Changes in soil bacterial community triggered by drought-induced gap succession preceded changes in soil C stocks and quality
Article first published online: 2 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 3016–3031, December 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(12): 3016–3031
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 2 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 19 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 AUG 2012
- CONSOLIDER INGENIO MONTES. Grant Number: CSD2008-00040
- SECASOL. Grant Number: CGL2009-08101
- DRIM. Grant Number: CGL2010-16373
- Catalonian government project. Grant Number: 2009 SGR 247
- Proyecto de Excelencia de la Junta de Andalucia de referencia. Grant Number: P08-CVI-03549
- 2005. PCR-induced sequence artifacts and bias: insights from comparison of two 16S rRNA clone libraries constructed from the same sample. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 71:8966–8969. , , , and .
- 2008. Tag-encoded pyrosequencing analysis of bacterial diversity in a single soil type as affected by management and land use. Soil Biol. Biochem. 40:2762–2770. , , and .
- 2006. The freezer defrosting, global warming and litter decomposition rates in cold biomes. J. Ecol. 94:713–724.
- 2010. A global overview of drought and heat-induced mortality reveals emerging climate change risks for forests. For. Ecol. Manage. 259:660–684. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2012. Litter VOCs induce changes in soil microbial biomass C and N and largely increase soil CO2 efflux. Plant Soil. doi:10.1007/s11104-012-1220-9. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Soil respiration in European grasslands in relation to climate and assimilate supply. Ecosystems 11:1352–1367. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Review and re-analysis of domain-specific 16S primers. J. Microbiol. Methods 55:541–555. , , and .
- 1992. Aspects of the chemical-structure of soil organic materials as revealed by solid-state C-13 NMR-spectroscopy. Biogeochemistry 16:1–42. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Cycling and composition of organic matter in terrestrial and marine ecosystems. Mar. Chem. 92:39–64. , , , and .
- 2005. Linking microbial community composition and soil processes in a California annual grassland and mixed-conifer forest. Biogeochemistry 73:395–415. , and .
- 2009. Investigating biological control over soil carbon temperature sensitivity. Glob. Change Biol. 15:2935–2949. , and .
- 1997. Incorporating the soil community into plant population dynamics: the utility of the feedback approach. J. Ecol. 85:561–573. , , and .
- 1995. The influence of tree species on forest soils, processes and patterns agronomy society of New Zealand special. Agronomy Society of New Zealand Special Publication No. 10. Lincoln University Press, Canterbury.
- 2007. The use of coded PCR primers enables high-throughput sequencing of multiple homolog amplification products by 454 parallel sequencing. PLoS ONE, 2:e197. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Temperate forest trees and stands under severe drought: a review of ecophysiological responses, adaptation processes and long-term consequences. Ann. Forest Sci. 63:625–644. , , , and .
- 2002. Root respiration in North American forests, effects of nitrogen concentration and temperature across biomes. Oecologia 131:559–568. , , , , and .
- 2011. Widespread crown condition decline, food web disruption, and amplified tree mortality with increased climate change-type drought. PNAS 108:1474–1478. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Abundance-based similarity indices and their estimation when there are unseen species in samples. Biometrics 62:361–371. , , , and
- 2007. The ribosomal database project (RDP-II), introducing myRDP space and quality controlled public data. Nucleic Acids Res. 35(Database issue):D169–D172. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkl889. , , , , , and .
- 2009. The Ribosomal Database Project, improved alignments and new tools for rRNA analysis. Nucleic Acids Res. 37:141–145. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Acceleration of global warming due to carbon-cycle feedbacks in a coupled climate model. Nature 408:184–187. , , , , and .
- 2007. Microbial soil respiration and its dependency on carbon inputs, soil temperature and moisture. Glob. Change Biol. 13:2018–2035. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Drought-resistant fungi control soil organic matter decomposition and its response to temperature. Glob. Change Biol. 17:1475–1486. , , , , , and , et al.
- 1999. The responsive C and N biogeochemistry of the temperate forest floor. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:316–320.
- 2001. Organic matter chemistry and dynamics in clear-cut and unmanaged hardwood forest ecosystems. Biogeochemistry 54:51–83. , , and .
- 2003. Soil invertebrate fauna enhances grassland succession and diversity. Nature 422:711–713. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Ectomycorrhizal fungal communities at forest edges. J. Ecol. 93:244–255. , and .
- 2011. UCHIME improves sensitivity and speed of chimera detection. Bioinformatics 27:2194–2200. , , , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes, application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 2005. Bacterial communities associated with benthic organic matter in headwater stream microhabitats. Environ. Microbiol. 7:1633–1640. , , , and .
- 2007. Toward an ecological classification of soil bacteria. Ecology 88:1354–1364. , , and .
- 2002. Global dispersal of free-living microbial eukaryote species. Science 296:1061–1063. .
- 2007. Stability of organic carbon in deep soil layers controlled by fresh carbon supply. Nature 450:277–280. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Climate-carbon cycle feedback analysis, results from the C4mip model intercomparison. J. Clim. 19:3337–3353. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2010. Drought-induced multifactor decline of Scots pine in the Pyrenees and potential vegetation change by the expansion of co-occurring oak species. Ecosystems 13:978–991. , , and .
- 2011. Carbon reserves and canopy defoliation determine the recovery of Scots pine 4 yr after a drought episode. New Phytol. 190:750–759. , , and .
- 1994. Study of free and occluded particulate organic matter in soils by solid-state 13C CP/MAS NMR spectroscopy and scanning electron miscroscopy. Aust. J. Soil Res. 33:59–76. , , , and
- 1995. Structural and dynamic properties of soil organic matter as reflected by 13C natural abundance, pyrolysis mass spectrometry and solid-state 13C NMR spectroscopy in density fractions of an Oxisol under forest and pasture. Aust. J. Soil Res. 33:59–76. , , , and .
- 1974. A simulation model for managing jack-pine stands. Pp. 74–90 in J. Fries, ed. Growth models for tree and stand simulation. Royal College of Forestry, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2008. Terrestrial ecosystem carbon dynamics and climate feedbacks. Nature 451:289–292. , and .
- 2011. Growth patterns in relation to drought-induced mortality at two Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L) sites in NE Iberian Peninsula. Trees – Struct. Funct. 26:621–630. , , and .
- 1999. Experimental areas of Prades and Montseny. Pp. 253–269 in F. Rodà, J. Retana, C. Gracia and J. Bellot, eds. Ecology of a Mediterranean evergreen oak forests. Springer, Berlin. , and .
- 2001. Large-scale forest girdling shows that current photosynthesis drives soil respiration. Nature 411:789–792. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Biological diversity. The coexistence of species on changing landscapes. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2003. Changes in community properties during microbial succession. Oikos 101:444–448.
- 2006. Identifying the dominant soil bacterial taxa in libraries of 16S rRNA and 16S rRNA genes. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 72:1719–1728.
- 2000. Assessing forest soil CO(2) efflux, an in situ comparison of four techniques. Tree Physiol. 20:23–32. , , , and .
- 2001. Productivity overshadows temperature in determining soil and ecosystem respiration across European forests. Global Change Biol. 7:269–278. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. A comprehensive survey of soil acidobacterial diversity using pyrosequencing and clone library analyses. ISME J. 3:442–453. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Measurement of soil CO2 efflux using soda lime absorption, both quantitative and reliable. Soil Biol. Biochem. 38:1121–1131. , and .
- 1997. 13C and 15N NMR spectroscopy as a tool in soil organic matter studies. Geoderma 80:243–270.
- 2000. Analytical approaches for characterizing soil organic matter. Org. Geochem. 31:609–625.
- 2003. Tannins in nutrient dynamics of forest ecosystems e a review. Plant Soil 256:41–66. , , and .
- 1990. Role of phenolic substances from decomposing forest litter in plant-soil interactions. Acta Bot. Neerl. 39:329–348.
- 2001. Linking plants to rocks ectomycorrhizal fungi mobilize nutrients from minerals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:248–254. , , , , and .
- 2009. Soil pH as a predictor of soil bacterial community structure at the continental scale: a pyrosequencing-based assessment. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 75:5111–5120. , , , and .
- 2011. Metagenomic analysis of a permafrost microbial community reveals a rapid response to thaw. Nature 480:368–371. , , , , and , et al.
- 2002. Drought-induced mortality and hydraulic architecture in pine populations of the NE Iberian Peninsula. For. Ecol. Manage. 161:247–256. , and .
- 2011. Drought-induced forest decline, causes, scope and implications. Biol. Lett. doi:10.1098/rsbl.2011.1059 , , and .
- 2006. Microbial biogeography: putting microorganisms on the map. Nature Rev. Microbiol. 4:102–112. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Mechanisms linking drought, hydraulics, carbon metabolism, and vegetation mortality. Plant Physiol. 155:1051–1059. .
- 2006. The influence of terrestrial ecosystems on climate. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21:254–260. , , and .
- 2011. Pyrosequencing-based assessment of bacterial community structure along different management types in german forest and grassland soils. PLoS ONE 6:e17000. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0017000. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2010. Harvest impacts on soil carbon storage in temperate forests. Forest Ecol. Manage. 259:857–866. , , , and .
- 2009. Infernal 1.0: inference of RNA alignments. Bioinformatics 25:1335–1337. , , and .
- 2000. A methodological approach of climatological modelling of air temperature and precipitation through GIS techniques. Int. J. Climatol. 20:1823–1841. , , and .
- 1998. Belowground effects of canopy gaps in a tropical wet forest. Ecology 79:1294–1304.
- 2001. Severe drought effects on Mediterranean woody flora in Spain. For. Sci. 47:214–218. , , and .
- 2009. Metagenomic pyrosequencing and microbial identification. Clin. Chem. 55:856–866. , , , , and .
- 1998. Variation in sugar maple root respiration with root diameter and soil depth. Tree Physiol. 18:665–670. , , , and .
- 2001. Carbon-13 solid-state NMR of soil organic matter – using the technique effectively. Can. J. Soil Sci. 81:255–270.
- 2004. Comparison of different chamber techniques for measuring soil CO2 efflux. Agric. For. Meteorol. 123:159–176. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2009. Microbial consumption and production of volatile organic compounds at the soil-litter interface. Biogeochemistry 99:97–107. , , and .
- 2007. Pyrosequencing enumerates and contrasts soil microbial diversity. ISME J. 1:283–290. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2011. Extreme climatic event-triggered overstorey vegetation loss increases understorey solar input regionally, primary and secondary ecological implications. J. Ecol. 99:714–723. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2012. Forest composition in Mediterranean mountains is projected to shift along the entire elevational gradient under climate change. J. Biogeogr. 39:162–176. , , , , and .
- 2010. Physiological mechanisms of drought-induced tree mortality are far from being resolved. New Phytol. 186:274–281. , , and .
- 1989. Molecular cloning, a laboratory manual. 2nd ed. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, Sect. 6.1–6.19. , , and .
- 1989. Fine root biomass under a tropical forest light gap opening in Costa Rica. J. Trop. Ecol. 5:251–256. .
- 2012. Coexistence of Abies alba (Mill.) and Fagus sylvatica (L.) and climate change impact in the Iberian Peninsula, A climatic-niche perspective approach. Flora 207:10–18. , , and .
- 2001. Global patterns in root decomposition, comparisons of climate and litter quality effects. Oecologia 129(3):407–419. , and .
- 2002. Microbial ecology of organic aggregates in aquatic ecosystems. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 28:175–211. , , , and .
- 2009. Testing the functional significance of microbial community composition. Ecology 90:441–451. , , , and .
- 2005. Spatial-temporal variation in soil respiration in an oak-grass savanna ecosystem in California and its partitioning into autotrophic and heterotrophic components. Biogeochemistry 73:183–207. , and .
- 2012. Bacterial community in the rhizosphere of a cactus species during dry and rainy seasons assessed by deep sequencing. Plant Soil 357:275–288. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2010. Tree species effects on soil enzyme activities through effects on soil physicochemical and microbial properites in a tropical montane forest on Mt Kinabalu Borneo. Pedobiologia 53:227–233. , , and .
- 2008. The unseen majority, soil microbes as drivers of plant diversity and productivity in terrestrial ecosystems. Ecol. Lett. 11:296–310. , , and .
- 2009. Widespread increase of tree mortality rates in the Western United States. Science 323:521–524. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2010. Looking deeper into the soil: environmental controls and seasonal lags of soil CO2 production and efflux across four vegetation types. Ecol. Appl. 20:1569–1582. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006a. Seasonal dynamics of microbial community composition and function in oak canopy and open grassland soils. Microb. Ecol. 52:470–479. , and .
- 2006b. Response of microbial community composition and function to soil climate change. Microb. Ecol. 52:716–724. , and .
- 2007. Naïve Bayesian classifier for rapid assignment of rRNA sequences into the new bacterial taxonomy. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 73:5261–5267. , , , and
- 1998. Prokaryotes, The unseen majority. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 95:6578–6583. , , and .
- 2010. Horizon-specific bacterial community composition of German grassland soils as revealed by pyrosequencing-based analysis of 16S rRNA genes. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 76:6751–6759. , , , , , and , et al.
- 1992. The ecology of seed dispersal. Pp. 61–85 in M. Fenner, ed. Seeds, the ecology of regeneration in plant communities. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- 1999. Increase in C-14-carbon translocation to the soil microbial biomass when five species of plant-parasitic nematodes infect roots of white clover. Nematology 1:295–300. , , , and .