Exploring the genetics of nestling personality traits in a wild passerine bird: testing the phenotypic gambit
Version of Record online: 2 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 3032–3044, December 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(12): 3032–3044
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 2 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 SEP 2012
- Academy of Finland. Grant Number: 1131390
- Emil Aaltonen Foundation
- Ella and Georg Ehrnrooth Foundation
- 2012. The majority of genetic variation in Orangutan personality and subjective well-being is nonadditive. Behav. Genet. 42:675–686. , , and .
- 2012. Corticosterone responses differ between lines of great tits (Parus major) selected for divergent personalities. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 175:488–494. , , , , , and .
- 2009. The repeatability of behaviour: a meta-analysis. Anim. Behav. 77:771–783. , , and .
- 2005. Pairs of extreme avian personalities have highest reproductive success. J. Anim. Ecol. 74:667–674. , , , and .
- 2010. Passerine extra-pair mating dynamics: a Bayesian model comparison of four species. Am. Nat. 176:178–187. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Body size and immune defence of blue tit nestlings in response to manipulation of ectoparasites and food supply. Auk 128:556–563. , , , , and .
- 2004. Shy and bold great tits (Parus major): body temperature and breath rate in response to handling stress. Physiol. Behav. 82:905–912. , and .
- 2005. How do misassigned paternities affect the estimation of heritability in the wild? Mol. Ecol. 14:2839–2850. , and .
- 1988. A comparison of genetic and phenotypic correlations. Evolution 42:958–968.
- 2007. Stress, corticosterone responses and avian personalities. J. Ornithol. 148:169–178.
- 1995. Dominance variance: associations with selection and fitness. Heredity 75:530–540. , and .
- 2011. Testing Cheverud's conjecture for behavioral correlations and behavioral syndromes. Evolution 65:1814–1820.
- 2010. Applying a quantitative genetics framework to behavioural syndrome research. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 365:4013–4020. , and .
- 2009. Evolution of genetic integration between dispersal and colonization ability in a bird. Evolution 63:968–977. , and .
- 2003. An inexpensive and high-throughput procedure to extract and purify total genomic DNA for population studies. Mol. Ecol. Notes 3:317–320. , , , and .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. 4th ed. Longman, Harlow, U.K. , and .
- 1958. The genetical theory of natural selection. Clarendon, London.
- 2009. Handling stress as a measurement of personality in great tit nestlings (Parus major). Ethology 115:366–374. , , , and .
- 1984. Natural selection, kin selection and group selection. Pp. 62–84 in J. R. Krebs and N. B. Davies, eds. Behavioural ecology: an evolutionary approach. Blackwell Scientific, Oxford, U.K.
- 1998. A DNA test to sex most birds. Mol. Ecol. 7:1071–1075. , , , and .
- 1993. Individual behavioural characteristics in pigs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 37:285–295. , , , , , and .
- 1997. The precision of fixed effects estimate from restricted maximum likelihood. Biometrics 38:613–621. , and .
- 2011. Adjusting the timing of hatching to changing environmental conditions has fitness costs in blue tits. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 65:2091–2103. , , and .
- 1999. Coping styles in animals: current status in behaviour and stress-physiology. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 23:925–935. , , , , , , et al.
- 1978. Behavioural ecology: an evolutionary approach. Blackwell Science, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- 2004. Estimating genetic parameters using the ‘animal model’. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 359:873–890. .
- 2007. How to separate genetic and environmental causes of similarity between relatives. J. Evol. Biol. 20:1890–1903. , and .
- 2001. Phenotypic selection on heritable size traits revisited. Am. Nat. 158:557–571. , , and .
- 1932. A technique for the measurement of attitudes. Arch. Psychol. 22:55.
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2007. Speed of exploration and risk-taking behavior are linked to corticosterone titres in zebra finches. Horm. Behav. 52:445–453. , , , , and .
- 2001. Natural selection on the genetical component of variance in body condition in a wild bird population. J. Evol. Biol. 14:918–929. , , and .
- 2011. Effects of social conditions during early development on stress response and personality traits in great tits (Parus major). Dev. Psychobiol. 53:592–600. , , and .
- 1986. Acquisition and allocation of resources: their influence on variation in life history tactics. Am. Nat. 128:137–142. , and .
- 2011. Toward a basis for the phenotypic gambit: advances in the evolutionary genetics of animal personality. Pp 165–183 in M. Inoue-Murayama, S. Kawamura and A. Weiss, eds. From genes to animal behavior, primatology monographs. Springer, Tokyo. , and .
- 2004. Additive and nonadditive genetic variation in avian personality traits. Heredity 93:496–503. , , , and
- 2005. Contribution of genetics to the study of animal personalities: a review of case studies. Behaviour 142:1191–1212. , , , , and .
- 2007. Nestling immune response to phytohaemagglutinin is not heritable in collared flycatchers. Biol. Lett. 3:418–421. , , , and .
- 2009. Ectoparasites help to maintain variation in cell-mediated immunity in the blue tit–hen flea system. Evol. Ecol. Res. 11:79–94. , , , and .
- 2000. Consistency of temperament in bighorn ewes and correlates with behaviour and life history. Anim. Behav. 60:589–597. , , , and .
- 2007. Integrating temperament in ecology and evolutionary biology. Biol. Rev. 82:291–318. , , , , and .
- 2010. Evolutionary and ecological approaches to the study of personality. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 365:3937–3946. , , , and .
- 1997. Evolutionary quantitative genetics. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- 2007. Evolutionary quantitative genetics. Sinauer, New York.
- 2011. Pairs of zebra finches with similar ‘personalities’ make better parents. Anim. Behav. 81:609–618. , , and .
- 2006. Impact of dominance effects on sow longevity. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 123:355–361. , , and .
- 2004a. Behavioral syndromes: an ecological and evolutionary overview. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:372–378. , , and .
- 2004b. Behavioural syndromes: an integrative overview. Q. Rev. Biol. 79:241–277. , , , and .
- 1986. Corticosterone-binding proteins and behavioral effects of high plasma levels of corticosterone during the breeding period in the pied flycatcher. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 64:67–74.
- 1998. Behavioural and hormonal responses of the pied flycatcher to environmental stressors. Anim. Behav. 55:1411–1420.
- 2010. Ontogeny of animal personality: relevance, concepts and perspectives. Biol. Rev. 85:301–325. , and .