Is the change of winter wheat yield under warming caused by shortened reproductive period?
Article first published online: 2 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 2999–3008, December 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(12): 2999–3008
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 2 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 15 MAY 2012
- Chinese Academy of Sciences. Grant Number: XDA05050502
- National Natural Science Foundation. Grant Number: 31000207
- 2003. Impact of climate change on Indian agriculture. J. Plant Biol. New Delhi 30:189–198.
- 2009. Appropriate experimental ecosystem warming methods by ecosystem, objective, and practicality. Agric. For. Meteorol. 149:1791–1799. , and .
- 2011. The impact of temperature variability on wheat yields. Glob. Change Biol. 17:997–1012. , , and .
- 1997. Effects of CO2 and temperature on growth and yield of crops of winter wheat over four seasons. Eur. J. Agron. 25:43–52. , , , , and .
- 2003. Tillage and seeding rate effects on wheat cultivars. Crop Sci. 43:210–218. , , and .
- 1978. The effect of temperature on kernel development in cereals. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 29:205–223. , and .
- 1978. Patterns of tillering and grain production of winter wheat at a wide range of plant densities. Neth. J. Agric. Sci. 26:383–398.
- 1968. The breeding of crop ideotypes. Euphytica 17:385–403.
- 2011. Heat Stress in Wheat during Reproductive and Grain-Filling Phases. Crit. Rev. Plant Sci. 30:491–507. , , , and .
- 2011. Climate impacts on agriculture: implications for crop production. Agron. J. 103:351–370. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Effects of Tillage and Residue Management on Soil Organic Carbon and Total Nitrogen in the North China Plain. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 76:230–240. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Flowering phenology in a species-rich temperate grassland is sensitive to warming but not elevated CO2. New Phytol. 178:815–822. , , , , and .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Pp. 996 in S. D. Solomon, M. Qin, Z. Manning, M. Chen, K. B. Marquis, M. Averyt, M. Tignor and H. L. Miller, eds. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2008. Analysis of yield-formation processes under no-till and conventional tillage for soft red winter wheat in the South-Central Region. Agron. J. 100:1026. , , , and .
- 2009. Soil quality impacts of residue removal for bioethanol production. Soil Tillage Res. 102:233–241.
- 2009. Climate change in Europe. 3. Impact on agriculture and forestry. A review. Agron. Sust. Dev. 29:433–446. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Contributions of climatic and crop varietal changes to crop production in the North China Plain, since 1980s. Glob. Change Biol. 16:2287–2299. , , , and .
- 2007. Impacts of Day Versus Night Temperatures on Spring Wheat Yields. Agron. J. 99:469–477. , and .
- 2011. Climate Trends and Global Crop Production Since 1980. Science 333:616–620. , , and .
- 2001. Acclimatization of soil respiration to warming in a tall grass prairie. Nature 413:622–625. , , , and .
- 2009. Terrestrial carbon-cycle feedback to climate warming: experimental evidence on plant regulation and impacts of biofuel feedstock harvest. Glob. Change Biol. Bioenergy 1:62–74. , , , and .
- 2008. Effects of post-anthesis heat stress and nitrogen levels on grain yield in wheat (T. durum and T. aestivum) genotypes. Int. J. Plant Prod. 2:257–267. , , , , and .
- 1989. Growth response of cultivars to conservation tillage in a continuous wheat cropping system. Agron. J. 81:923–929. , and .
- 2008. Climate change: can wheat beat the heat? Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 126:46–58. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Wheat Growth Response to Increased Temperature from Varied Planting Dates and Supplemental Infrared Heating. Agron. J. 104:7–16. , , , and .
- 2010. Growth and yield response of winter wheat to soil warming and rainfall patterns. J. Agric. Sci. 148:553–566. , , , and .
- 2004. Rice yields decline with higher night temperature from global warming. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101:9971–9975. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The impacts of climate change on water resources and agriculture in China. Nature 467:43–51. , , , , , and
- 1999. Temperatures and the growth and development of wheat: a review. Eur. J. Agron. 10:23–36. , and .
- 2008. Impact of nighttime temperature on physiology and growth of spring wheat. Crop Sci. 48:2372–2380. , , , , and .
- 2007. Global food security under climate change. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:19703–19708. , and .
- 2007. Divergence of reproductive phenology under climate warming. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:198–202. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Physiological traits to increase the yield potential of wheat. Pp. 379–415. in E. H. Satorre, and G. A. Slafer, eds. Wheat: Ecology and Physiology of Yield Determination. Food Product Press, New York. , , and .
- 1977. Factors influencing the rate and duration of grain filling in wheat. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 4:785–797. , , , and .
- 2012. Climate change, wheat productivity and water use in the North China Plain: A new super-ensemble-based probabilistic projection. Agric. For. Meteorol. doi: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2011.10.003. , and .
- 1987. Effects of radiation and temperature on tiller survival, grain number and grain yield in winter wheat. Ann. Bot. 59:413–426. , and .
- 2008. An Automatic Instrument to Study the Spatial Scaling Behavior of Emissivity. Sensors 8:800–816. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Effects of Asymmetric Warming on Contents and Components of Starch and Protein in Grains of Winter Wheat under FATI Facility. Acta Agron. Sin. 37:302–308 (In Chinese with English abstract). , , , , and .
- 2007. Crop and pasture response to climate change. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:19686–19690. , , and .
- 2011. Gas exchange and water relations of spring wheat under full-season infrared warming. Glob. Change Biol. 17:2113–2133. , , , and .
- 2009. Photosynthetic overcompensation under nocturnal warming enhances grassland carbon sequestration. Ecology 90:2700–2710. , , , and .
- 1996. The duration and rate of grain growth, and harvest index, of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) in response to temperature and CO2. J. Exp. Bot. 47:623–630. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Temperature variability and the yield of annual crops. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 82:159–167. , , , , and .
- 2011. Responses of time of anthesis and maturity to sowing dates and infrared warming in spring wheat. Field Crops Res. 124:213–222. , , , , and .
- 2008. Impact of recent climatic change on the yield of winter wheat at low and high altitudes in semi-arid northwestern China. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 127:37–42. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. System design of free air temperature increased (FATI) for field nighttime warming experiment and its effects on rice-wheat cropping system. Acta Agron. Sin. 36:620–628. , , , , , , et al.