and ejaculate expenditure in frogs. Behav. Ecol. 21:322–328. , , , and .
- 2010. Geographic variation in sperm traits reflects predation risk and natural rates of multiple paternity in the guppy. J. Evol. Biol. 23:1331–1338. , , , , and .
- 1999a. Geographic variation in sperm production by Trinidadian guppies. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266:2083–2087. , and .
- 1999b. Male mating behaviour and sperm production characteristics under varying sperm competition risk in guppies. Anim. Behav. 58:1001–1006. , and .
- 2001. Patterns of sperm precedence and predictors of paternity in the Trinidadian guppy. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268:719–724. , and .
- 2011. Postcopulatory sexual selection. Pp. 197–208 in J. P. Evans, A. Pilastro and I. Schlupp, eds. Ecology and evolution of Poeciliid fishes. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago. , and .
- 2002. Female behaviour mediates male courtship under predation risk in the guppy (Poecilia reticulata). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 52:496–502. , , , and .
- 2003. Male mating behavior and ejaculate expenditure under sperm competition risk in the eastern mosquitofish. Behav. Ecol. 14:268–273. , , and .
- 1989. Sexual selection and secondary sexual differntiation in poeciliids: determinants of male mating success and the evolution of female choice. Pp. 91–123 in G. K. Meffe and F. F. Snelson Jr., eds. Ecology and evolution of livebearing fish (Poeciliidae). Prentice Hall, London.
- 1994. Associations between body-size, mating pattern, testis size and sperm lengths across butterflies. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 258:247–254.
- 1995. Continuous variation in reproductive strategy as an adaptive response to populaiton-density in the moth Plodia interpunctella. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 261:25–30.
- 2010. Sperm swimming velocity predicts competitive fertilization success in green swordtail Xiphophorus helleri. PLoS ONE 5:e12146. , , , and .
- 1981. Testis weight, body weigh and breeding system in primates. Nature 293:55–57. , , , and .
- 1997. Sperm competition in bats. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264:385–392.
- 1998. Testes mass in megachiropteran bats varies in accordance with sperm competition theory. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 44:169–177.
- 2001. Experimental evidence for testis size evolution via sperm competition. Ecol. Lett. 4:10–13. , and .
- 1984. Pseudoreplication and the design of ecological field experiments. Ecol. Monogr. 54:187–211.
- 1999. The comparative expression of life-history traits and its relationship to the numerical dynamics of four populations of the least killifish. J. Anim. Ecol. 68:595–616. , and .
- 2000. Genetic influences on experimental population dynamics of the least killifish. Ecol. Mon. 70:289–309. , , and
- 2008. Gamete traits influence the variance in reproductive success, the intensity of sexual selection, and the outcome of sexual conflict among congeneric sea urchins. Evolution 62:1305–1316.
- 2005. The influence of mating system on the intensity of parent-offspring conflict in primates. J. Evol. Biol. 18:509–515.
- 2006. Ejaculate investment in a promiscuous rodent, Peromyscus maniculatus: effects of population density and social role. Evol. Ecol. Res. 8:345–356. , and .
- 1985. Geographic-varaition in the sexual-behavior of the guppy, Poecilia reticulata (Peterss). Behaviour 95:164–179. , and .
- 1990. Risk sensitive courtship in the guppy (Poecilia reticulata). Behaviour 112:194–201. , and .
- 1998. Effects of temperature and salinity on the life history of the sailfin molly (Pisces: Poeciliidae): lipid storage and reproductive allocation. Oecologia 114:317–325. , and .
- 2008. Inter-population variation in multiple paternity and reproductive skew in the guppy. Mol. Ecol. 17:2975–2984. , , and .
- 1970. Sperm competition and its evolutionary consequences in insects. Biol. Rev. Camb. Philos. Soc. 45:525–576.
- 1982. Why are there so many tiny sperm? Sperm competition and the maintenance of the two sexes. J. Theor. Biol. 96:281–294.
- 1988. Sperm competition and the evolution of ejaculates: towards a theory base. Pp. 3–54 in T. R. Birkhead and A. P. Moller, eds. Sperm competition and sexual selection. Academic Press, London.
- 1998. Sperm competition and sexual selection in fishes. Pp. 435–463 in T. R. Birkhead and A. P. Møller, eds. Sperm competition and sexual selection. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , and .
- 2001. Males' evolutionary responses to experimental removal of sexual selection. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268:1071–1080. , , , and .
- 2001. Extrapair paternity and variance in reproductive success related to breeding density in Bullock's orioles. Anim. Behav. 62:519–525. , and .
- 2006. Variation in predation pressure as a mechanism underlying differences in numerical abundance between populations of the poeciliid fish Heterandria formosa. Oecologia 147:596–605. , , and .
- 2009. Do embryos influence maternal investment? Evaluating maternal-fetal coadaptation and the potential for parent-offspring conflict in placental fish. Evolution 63:2805–2815. , and .
- 2012. Assessing the roles of population density and predation risk in the evolution of offspring size in populations of a placental fish. Ecol. Evol. 2:1480–1490. , and .
- 2011. Do density-driven mating system differences explain reproductive incompatibilities between populations of a placental fish? Mol. Ecol. 20:4140–4151. , , and .
- 2011. Tactic-dependent plasticity in ejaculate traits in the swordtail Xiphophorus nigrensis. Biol. Lett. 7:733–735. , and .
- 2003. Multiple paternity and population genetic structure in natural populations of the poeciliid fish, Heterandria formosa. J. Evol. Biol. 16:1328–1336. , and .
- 1997. Sperm competition in fishes: The evolution of testis size and ejaculate characteristics. Am. Nat. 149:933–954. , , , and .
- 1994. Sneakers, satellites, and helpers – parasitic and cooperative behavior in fish reproduction. Adv. Study Behav. 23:1–100.
- 2004. Female resistance to male harm evolves in response to manipulation of sexual conflict. Evolution 58:1028–1037. , and .