Diversity of birds in eastern North America shifts north with global warming
Article first published online: 6 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 3052–3060, December 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(12): 3052–3060
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 6 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAY 2012
- 2004. Goals and strategies for estimating trends in landbird abundance. J. Wildl. Manag. 68:611–626. , , , , and .
- 1970. Time series analysis: forecasting and control. Holden-Day, San Francisco, CA. , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY. , and .
- 2009. Scrub–shrub bird habitat associations at multiple spatial scales in beaver meadows in Massachusetts. Auk 126:186–197. , , and .
- 2011. Rapid range shifts of species associated with high levels of climate warming. Science 333:1024–1026. , , , , and .
- 2012. Phenological tracking enables positive species responses to climate change. Ecology 93:1765–1771. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Predictions and tests of climate-based hypotheses of broad-scale variation in taxonomic richness. Ecol. Lett. 7:1121–1134. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Rise of the generalists: evidence for climate driven homogenization in avian communities. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 21:568–578. doi: 10.1111/j.1466-8238.2011.00693x , , , , and .
- 2008. Birds are tracking climate warming, but not fast enough. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 275:2743–2748. , , , and .
- 2007. Comate and the match or mismatch between predator requirements and resource availability. Clim. Res. 33:271–283. , , , and .
- 2004. Scale-dependent climate signals drive breeding phenology of three seabird species. Glob. Change Biol. 10:1214–1221. , , , , and .
- 2007. Breeding bird species richness in Spain: assessing diversity hypothesis at various scales. Ecography 30:241–250. , , and .
- 2010. Global surface temperature change. Rev. Geophys. 48: RG4004, 29pp. doi: 10.1029/2010RG000345 , , , and .
- 2008. Climate induced increases in species richness of marine fishes. Glob. Change Biol. 14:453–460. , and .
- 2007. Breeding distributions of north American bird species moving north as a result of climate change. Conserv. Biol. 21:534–539. , and .
- 2009. Climate and hydrological changes in the northeastern United States: recent trends and implications for forested and aquatic ecosystems. Can. J. For. Res. 39:199–212. , , , and .
- 2012. Global gradients in vertebrate diversity predicted by historical area-productivity dynamics and contemporary environment. PLoS Biol. 10:e1001292. , and .
- 2008. In defense of indices: the case of bird surveys. J. Wildl. Manag. 72:857–868.
- 2010. Correlative and mechanistic models of species distribution provide congruent forecasts under climate change. Conserv. Lett. 3:203–213. , , and .
- 2008. Rapid shifts in plant distribution with recent climate change. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105:11823–11826. , and .
- 2004. Monitoring programs need to take into account imperfect species detectability. Basic Appl. Ecol. 5:65–73. , and .
- 2003. Potential impact of global climate change on species richness of long-distance migrants. Conserv. Biol. 17:577–586. , and .
- 2006. Species richness of migratory birds is influenced by global climate change. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 16:55–64. , , and .
- 2009. The velocity of climate change. Nature 462:1052–1055. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Climate change and biodiversity: some considerations in forecasting shifts in species potential distributions. Biodivers. Inform. 2:42–55.
- 2001. Ecological consequences of recent climate change. Conserv. Biol. 15:320–331.
- 2006. Species richness changes lag behind climate change. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273:1465–1470. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. United States Historical Climatology Network (USHCN) Version 2 Serial Monthly Dataset Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN. , , and .
- 2009. Climate change and phonological responses of two seabird species breeding in the high Arctic. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 393:235–246. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421:37–42. , and .
- 1999. Poleward shifts in geographical ranges of butterfly species associated with regional warming. Nature 399:579–583. , , , , , , et al.
- R Development Core Team. 2002. R: a language and environment for statistical practical information-theoretic approach. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY.
- 2002. Range contraction in declining North American bird populations. Ecol. Appl. 12:238–248.
- 2008. Attributing physical and biological impacts to anthropogenic climate change. Nature 453:353–357. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. A meta-analysis of the response of soil respiration, net nitrogen mineralization, and aboveground plant growth to experimental ecosystem warming. Oecologia 126:543–562. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Migration and the migratory birds of Texas: who they are and where they are going. Texas Parks and Wildlife PWD (BK W7000-511 [11/05], Booklet). Available at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0511.pdf. , , , and .
- 2011. Climate change and community disassembly: impacts of warming on tropical and temperate montane community structure. Ecol. Lett. 14:1191–1200. , , and .
- 2007. Poleward shifts in winter ranges of North American birds. Ecology 88:1803–1812. , and .
- 2010. Multiple environmental determinants of regional species richness and effects of geographic range size. Ecography 33:796–808. , and .
- USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center. 2011. North American Breeding Bird Survey Internet data set. Available at http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/retrieval. Accessed February 4, 2011.
- 2003. Latitudinal gradients of biodiversity: pattern, process, scale, and synthesis. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 34:273–309. , , and .
- 2007. An elevational shift in butterfly species richness and composition accompanying recent climate change. Glob. Change Biol. 9:1873–1887. , , , and .
- 2006. Generalized additive models: an introduction with R. Chapman and Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2011. Recent spatial and temporal changes in body size of terrestrial vertebrates: probable causes and pitfalls. Biol. Rev. 86:531–541. , and .