Concordance in hippocampal and fecal Nr3c1 methylation is moderated by maternal behavior in the mouse
Article first published online: 8 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 3123–3131, December 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(12): 3123–3122
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 8 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 9 AUG 2012
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: DP2OD001674
- University of Michigan NIEHS P30 Core Center. Grant Number: ES017885
- USDA FS. 2009. Advancing ecological understandings through technological transformations in noninvasive genetics. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 9:1279–1301. , , , , , and
- 2008. Epigenetics for ecologists. Ecol. Lett. 11:106–115. , , and .
- 2011. Linking genotypes, phenotypes, and fitness in wild primate populations. Evol. Anthropol. 20:104–119. , and .
- 2010. Epigenetic influence of social experiences across the lifespan. Dev. Psychobiol. 52:299–311.
- 2007. Natural variations in postpartum maternal care in inbred and outbred mice. Physiol. Behav. 91:325–334. , , , and .
- 2009. Linking genotypes to phenotypes and fitness: how mechanistic biology can inform molecular ecology. Mol. Ecol. 18:4997–5017. , , and .
- 2011. Beyond DNA: integrating inclusive inheritance into an extended theory of evolution. Nat. Rev. Genet. 12:475–486. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Tissue-specific variation in DNA methylation levels along human chromosome 1. Epigenetics Chromatin 2:7. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Mechanistic approaches to the study of evolution: the functional synthesis. Nat. Rev. Genet. 8:675–688. , and .
- 2006. Maternal genistein alters coat color and protects Avy mouse offspring from obesity by modifying the fetal epigenome. Environ. Health Perspect. 114:567–572. , , , and .
- 2006. DNA methylation profiling of human chromosomes 6, 20 and 22. Nat. Genet. 38:1378–1385. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Genetic basis of fitness differences in natural populations. Nature 452:169–175. , and .
- 2010. Evolution in health and medicine Sackler colloquium: stochastic epigenetic variation as a driving force of development, evolutionary adaptation, and disease. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107(Suppl. 1):1757–1764. , and .
- 2012. Epigenetics for ecotoxicologists. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 31:221–227. , , and .
- 2005. Evolution in four dimensions: genetic, epigenetic, behavioral, and symbolic variation in the history of life. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. , and .
- 2007. Environmental epigenomics and disease susceptibility. Nat. Rev. Genet. 8:253–262. , and .
- 2006. LUMA (LUminometric Methylation Assay) – a high throughput method to the analysis of genomic DNA methylation. Exp. Cell Res. 312:1989–1995. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. DNA methylation as a risk factor in the effects of early life stress. Brain Behav. Immun. 25:1548–1553. , , , , , , et al.
- Epigenetics for behavioral ecologists. Behav. Ecol. , , and . In press.
- 2002. Chromatin modification and epigenetic reprogramming in mammalian development. Nat. Rev. Genet. 3:662.
- 2011. Integrator networks: illuminating the black box linking genotype and phenotype. Integr. Comp. Biol. 51:514–527. , , , , , and .
- 2005. RNAi-mediated pathways in the nucleus. Nat. Rev. Genet. 6:24–35. , and .
- 2011. Emerging patterns of epigenomic variation. Trends Genet. 27:242–250.
- 2008. Prenatal exposure to maternal depression, neonatal methylation of human glucocorticoid receptor gene (NR3C1) and infant cortisol stress responses. Epigenetics 3:97–106. , , , , , and .
- 2004. The mouse brain in stereotaxic coordinates. Gulf Professional Publishing, Amsterdam; Boston, MA. , and .
- 2010. Genomic-scale capture and sequencing of endogenous DNA from feces. Mol. Ecol. 19:5332–5344. , , , and .
- 2010. Characterising functionally important and ecologically meaningful genetic diversity using a candidate gene approach. Genetica 138:419–432. , and .
- 2001. Epigenetic reprogramming in mammalian development. Science 293:1089–1093. , , and .
- 2012. Epigenetic variation may compensate for decreased genetic variation with introductions: a case study using house sparrows (Passer domesticus) on two continents. Genet. Res. Int. 2012:979751. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Evolution of vertebrate steroid receptors from an ancestral estrogen receptor by ligand exploitation and serial genome expansions. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98:5671–5676.
- 2007. DNA methylation analysis by pyrosequencing. Nat. Protoc. 2:2265–2275. , and .
- 2005. Structure of the glucocorticoid receptor (NR3C1) gene 5′ untranslated region: identification, and tissue distribution of multiple new human exon 1. J. Mol. Endocrinol. 35:283–292. , and .
- 2010. Stress-induced DNA methylation changes and their heritability in asexual dandelions. New Phytol. 185:1108–1118. , , , and .
- 2003. Transposable elements: targets for early nutritional effects on epigenetic gene regulation. Mol. Cell. Biol. 23:5293–5300. , and .
- 2010. Season of conception in rural gambia affects DNA methylation at putative human metastable epialleles. PLoS Genet. 6:e1001252. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Epigenetic programming by maternal behavior. Nat. Neurosci. 7:847–854. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. An expression microarray approach for the identification of metastable epialleles in the mouse genome. Epigenetics 6:1105–1113. , , , , , , et al.