Trophic transfer of biodiversity effects: functional equivalence of prey diversity and enrichment?
Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 3110–3122, December 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(12): 3110–3122
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 28 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 26 JUN 2012
- Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. Grant Number: STI180/3
- 2012. Diversity effects on ecosystem processes: a mechanistic approach using plankton communities. Dissertation. LMU Munich, Germany.
- 2011. The relative importance of species diversity and functional group diversity on carbon uptake in phytoplankton communities. Limnol. Oceanogr. 56:683–694. , , and .
- 2006. Light supply, plankton biomass and seston stoichiometry in a gradient of lake mixing depths. Limnol. Oceanogr. 51:1898–1905. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Water temperature and stratification depth independently shift cardinal events during plankton spring succession. Global Change Biol. 16:1954–1965. , , , , and .
- 1995. Synergistic effects of different food species on life-history traits of Daphnia galeata. Hydrobiologia 307:109–155. , and .
- 2008. Relative and interactive effects of plant and grazer richness in a benthic marine community. Ecology 89:2518–2528. , , , and .
- 2011. Biodiversity improves water quality through niche partitioning. Nature 472:86–89.
- 1998. Utilization of a cyanobacterium and a phosphorus-deficient green alga as complementary resources by daphnids. Ecology 79:2463–2481.
- 2006. Interactive effects of light and nutrients on phytoplankton stoichiometry. Oecologia 149:676–689. , , and .
- 2005. Flexible nutrient stoichiometry mediates environmental influences on phytoplankton and its abiotic resources. Ecology 86:2931–2945. , , and .
- 2007. The functional role of biodiversity in ecosystems: incorporating trophic complexity. Ecol. Lett. 10:522–538. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Nutrient dependent effects of consumer identity and diversity on freshwater ecosystem function. Freshw. Biol. 53:148–158. , and .
- 2010. Prey diversity is associated with weaker consumer effects in a meta-analysis of benthic marine experiments. Ecol. Lett. 13:194–201. , , , , and .
- 2000. Nutritional constraints in terrestrial and freshwater food webs. Nature 408:578–580. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Why is the land green and the ocean red? Pp. 429–453 in H. Thierstein and J. Young, eds. Coccolithophores – from molecular processes to global impact. Elsevier, Amsterdam. , , , , and .
- 1991. Aquatic primary production in relation to microalgal responses to changing light: a review. Aquat. Sci. 53:187–217. , and .
- 2004. Effects of algal and herbivore diversity on the partitioning of biomass within and among trophic levels. Ecology 85:549–559.
- 2003. Diversity effects on production in different light and fertility environments: an experiment with communities of annual plants. J. Ecol. 91:396–406.
- 2005. Species richness changes across two trophic levels simultaneously affect prey and consumer biomass. Ecol. Lett. 8:696–703. , , and .
- 1990. Food thresholds in Daphnia species in the absence and presence of blue-green filaments. Ecology 71:691–702. , and .
- 1995. Competition, herbivory, and enrichment: nutrient-based models for edible and inedible plants. Am. Nat. 145:746–774.
- 1984. Empirical prediction of crustacean zooplankton biomass and profundal macrobenthos biomass in lakes. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 41:439–445. , and .
- 2004. Consumer effects decline with prey diversity. Ecol. Lett. 7:192–201. , and .
- 1999. Biovolume calculation for pelagic and benthic microalgae. J. Phycol. 35:403–424. , , , , and .
- 1994. Simple rules for interspecific dominance in systems with exploitative and apparent competition. Am. Nat. 144:741–771. , , and .
- 2012. A global synthesis reveals biodiversity loss as a major driver of ecosystem change. Nature 486:105–109. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Light-limited growth and competition for light in well-mixed aquatic environments: an elementary model. Ecology 75:507–520. , and .
- 2009. Light limitation of nutrient-poor lake ecosystems. Nature 460:506–509. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Successional dynamics in the seasonally forced diamond food web. Am. Nat. 180:1–16. , and .
- 2000. Numerical responses of different trophic groups of invertebrates to manipulations of plant diversity in grasslands. Oecologia 125:271–282. , , , , and .
- 2003. Daphnia growth on microcystin-producing and microcystin-free Microcystis aeruginosa in different mixtures with the green alga Scenedesmus obliquus. Limnol. Oceanogr. 48:2214–2220.
- 2010. Community composition and consumer identity determine the effect of resource species diversity on rates of consumption. Ecology 91:3441–3447. , and .
- 2000. Resource-niche complementarity and autotrophic compensation determines ecosystem-level responses to increased cladoceran species richness. Oecologia 122:264–272.
- 1981. Exploitation ecosystems in gradients of primary productivity. Am. Nat. 118:240–261. , , , and .
- 1993. Selectivity and growth of the generalist herbivore Dolabella auricularia feeding upon complementary resources. Ecology 74:879–890. , , and .
- 1992. Trophic interactions in temperate lake ecosystems: a test of food chain theory. Am. Nat. 140:59–84. , , , , and .
- 2003. Dietary shift and lowered biomass gain of a generalist herbivore in species-poor experimental plant communities. Oecologia 135:234–241. , , and .
- 2003. Spring algal bloom and larval fish survival. Nature 423:398–399. , , and .
- 2001. Plant diversity enhances ecosystem responses to elevated CO2 and nitrogen deposition. Nature 410:809–812. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Diversity-productivity relationships: Initial effects, long-term patterns, and underlying mechanisms. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:695–700. , and .
- 1998. Experimental tests of the dependence of arthropod diversity on plant diversity. Am. Nat. 152:738–750. , , , and .
- 2004. Optimal foraging when regulating intake of multiple nutrients. Anim. Behav. 68:1299–1311. , , , , and .
- 1986. The PEG-model of seasonal succession of planktonic events in fresh waters. Arch. Hydrobiol. 106:433–471. , , , and .
- 2012. Multiple resource limitation theory applied to herbivorous consumers: Liebig's minimum rule vs. interactive co-limitation. Ecol. Lett. 15:142–150. , , and .
- 2009. Diversity has stronger top-down than bottom-up effects on decomposition. Ecology 90:1073–1083. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The effects of prey heterogeneity and consumer identity on the limitation of trophic-level biomass. Ecology 82:2495–2506.
- 1993. Daphnia growth on varying quality of Scenedesmus: mineral limitation of zooplankton. Ecology 74:2351–2360.
- 1997. The light:nutrient ratio in lakes: the balance of energy and materials affects ecosystem structure and process. Am. Nat. 150:663–684. , , , , and .
- 1995. Chemische information in limnischen räuber-beute systemen[Chemical information in limnic predator-prey systems]. Dissertation. University of Kiel, Germany.
- 2004. Adaptive divergence in pigment composition promotes phytoplankton biodiversity. Nature 432:104–107. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Light-induced changes of plankton growth and stoichiometry: experiments with natural phytoplankton communities. Limnol. Oceanogr. 53:513–522. , , and .
- 2009a. Spectral niche complementarity and carbon dynamics in pelagic ecosystems. Am. Nat. 174:141–147. , , , and .
- 2009b. Carbon sequestration and elemental stoichiometry of mobile and non-mobile green algae. Limnol. Oceanogr. 54:1746–1752. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Complementarity effects through dietary mixing enhance the performance of a generalist insect herbivore. Oecologia 156:313–324. , , , and .
- 1996. Regulation of herbivore growth by the balance of light and nutrients. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93:8465–8469. , and .
- 2010. Mechanisms linking plant species richness to foraging of a large herbivore. J. Appl. Ecol. 47:868–875. , , , , and .
- 2004. Climate change uncouples trophic interactions in an aquatic ecosystem. Ecology 85:2100–2106. , and .
- 2012. Simple rules describe bottom-up and top-down control in food webs with alternative energy pathways. Ecol. Lett. 15:935–946. , , and .
- 2009. Phytoplankton competition for nutrients and light in a stratified water column. Am. Nat. 174:190–203. , , , and .