Development and evolution of caste dimorphism in honeybees – a modeling approach
Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 3098–3109, December 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(12): 3098–3109
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 1 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUL 2012
- Swedish Research Council. Grant Number: 621-2010-5437
- 2010. Hormone response to bidirectional selection on social behavior. Evol. Dev. 12:428–436. , , , and .
- 2009. Effect of topic application of juvenile hormone on the ovarian development of worker larvae of Apis mellifera Linnaeus (Hymenoptera, Apidae). Rev. Bras. Entomol. 53:115–120. , and .
- 1976. Effect of sugars and juvenile hormone on differentiation of female honeybee larvae (Apis mellifera L.) to queens. Life Sci. 18:693–700. , and .
- 1984. Juvenile hormone induction of ‘queenliness’ on female honey bee (Apis mellifera L.) larvae reared on worker jelly and on stored royal jelly. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B 78:109–117. , and .
- 1985. The phagostimulatory effect of sugars on the induction of queenliness in female honeybee (Apis mallifera) larvae. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A Comp. Physiol. 81:203–208. , and .
- 1988. The effect of soluble sugars in stored royal jelly on the differentiation of female honeybee (Apis mellifera) larvae to queens. Insect Biochem. 18:127–133. , and .
- 2008. The insulin signaling pathway in honey bee (Apis mellifera) caste development – differential expression of insulin-like peptides and insulin receptors in queen and worker larvae. J. Insect Physiol. 54:1064–1071. , and .
- 2011. Differential expression of hypoxia pathway genes in honey bee (Apis mellifera L.) caste development. J. Insect Physiol. 57:38–45. , , , and .
- 2005. Programmed cell death in the germline. Semin. Cell Dev. Biol. 16:245–259. , , and .
- 1999. Cell death in ovarioles causes permanent sterility in Frieseomelitta varia worker bees. J. Morphol. 242:271–282. , , and .
- 2011. The antiquity and evolutionary history of social behavior in bees. PLoS ONE 6:e21086. , and .
- 2010. Epigenetics of royalty. PLoS Biol. 8:e1000532. , and .
- 2001. Are queen Bombus terrestris giant workers or are workers dwarf queens? Solving the ‘chicken and egg’ problem in a bumblebee species. Naturwissenschaften 88:85–87. , and .
- 2006. Caste development and reproduction: a genome-wide analysis of hallmarks of insect eusociality. Insect Mol. Biol. 15:703–714. , , , and .
- 1998. Caste determination is a sequential process: effect of larval age at grafting on ovariole number, hind leg size and cephalic volatiles in the honey bee (Apis mellifera carnica). J. Apic. Res. 37:183–190. , , , , and .
- 1971. Caste determination in honey bees. I. The significance of moisture in larval food. J. Exp. Zool. 177:353–358. , and .
- 1983. Correlation of cytochrome c titer and respiration in Apis mellifera – adaptive response to caste differentiation defines workers, intercastes and queens. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B 76:703–716. , , and .
- 2000. Expression profiles during honeybee caste determination. Genome Biol. 2:research0001–research0001.6. , and .
- 1991. Caste-specific modulation of juvenile hormone III content and ecdysteroid titer in postembryonic development of the stingless bee Scaptotrigona postica depilis. J. Comp. Physiol. B. 160:617–620. , and .
- 1997. Germ cell cluster formation and cell death are alternatives in caste-specific differentiation of the larval honey bee ovary. Invertebr. Reprod. Dev. 31:237–250. , and .
- 2009. The superorganism. W. W. Norton & Company, New York. , and .
- 2010. Rearing honey bees (Apis mellifera L.) in vitro: effects of feeding intervals on survival and development. J. Apic. Res. 49:311–317. , , and .
- 2011. Rearing honey bees (Apis mellifera L.) in vitro I: effects of sugar concentrations on survival and development. J. Insect. Sci. 11:96. , , and .
- 2011. Royalactin induces queen differentiation in honeybees. Nature 473:478–483.
- 2008. Phylogenetic analysis of the corbiculate bee tribes based on 12 nuclear protein-coding genes (Hymenoptera: Apoidea: Apidae). Apidologie 39:163–175. , , , , and .
- 2008. Nutritional control of reproductive status in honeybees via DNA methylation. Science 319:1827–1830. , , , and .
- 2005. The evolutionary origin and elaboration of sociality in the aculeate hymenoptera: maternal effects, sib-social effects, and heterochrony. Q. Rev. Biol. 80:317–336. , and .
- 2009. Honeybee social regulatory networks are shaped by colony-level selection. Am. Nat. 173:E99–E107. , , and .
- 2011. Larval and nurse worker control of developmental plasticity and the evolution of honey bee queen-worker dimorphism. J. Evol. Biol. 24:1939–1948. , , , , , and .
- 2012a. Corrigendum. J. Evol. Biol. 25:416. , , , , , and .
- 2012b. Developmental evolution in social insects: regulatory networks from genes to societies. J. Exp. Zool. B Mol. Dev. Evol. 318:159–169. , , , and .
- 1969. Comparative social behavior of bees. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 14:299–342.
- 2007. Size assessment and growth control: how adult size is determined in insects. BioEssays 29:344–355. , and .
- 2009. The ecdysone receptor controls the post-critical weight switch to nutrition-independent differentiation in Drosophila wing imaginal discs. Development 136:2345–2353. , , and .
- 2011. IRS and TOR nutrient-signaling pathways act via juvenile hormone to influence honey bee caste fate. J. Exp. Biol. 214:3977–3984. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Development and evolution of adaptive polyphenisms. Evol. Dev. 5:9–18.
- 1982. Juvenile hormone and the physiological basis of insect polymorphims. Q. Rev. Biol. 57:109–133. , and .
- 2006. A quantitative analysis of the mechanism that controls body size in Manduca sexta. J. Biol. 5:16. , , and .
- 2010. Conflicting processes in the evolution of body size and development time. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 365:567–575. , , and .
- 2007. The making of a social insect: developmental architectures of social design. BioEssays 29:334–343. , and .
- 1995. The effects of colony-level selection on the social organization of honey bee (Apis mellifera L.) colonies: colony-level components of pollen hoarding. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 36:135–144. , and .
- 2007. The making of a queen: TOR pathway is a key player in diphenic caste development. PLoS ONE 2:e509. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. rjags: Bayesian graphical models using MCMC. R package version 2.2.0-4. Available at http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=rjags.
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. Available at http://www.R-project.org/.
- 1990. Caste and metamorphosis – hemolymph titers of juvenile hormone and ecdysteroids in last instar honey bee larvae. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 79:31–38. , , , and .
- 1987. Caste specific modulation of juvenile hormone titers in Apis mellifera. Insect Biochem. 17:1003–1006.
- 1980. Characterization of postembryonic developmental stages of the female castes of the honey bee, Apis mellifera L. Apidologie 11:29–38. , , and .
- 1998. Juvenile hormone effect on DNA synthesis and apoptosis in caste-specific differentiation of the larval honey bee (Apis mellifera L.) ovary. J. Insect Physiol. 44:385–391. , and .
- 2002. Juvenile-hormone-dependent interaction of actin and spectrin is crucial for polymorphic differentiation of the larval honey bee ovary. Cell Tissue Res. 307:265–272. , and .
- 1998. A family of major royal jelly proteins of the honeybee Apis mellifera L. Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 54:1020–1030. , , , , , , et al.
- 1959. Studies in the mode of action of royal jelly in honeybee development. II. Respiration of newly emerged larvae on various substrates. Can. J. Zool. 37:803–813. , and .
- 1960. The early establishment of dimorphism in the female honeybee, Apis mellifera L. Insectes Soc. 7:265–282. , and .
- 1968. The importance of sugar for the pupation of the worker honeybee. J. Apic. Res. 7:109–112. , and .
- 1930. The rate of growth of worker, drone and queen larvae of the honeybee, Apis mellifera Linn. J. Econ. Entomol. 23:447–453.
- 1974. Zur frage des königinnengewichtes in abhängigkeit von umlarvalter und larvenversorgung. Apidologie 5:127–147.
- 1996. Wasp societies as microcosms for the study of development and evolution. Pp. 290–317 in S. Turillazzi and M. J. West-Eberhard, eds. Natural history and evolution of paper wasps. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1986. Developmental and physiological determinants of caste in social Hymenoptera – evolutionary implications. Am. Nat. 128:13–34.
- 2006. Expression of insulin pathway genes during the period of caste determination in the honey bee, Apis mellifera. Insect Mol. Biol. 15:597–602. , , and .
- 1971. The insect societies. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, MA.