Effects of ozone on zinc and cadmium accumulation in wheat – dose–response functions and relationship with protein, grain yield, and harvest index
Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 3186–3194, December 2012
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(12): 3186–3194
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 3 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 JUL 2012
- Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services in a Changing Climate
- 2008. Enrichment of cereal grains with zinc: agronomic or genetic biofortification? Plant Soil 302:1–17.
- 2001. Combined cadmium and ozone treatments affect photosynthesis and ascorbate-dependent defences in sunflower. New Phytol. 151:627–636. , , , and .
- EU. 2011. Commission Regulation (EU) No 420/2011 of 29 April 2011 amending Regulation (EC) No 1881/2006 setting maximum levels for certain contaminants in foodstuffs. Off. J. Eur. Union L. 111:3–6.
- 1999. Phenological development, leaf emergence, tillering and leaf area index of spring wheat across Europe in response to CO2 and ozone. Eur. J. Agron. 10:171–184. , and .
- 2008. Evidence of decreasing mineral density in wheat grain over the last 160 years. J. Trace Elem. Med Biol. 22:315–324. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Effects on nutrients and on grain quality in spring wheat crops grown under elevated CO2 concentrations and stress conditions in the European, multiple-site experiment ‘ESPACE-wheat’. Eur. J. Agron. 10:215–229. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Impact of elevated ozone concentration on growth, physiology, and yield of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.): a meta-analysis. Glob. Change Biol. 14:2696–2708. , , and .
- 1994. The critical level for ozone to protect agricultural crops – an assessment of data from European open-top chamber experiments. Pp. 42–57 in J. Fuhrer and B. Achermann, eds. Critical levels for ozone. UNECE Workshop Report, No. 16. Schriftenreihe der FAC Berne-Liebefeld, Berne, Switzerland.
- 1990. Effects of ozone on the grain composition of spring wheat grown in open-top chambers. Environ. Pollut. 65:181–192. , , , , and .
- 1997. Critical levels for ozone effects on vegetation in Europe. Environ. Pollut. 97:91–106. , , and .
- 1989. Growth and leaf senescence in spring wheat (Triticum aestivum) grown at different ozone concentration in open-top field chambers. Physiol. Plant. 77:389–394. , and .
- 2012. Combined cadmium and elevated ozone affect concentrations of cadmium and antioxidant systems in wheat under fully open-air conditions. J. Hazard. Mater. 209–210:27–33. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Cadmium pollution enhanced ozone damage to winter wheat: biochemical and physiological evidences. J. Environ. Sci. 23:255–265. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Rising atmospheric CO2 and human nutrition: toward globally imbalanced plant stoichiometry? Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:457–561.
- LRTAP Convention. 2010. Mapping critical levels for vegetation. Pp. III-0–III-114 in G. Mills, eds. Chapter 3 of the Manual on methodologies and criteria for modelling and mapping critical loads & levels and air pollution effects, risks and trends. Umweltbundesamt, Berlin. Available at http://icpvegetation.ceh.ac.uk/.
- 2011a. New stomatal flux-based critical levels for ozone effects on vegetation. Atmos. Environ. 45:5064–5068. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011b. Evidence of widespread effects of ozone on crops and (semi-)natural vegetation in Europe (1990–2006) in relation to AOT40- and flux-based risk maps. Glob. Change Biol. 17:592–613. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Climate change and food safety: an emerging issue with special focus on Europe. Food Chem. Toxicol. 47:1009–1021. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008a. The grain quality of spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) in relation to elevated ozone uptake and carbon dioxide exposure. Eur. J. Agron. 28:245–254. , , , , and .
- 2008b. The open-top chamber impact on vapour pressure deficit and its consequences for stomatal ozone uptake. Atmos. Environ. 42:6513–6522. , , , and .
- 2011. Reduced ozone by air filtration consistently improved grain yield in wheat. Environ. Pollut. 159:897–902.
- 2009. Yield dilution of grain Zn in wheat grown in open-top chamber experiments with elevated CO2 and O3 exposure. J. Cereal Sci. 50:278–282. , and .
- 2012. Yield vs. quality trade-offs for wheat in response to carbon dioxide and ozone. Glob. Change Biol. 18:596–605. , and .
- 1991. Yield and grain quality of spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L., cv. Drabant) exposed to different concentrations of ozone. Environ. Pollut. 69:151–168. , , , and .
- 1995. A process-oriented explanation of the non-linear relationship between grain yield of wheat and ozone exposure. New Phytol. 131:241–246. , , , and .
- 1998. Growth stage dependence of the grain yield response to ozone in spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 70:61–68. , , , , and .
- 2000. Effects of elevated carbon dioxide, ozone and water availability on spring wheat growth and yield. Physiol. Plant. 108:61–70. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Differential ozone sensitivity in an old and a modern Swedish wheat cultivar – grain yield and quality, leaf chlorophyll and stomatal conductance. Environ. Exp. Bot. 56:63–71. , , , , and .
- 2007. Ozone risk assessment for agricultural crops in Europe: deriving stomatal flux and flux-response relationships for European wheat and potato. Atmos. Environ. 41:3022–3040. , , , , and .
- 1995. Mechanisms of cadmium mobility and accumulation in Indian mustard. Plant Physiol. 109:1427–1433. , , , and .
- 2010. Cadmium, environmental exposure, and health outcomes. Environ. Health Perspect. 118:182–190. , , , and .
- 1995. Photochemical oxidant effects on vegetation. Water Air Soil Pollut. 85:111–122. , and .
- 1992. Effects of air filtration on spring wheat in open-top chambers at a rural site. II. Effects on mineral partitioning, sulphur and nitrogen metabolism and on grain quality. Environ. Pollut. 77:7–14. , , , and .
- 2011. Moving micronutrients from the soil to the seeds: genes and physiological processes from a biofortification perspective. Plant Sci. 180:562–574. , and .